Ancient church found where Jesus said to tell Peter to establish Christianity

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Ancient church found where Jesus said to tell Peter to establish Christianity
4th-century church, one of earliest in Israel, was built atop temple to Pan at spot in Banias where New Testament says Peter saw Jesus as Messiah, was told to spread his teachings
By Amanda Borschel-Dan

One of the earliest churches in Israel has been unearthed at the foot of breathtaking waterfalls in the scenic Banias Nature Reserve in Israel’s north. The rare circa 400 CE Byzantine church was build on top of a Roman-era temple to Pan, the Greek god from whom the park takes its name. The 4th-5th century Christian builders adapted the Roman pagan temple to fit the needs of the relatively new religion, said University of Haifa Prof. Adi Erlich in a brief Hebrew-language video announcing the find.

Erlich hypothesizes that the church was built to commemorate Jesus’s significant interactions with Peter — who recognized his teacher as the Messiah — that are documented to have taken place in the area, called “Caesarea of Philip” during Jesus’ time. According to some Christian traditions, it is in this region that Jesus tasked Peter with establishing Christianity and said the famous phrase, “You are Peter and, on this rock, I will build my Church… I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven,” which is recorded in Matthew 16:18.

more.......... https://www.timesofisrael.com/rare-...-atop-temple-to-pan-found-in-northern-israel/

Back