Alex Baldwin charged with Involuntary Manslaughter

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
He was a producer on the movie too, so he has actually been charged twice. In New Mexico, one of his charges (forgot which one) is a mandatory 5 years in jail if found guilty.

On another note, why in the world were real bullets anywhere near a movie set?!
It seems that someone deliberately put the live round in the gun. Sounds like a setup, but he should have checked the gun. Judge Jeanine says he could get up to 6 1/2 years. I hear his brother actor Stephen Baldwin is a Christian, and baptized his own mother before she passed away.

Last edited:

Kerbluey

This arrogant anti-gun freak has managed to do what millions of gun owners never have—kill someone with a gun. I can’t help but enjoy his being taken down a few notches. It’d be funny if not for his victim.

Anyway, apparently that day a lot of people had walked off the set in protest of how dangerous things were. I believe Alec had also ironically cancelled a gun safety meeting that day or recently.

SkyRider

This may been brought up before, but didn't go through all of the replies. I'm just wondering if, during the off hours, when they were not filming, that maybe some of the guys had a few beers or whatever, and since they were out in a remote site, started using the gun for target practice and then forgot about the live rounds still in the gun. I can see guys doing that for kicks, then forgetting to check the gun later before filming. Just my speculation. Still a horrible result.

SkyRider

Of course, and guys will be guys. It's fun to shoot at a target and to see who is the better shot. And if Baldwin had to cock the trigger first before being able to pull the trigger, you could see how mockingly, maybe, thinking the gun had only blanks in it, could as a joke, pretend to shoot someone for some laughs. Just supposing again…

depserv

I have to admit that I don't like Alec Baldwin very much, because he's a dedicated anti-gun bigot who wants government to kick my door in and forcefully take the guns the Constitution says I have a right to have, or kill me trying, but it's ok for him to have the gun he used to accidentally kill someone, and I assume he probably has armed bodyguards too. And in my experience anti-gun bigots tend to be careless of safety when they do handle guns. So this seems like poetic justice.

But I am still very sorry about this tragedy, including the fact that no matter how lenient our corrupt system might be, and in spite of his pitiful attempt at deception, on some level he knows that he did something stupid and fired a gun with his own hand, and in so doing killed an innocent person. He will live with that knowledge the rest of his life, even in spite of his mastery of what George Orwell called doublethink. He will relive the incident as he sits through both a criminal and a civil trial, and my guess is he will continue to do so from then on.

But maybe not, since these people seem to be sociopaths. They don't seem to mind their complicity in things that cause mass death, like the gun free zone policy that disarms the victims so the killer gets a higher body count. But this time he was the one who actually held the gun, pointed it at the victim, and pulled the trigger. And he was a producer too, so he is partly responsible for the lax safety, which he had been warned about. So who knows.

I'm mostly sorry for the young woman he killed, and her child. As I understand it she was a single mom, she got a good break in being given this job, and now she's dead, because of a stupid accident. Her child will grow up without a mother. I look at this like any other fatal industrial accident, or even a car accident; in the aftermath you ask how could anyone be that careless and that stupid? But then I'm reminded that I've been careless and stupid my share of the time too; I just got lucky and got away with it. And I thank God for that.

Look at how many movies have been made where the actors point guns either at the camera or each other, and I can only think of one other fatal gun accident, the one that killed Brandon Lee, and that one consisted of a weird and unlikely series of events. Maybe there have been others I never heard of, but given the commonality of this kind of movie (and not just westerns), we can say for certain that the industry has known how to safely make movies where people appear to be shooting each other longer than it has known how to include talking with the video.

So there is no excuse for this tragic accident. I'd say the same thing if I had been the one that did it. Why make excuses when the only judge that matters is the one you can't lie to? But I guess I don't know if Baldwin even believes that judge exists.

It does seem reasonable to assume that maybe someone intentionally placed live rounds into the gun for a malicious purpose, but if a year long investigation by professional investigators didn't come to that conclusion, and as far as I know didn't even give it as a possibility, it seems much more likely to me that it was indeed an accident, though there is always a small chance that it was intentional I suppose. Only God knows for sure.

