Alec Baldwin kills one and injures another with a prop gun.

Rocky R.

In this country there is the presumption of innocence until a person is convicted. At least there used to be. It's shortsighted to make judgments on what happened and who is guilty of what based on snippets from news sources we don't even trust... As of right now no one has been arrested. If there was probable cause for an arrest at this time it would have happened. Hopefully authorities will get to the bottom of things and figure out the chain of events that led to this tragedy.

The presumption of guilt that I'm seeing in some of the posts in this thread saddens me.
You're right, brother. We shouldn't assume -- or wish -- the man is guilty just because we don't like him. We must wait for all the facts to come out. But I will dislike him even more if after this incident he comes out spewing gun control garbage out of his mouth. It's like that DEA agent who discharged a round into this own foot in front of a sixth grade class. He showed off his Glock 40 to the class in condition 1 (magazine inserted, no round in the chamber) by locking the slide back; but with the mag still inserted, he released the lock to put the slide back in position and in doing so chambered a round. He then said, "Now I'm da only wun in dis room dat I know of who qualified to carry this Glock 40. I'm da only one.... {{BANG!!}} Thankfully, none of the children were hurt and the only one injured was the Glock-qualified DEA agent's foot. Can you believe he had the brains to bring out an AR-15 weapon next for show and tell, and the children all shouted him down, "Put it away!"

Maybe next Rob Reiner will be directing an action film starring Jim Carrey and the same thing happens.

jayhawkbasketball

Gun safety protocols don’t get put aside just because “you’re at work”, or because “that’s someone else’s responsibility”. The very essence of gun safety procedures rest with the person handling, or about to handle, the gun.

This being a movie set though, and Alec being who he is, it’s obvious those protocols were never followed. At the very least, they weren’t teated with the respect they deserve.

There’s probably shared responsibility here, but part of that responsibility falls on Alec. That said, I doubt he’ll face the repercussions that all of us would. NBC…home of Saturday Night Live where Alec has starred many times…is already putting out the narrative of how the blame should fall on other people besides Alec. So, it sounds like Alec’s legal and PR people are already hard at work keeping their client out of jail.

Most people who’ve never shot a gun are astonished at how loud and powerful they are. The sound alone can deafen you with one shot if you don’t have adequate hearing protection. If you’ve ever shot one, you understand the immense responsibility literally held in your hands.

Sad for all involved.

Rocky R.

This was a movie, and with technology nowadays couldn't they have made a gun prop out of cardboard and used a combination of CGI, green-screen, and special effects to simulate the shootout? Yes, they could and they should have. This may sound callous, but anti-gun people lack the knowledge, training, responsibility, and maturity to safely handle firearms. This also goes for anyone who hasn't had any experience with them and instead received all their firearms knowledge from Alec Baldwin movies. Guns don't kill people -- Idiots do!

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Still wondering why he pointed a gun at people who aren't even actors. :confused:

I was perusing an article that explained that many times they want to get a shot with the camera directly in the line of fire. So you could have the cameraman and someone responsible for the shot right there. Sometimes they'll put up plexiglass to protect the workers from anything that comes out of the gun, though it won't protect against a real bullet. I've seen movies where the camera shot is directly in the line of fire. It may not be that the person holding the gun pointed it at non-actors, but that they were in the line of fire for the shot. Of course, I don't know if they were shooting a scene, practicing one, or doing something else...

daygo

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-59018391

The gun that actor Alec Baldwin fired on set, killing a woman, was handed to him by a director who told him it was safe, court records show.
Assistant director Dave Halls did not know the prop contained live ammunition and indicated it was unloaded by shouting "cold gun!", the records say.
Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was fatally shot in the chest in Thursday's incident on the set of the film Rust.
Director Joel Souza, who was standing behind her, was wounded.
The 48-year-old received emergency treatment for a shoulder injury and was later released from hospital.
Further details of the police investigation were released on Friday when a search warrant was filed at a court in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
It noted that Baldwin's blood-stained outfit was taken as evidence along with the gun. Ammunition and other prop weapons were also taken from the set by police.

fl2007rn

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-59018391

The gun that actor Alec Baldwin fired on set, killing a woman, was handed to him by a director who told him it was safe, court records show.
Assistant director Dave Halls did not know the prop contained live ammunition and indicated it was unloaded by shouting "cold gun!", the records say.
Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was fatally shot in the chest in Thursday's incident on the set of the film Rust.
Director Joel Souza, who was standing behind her, was wounded.
The 48-year-old received emergency treatment for a shoulder injury and was later released from hospital.
Further details of the police investigation were released on Friday when a search warrant was filed at a court in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
It noted that Baldwin's blood-stained outfit was taken as evidence along with the gun. Ammunition and other prop weapons were also taken from the set by police.

