Alec Baldwin kills one and injures another with a prop gun.

daygo

A picture of chaos and concern on the set of Alec Baldwin’s new western, Rust, has emerged from fresh accounts of the lead-up to the fatal shooting during filming on Thursday.

Only days into the three-week production schedule, new reports suggest that a worker had been so worried about weapon safety he had sent a text message to his manager warning of “super-unsafe” conditions.

The claim follows news that six hours before the firing of the shot that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, half-a-dozen camera crew walked off the set at Bonanza Creek Ranch in Santa Fe in protest at the working environment on the low-budget film. Complaints ranged from long hours, delayed pay cheques, and a 50-mile daily commute to accommodation in Albuquerque.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/crew-baldwin-film-raised-prop-183936353.html

Do not know if this a reliable link.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven

Total Disaster: We Know What Happened Prior to Alec Baldwin’s Accidental Shooting of Cinematographer​

Will they even finish this movie? First, the tragic shooting death during the production of Rust seems to have been a disaster in the making. Alec Baldwin accidentally shot and killed the film’s cinematographer and director this week. The cinematographer, Halyna Hutchins, was killed in the incident. Director Joel Souza was injured. It was an eerie throwback to the tragic death of Brandon Lee on the set of 1994’s The Crow in which he too was killed by a prop gun. Yet, there were other issues that plagued what appears to be a nightmare production.

The crew walked off set days before this deadly accident. There were complaints about the hours, the working conditions, paychecks, and safety measures. Since this accidental shooting, there are more leaks than the Iraqi Navy concerning what went down during this shoot. It’s a busted pipe. The prop guns weren’t checked properly—I mean, serious allegations here. Reportedly, nothing was followed per regulations. The LA Times had the story, along with a retelling of the tragic shooting death of Ms. Hutchins:

The camera operators and their assistants were frustrated by the conditions surrounding the low-budget film, including complaints about long hours, long commutes and collecting their paychecks, according to three people familiar with the matter who were not authorized to comment.
Safety protocols standard in the industry, including gun inspections, were not strictly followed on the “Rust” set near Santa Fe, the sources said. They said at least one of the camera operators complained last weekend to a production manager about gun safety on the set.
Three crew members who were present at the Bonanza Creek Ranch set on Saturday said they were particularly concerned about two accidental prop gun discharges.
Baldwin’s stunt double accidentally fired two rounds Saturday after being told that the gun was “cold” — lingo for a weapon that doesn’t have any ammunition, including blanks — two crew members who witnessed the episode told the Los Angeles Times.
“There should have been an investigation into what happened,” the crew member said. “There were no safety meetings. There was no assurance that it wouldn’t happen again. All they wanted to do was rush, rush, rush.”
A colleague was so alarmed by the prop gun misfires that he sent a text message to the unit production manager. “We’ve now had 3 accidental discharges. This is super unsafe,” according to a copy of the message reviewed by The Times.
[…]
Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was huddled around a monitor lining up her next camera shot when she was accidentally killed by the prop gun fired by Baldwin.
The actor was preparing to film a scene in which he pulls a gun out of a holster, according to a source close to the production. Crew members had already shouted “cold gun” on the set. The filmmaking team was lining up its camera angles and had yet to retreat to the video village, an on-set area where the crew gathers to watch filming from a distance via a monitor.
Instead, the B-camera operator was on a dolly with a monitor, checking out the potential shots. Hutchins was also looking at the monitor from over the operator’s shoulder, as was the movie’s director, Joel Souza, who was crouching just behind her.
Baldwin removed the gun from its holster once without incident, but the second time he repeated the action, ammunition flew toward the trio around the monitor. The projectile whizzed by the camera operator but penetrated Hutchins near her shoulder, then continued through to Souza. Hutchins immediately fell to the ground as crew members applied pressure to her wound in an attempt to stop the bleeding.
Late Friday, the Associated Press reported that Baldwin was handed a loaded weapon by an assistant director who indicated it was safe to use in the moments before the actor fired it, according to court records. The assistant director did not know the prop gun was loaded with live rounds, according to a search warrant filed in a Santa Fe County court.
The person in charge of overseeing the gun props, known as the armorer, Hannah Gutierrez Reed, could not be reached for comment. The 24-year-old is the daughter of veteran armorer Thell Reed and had recently completed her first film as the head armorer for the movie “The Old Way,” with Clint Howard and Nicolas Cage.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattv...d-alec-baldwin-to-accidentally-shoot-n2597875

I've yet to see any article describe the "live round" that was fired. Was it a blank, was it a regular bullet? Was there something in the barrel that got pushed out? Hopefully we'll eventually find out.