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
I have to admit that I don't like Alec Baldwin very much, because he's a dedicated anti-gun bigot who wants government to kick my door in and forcefully take the guns the Constitution says I have a right to have, or kill me trying, but it's ok for him to have the gun he used to accidentally kill someone, and I assume he probably has armed bodyguards too. And in my experience anti-gun bigots tend to be careless of safety when they do handle guns. So this seems like poetic justice.

But I am still very sorry about this tragedy, including the fact that no matter how lenient our corrupt system might be, and in spite of his pitiful attempt at deception, on some level he knows that he did something stupid and fired a gun with his own hand, and in so doing killed an innocent person. He will live with that knowledge the rest of his life, even in spite of his mastery of what George Orwell called doublethink. He will relive the incident as he sits through both a criminal and a civil trial, and my guess is he will continue to do so from then on.

But maybe not, since these people seem to be sociopaths. They don't seem to mind their complicity in things that cause mass death, like the gun free zone policy that disarms the victims so the killer gets a higher body count. But this time he was the one who actually held the gun, pointed it at the victim, and pulled the trigger. And he was a producer too, so he is partly responsible for the lax safety, which he had been warned about. So who knows.

I'm mostly sorry for the young woman he killed, and her child. As I understand it she was a single mom, she got a good break in being given this job, and now she's dead, because of a stupid accident. Her child will grow up without a mother. I look at this like any other fatal industrial accident, or even a car accident; in the aftermath you ask how could anyone be that careless and that stupid? But then I'm reminded that I've been careless and stupid my share of the time too; I just got lucky and got away with it. And I thank God for that.

Look at how many movies have been made where the actors point guns either at the camera or each other, and I can only think of one other fatal gun accident, the one that killed Brandon Lee, and that one consisted of a weird and unlikely series of events. Maybe there have been others I never heard of, but given the commonality of this kind of movie (and not just westerns), we can say for certain that the industry has known how to safely make movies where people appear to be shooting each other longer than it has known how to include talking with the video.

So there is no excuse for this tragic accident. I'd say the same thing if I had been the one that did it. Why make excuses when the only judge that matters is the one you can't lie to? But I guess I don't know if Baldwin even believes that judge exists.

It does seem reasonable to assume that maybe someone intentionally placed live rounds into the gun for a malicious purpose, but if a year long investigation by professional investigators didn't come to that conclusion, and as far as I know didn't even give it as a possibility, it seems much more likely to me that it was indeed an accident, though there is always a small chance that it was intentional I suppose. Only God knows for sure.
The armorer should have checked it because that is their job. They should be trained enough to tell the difference between fake and real bullets. Something is very strange here. Alec was the producer so he should have also known the difference, and double checked it himself. If they were playing target practice, they should have used common sense enough to take out the real bullets. That is carelessness. I was a Security Guard in my younger days back in 1980-1983. You have to be alert of your surroundings as well.

Last edited:

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
This may been brought up before, but didn't go through all of the replies. I'm just wondering if, during the off hours, when they were not filming, that maybe some of the guys had a few beers or whatever, and since they were out in a remote site, started using the gun for target practice and then forgot about the live rounds still in the gun. I can see guys doing that for kicks, then forgetting to check the gun later before filming. Just my speculation. Still a horrible result.

I think way back at the beginning of this mess some articles indicated that some of the people there were shooting live ammo off set, plinking, as I would call it. Don't know that they were using the gun Baldwin was using, but I'd imagine someone put a live round somewhere where it shouldn't have been.

SkyRider

There are always the freak occurrences that happen on a movie set. Do you remember the Twilight Zone movie filmed years ago when John Landis, the director, wanted a helicopter to fly dangerously low in the scene to provide a more dramatic effect? The chopper flew over some explosives that were set to go off, and the explosions caused a loss of lift to the helicopter, it crashed and killed a couple of young children and the actor Vic Morrow in the incident. John Landis was held responsible but I forget what the outcome was in his trial. And all for a much more dramatic scene for the film.