I would still check a weapon even if someone told me it was not loaded, but that comes from the excellent gun safety training that I had from my father and when I was in the Army.

DWB

Sad.
Says it was accidental.

I wasnt aware that Hollywood would actually keep mock guns loaded with something. Is that even necessary?
Never, never, ever, point a gun, loaded or empty, at another person. I see no reason to have a gun capable of firing live rounds at a movie set. Multiple people should be fired, Baldwin should face some type of charges, since he's a media darling and elite wannabe he will never be charged. Laws don't apply to people like that, only peons like me.

DWB

Just thought of something, and before I say anything let me point out that what was conspiracy theory just a little over a year ago has become true in America.

Could this have been a planned action by government with the intention to turn the incident into a cause spearheading gun control?? The only secular reason why we haven't turned into Australia (look it up) yet is because of the Second Amendment and our access to firearms. Remember that governments that try to disarm their citizens do so because they want to be able to hurt them without much resistance. They love the power too much to give it up, and that's why this whole thing is almost two years old with no sign of abating. What's stopping them from building COVID concentration camps for the unvaccinated? We're armed! Someone has supposedly died. Baldwin has not been arrested. In the same context, did Epstein commit suicide? Then tell me why Baldwin had the gun pointed towards the director and not an actor. Was he horsing around, or what's really going on?
I doubt it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it came out to be true. We found out yesterday that federal agents were egging on the Jan. 6th protesters, so anything is possible.

DWB

Gun safety protocols don’t get put aside just because “you’re at work”, or because “that’s someone else’s responsibility”. The very essence of gun safety procedures rest with the person handling, or about to handle, the gun.

This being a movie set though, and Alec being who he is, it’s obvious those protocols were never followed. At the very least, they weren’t teated with the respect they deserve.

There’s probably shared responsibility here, but part of that responsibility falls on Alec. That said, I doubt he’ll face the repercussions that all of us would. NBC…home of Saturday Night Live where Alec has starred many times…is already putting out the narrative of how the blame should fall on other people besides Alec. So, it sounds like Alec’s legal and PR people are already hard at work keeping their client out of jail.

Most people who’ve never shot a gun are astonished at how loud and powerful they are. The sound alone can deafen you with one shot if you don’t have adequate hearing protection. If you’ve ever shot one, you understand the immense responsibility literally held in your hands.

Sad for all involved.

I would still check a weapon even if someone told me it was not loaded, but that comes from the excellent gun safety training that I had from my father and when I was in the Army.
Unfortunately, many never had anyone to properly teach them about guns. I was taught early on about gun safety, even encouraged to handle guns as to prevent the natural curiosity so I wouldn't be tempted to sneak and play with them.

kathymendel

From what I've read, there was discord on the set with threats of crew members walking off the job.
Alec, along with acting in the film, was also listed as a producer or director. I could see him getting angry over a possible
walk-out or if things weren't being done the way he wanted. Why was there a gun - and more-so, live ammunition in the area
at all???? Why would live ammunition be on the set?? Did someone else want someone shot, like in so many murder mysteries
we all watch on tv or in the movies?? Truly puzzling, that's for sure............

Jonathan

From what I've read, there was discord on the set with threats of crew members walking off the job.
Alec, along with acting in the film, was also listed as a producer or director. I could see him getting angry over a possible
walk-out or if things weren't being done the way he wanted. Why was there a gun - and more-so, live ammunition in the area
at all???? Why would live ammunition be on the set?? Did someone else want someone shot, like in so many murder mysteries
we all watch on tv or in the movies?? Truly puzzling, that's for sure............
All great questions. I often wondered that as well after Bruce Lee's son was killed on the set of "The Crow." The only thing I can think of (besides foul play, of course), is that a live round, unlike a blank, is realistic when discharged. It causes recoil. The barrel jumps up a few inches and the psychological impact on the actor is probably beneficial if you are going for as much realism as possible. So if the director was going for realism, I can see how they would prefer real and live ammo as opposed to blanks.

However, none of what I just said excuses what happened. Such things should be tightly controlled, ESPECIALLY when dealing with actors who, aren't, well, always the sharpest knives in the drawer.

I've seen photos of the lady that was killed. She looked young and ambitious and probably had a great future ahead of her. May she RIP and my prayers go out to her family.

TimeWarpWife

The latest article I read about this stated that the producers had hired non-union production people and the person who was in charge of props wasn't a union member. This was another reason the union production people were walking off the set, they were concerned about the safety of making the movie because of these non-union workers. The union production people felt these other workers weren't properly trained, which may have turned out to be a valid concern if it turns out the props manager mistakenly or accidentally put a live round in the gun. It's a sad situation all around. :sad Alec's brother, Stephen, says he's a Christian, so maybe he can use this as time of witnessing to Alec and maybe he'll come to Christ. :pray

Back