Chet

Why was the film director shot and why was Baldwin pointing the gun at her? I hope we find out what happened.
Perhaps she was in the back round of what the "target" of what the gun was being pointed at, and it went threw the target or simply missed altogether, since in acting aim isn't important, not to mention, live rounds are generally not used (to my knowledge, which I have none in regards to the acting/prop industry)

Rocky R.

It seems to be a regular bullet, since it penetrated through the camerawoman and struck the director behind her.
If it's a single bullet that went through two people, I think it's it's regular ball ammo, full-metal jacket. .357 caliber, perhaps?

Also, https://trendingpolitics.com/it-was...t-practice-off-set-knab/?utm_source=economics

It appears that the firearm Baldwin shot was also being used for target practice off-set; live rounds and blanks were also kept together. The article alleges it wasn't a "prop gun", but a real firearm, and that it was loaded with live rounds.

Last edited:

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven

Head Armorer on Alec Baldwin ‘Rust’ Movie Said She ‘Almost Didn’t Take’ Previous Job, Feared She Wasn’t ‘Ready’​

Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, the head armorer on the set of Alec Baldwin’s Rust Western, said she “almost didn’t take” her last job due to fears that she was not “ready.”

“I was really nervous about it at first and I almost didn’t take the job because I wasn’t sure if I was ready but doing it, like, it went really smoothly,” Gutierrez-Reed said in September, during an interview on the Voices of the West podcast.

Gutierrez-Reed shared that she had just finished her first movie as the head armorer in the upcoming film, The Old Way, starring Nicolas Cage.

The 24-year-old armorer — who is the daughter of longtime Hollywood firearms expert Thell Reed — added that she learned how to handle firearms from her father since she was a teen.

On Thursday, assistant director Dave Halls reportedly handed Baldwin a prop gun during a rehearsal, and yelled, “Cold gun” — meaning the firearm didn’t have any live rounds of ammunition in it.

Later, Baldwin pulled the trigger, sending one bullet straight through the film’s cinematographer, Halyna Hutchins (pictured), and then into the movie’s director, Joel Souza — killing Hutchins and injuring Souza.

https://www.breitbart.com/entertain...ke-her-last-job-over-fears-she-was-not-ready/

Andy C

Latest updated info on this accident.

Even though I firmly believe is was an accident, that if the crew was following gun safety protocol, could/should have been avoided, which is why I think its highly possible charges will be filed.

From the link below:

New details have emerged regarding the on-set incident in which Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun on the set of the movie "Rust" that resulted in the death of the film’s director of photography, Halyna Hutchins.

According to a search warrant obtained by the Los Angeles Times, the actor and crew were setting up a shot that required Baldwin to point the weapon at the camera. However, thanks to a creeping shadow, the camera had to be adjusted to a different angle. When Baldwin was explaining how he was going to draw his revolver from its holster and where his arm should be for the shot, the firearm went off.

Director Joel Souza explained that he heard "what sounded like a whip and then a loud pop," and noticed Hutchins, who he was standing behind at the time, grab her midsection as she stumbled backward. She "was assisted to the ground" by other crew members and camera operator Reid Russell recalls Hutchins saying she could not feel her legs.

Hutchins was later airlifted to the hospital where she was eventually pronounced dead. Souza, who was also injured in the incident, has since been released from the hospital.

Souza said three people were handling the gun for the scene. Armorer Hanna Gutierrez Reed reportedly handled three prop guns left on a cart outside the structure they were shooting in due to coronavirusrestrictions. Assistant director Dave Halls handed one of those guns to Baldwin. According to a Santa Fe court, Halls announced that it was a "cold gun" before giving it to the actor, lingo meaning that the firearm was unloaded.

Souza said in the warrant that the cast and crew prepared the scene before lunch and then had their meal away from the shooting location around 12:30 p.m. He was not sure if the gun was checked again when everyone returned from lunch.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/alec-baldwin-accidental-shooting-details-halyna-hutchins-death

Rocky R.

Wow this thread is off the rails with assumptions. I dislike Alex but we can't assume guilt because of his temper, views, etc... I do pray he hears the Gospel from his born again brother, Stephen, and gets saved.
I'm sure he's heard the Gospel, and I pray he listens to it now and takes it to heart. The time is short, and perhaps God allowed this to get his attention. I really hope Mrs. Hutchins was saved.

Back