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...
the media has stated "target practice" was taking place "after hours"
The movie guns should have been in a locked safe somewhere else. BYOG only works at live shooting events and specific locations. NEVER on a movie lot.

As for [potential] crime scenes, you need training and practice before you attempt to bring your own. Some states require it.
Considering some police struggle with the training they receive, anyone wanting to carry for self-defense should take courses voluntarily.

Dave123

My guess is that they will plead it down to 12 months on probation and a fine, if he pleads guilty. He is not going to go to prison. Whether he gets to work in Hollywood anymore is up in the air at this point.

SkyRider

The nine month trial resulted in an acquittal for John Landis on the charge of involuntary manslaughter.
If I remember right, they still used part of the footage but didn't show the actual deaths of the three. I don't think they re- filmed the scene, but I could be wrong.

Bethlehem57

About time:

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainme...aughter-fatal-rust-shooting-district-attorney

New Mexico First Judicial District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies announced charges in the death of Halyna Hutchins.

Alec Baldwin was charged with involuntary manslaughter, according to the district attorney. The armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed was also charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Before announcing the decision, the district attorney's office spent time reviewing a comprehensive report submitted by the Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office.

It's been over a year since the cinematographer was killed on the New Mexico movie set.

Halyna died when a gun Alec Baldwin was holding fired, while practicing a scene on Oct. 21, 2021. The group had been rehearsing in a small church on the Bonanza Creek Ranch set.

The Santa Fe County Sheriff's Department has spent the last year investigating how live rounds made it onto the movie set. Armorer Hannah Guiterrez-Reed and assistant director Dave Halls were the only other crew members believed to have handled the gun that fired on set.

"Never in a million years did Hannah think that live rounds could have been in the ‘dummy’ round box," one of Guiterrez-Reed's attorneys, Jason Bowles, said in a statement shared with Fox News shortly after the fatal accident. "Who put those in there and why is the central question."

Halls allegedly handed Baldwin a .45 revolver, telling him that it was "cold," or safe. Prior to that, Gutierrez-Reed spun the cylinder to show Halls what was in the gun, her lawyer said.

Baldwin has maintained that he did not pull the trigger of the gun – once during a prime-time interview shortly following the deadly shooting and again on a podcast episode. The actor originally said he had pulled the hammer of the gun back as far as he could and released it, but did not pull the trigger

Carmack-Altwies named Baldwin specifically in her request for emergency funding to prosecute the case. The DA explained that she anticipated prosecuting up to four individuals –possibly including Baldwin.

"The ‘Rust’ prosecution could be potentially be prosecutions from one (1) to four (4) defendants," Carmack-Altwies wrote in paperwork filed for an emergency grant. "One of the possible defendants is well-known movie actor Alec Baldwin."

A wrongful death lawsuit was filed against Alec Baldwin and other key members of the production on Feb. 15, 2022.
The lawsuit named Baldwin and others who "are responsible for the safety on the set" and called out "reckless behavior and cost-cutting" that led to the death of Hutchins, according to the family's lawyer.

Matthew Hutchins' attorneys interviewed witnesses before filing and created a video compiling evidence for the wrongful death lawsuit. In the video shared at a press conference, Matthew's lawyers reiterated claims from crew members that the "Rust" set was unsafe. The lawsuit claimed that Baldwin, who was also a producer on the film, and other "Rust" crew and cast committed "major breaches" of safety on the set.
The cinematographer's family sued for punitive damages and funeral and burial expenses among other things originally to be determined at trial. However, on Oct. 5, Halyna's husband announced the civil lawsuit had been settled pending court approval

Following the conclusion of the civil lawsuit, Matthew revealed that filming of "Rust" would continue in January 2023. The western film will not return to New Mexico, where Halyna's death occurred.

"The production of ‘Rust’ will not return to New Mexico," Melina Spadone, attorney for Rust Movie Productions LLC, told Fox News Digital. "The production is considering other locations, including in California, but no decisions have been made."

Although it hasn't been confirmed whether Baldwin will re-join the production, Matthew's initial announcement claimed the production would resume with "original principal players."
Head this yesterday ……

Back