Alec Baldwin kills one and injures another with a prop gun.

Andy C

Im not sure whats in the water, but maybe it needs filtering before posting…….…:oops: Over the years, I have lost count on how many posts I made in the heat of the moment, then retracted it later on, back in the olden days when we had that option on this forum.

I personally cant stand Baldwin, but if it was more than an accident on his part, and with witnesses to the shooting, he would already be arrested. Accidents happen, but if there is more to this story, it's who put the live rounds in the weapon.

This is sad, but it’s not Alec’s fault though. Imagine how he feels right now. :( It’s happened a few times before on other movie sets. I remember when Brandon Lee died on the set of the Crow movie towards the end of filming. I was so sad.. in his case, a portion of a bullet shell remained lodged in the gun, then packed with blanks.

Last edited:

Rocky R.

No, it's happened because Baldwin is hot-headed and stupid.
Yes, that is certainly very, very possible. Now that just gives me an image of Baldwin foaming at the mouth spewing plenty of spittle, rants, and dissertations while waving around a small revolver, then taking that same gun and twirling it on one finger like a fidget-spinner, his meaty digit positioned inside the trigger guard between the front of the trigger and the inside of the trigger guard. While he spins the thing, he rants back and forth between gun control and Trump, racist white people and Trump, NRA and Trump when suddenly the gun goes off...

Rocky R.

This is sad, but it’s not Alec’s fault though. Imagine how he feels right now. :( It’s happened a few times before on other movie sets. I remember when Brandon Lee died on the set of the Crow movie towards the end of filming. I was so sad.. in his case, a portion of a bullet shell remained in the gun, then packed with blanks.
I don't know who "fitted" that prop of his with a real, live round but if it's Baldwin then he either really had it out for the director or he's the only gun-toting liberal in the room that can't tell the difference between blanks and live ammo, but he definitely knows that you load the bullets with the pointy part positioned towards the exit hole of the gun.

I don't know who "fitted" that prop of his with a real, live round but if it's Baldwin then he either really had it out for the director or he's the only liberal in the room that can't tell the difference between blanks and live ammo, but he definitely knows that you load the bullets with the pointy part positioned towards the exit hole of the gun.
The story unfolds..but I def don’t think he did it on purpose. I’m sure there are other people in charge of that, so they’ll likely be the ones at blame not the big time celeb. If it were me, I would be upset and distraught which they say he is. There’s probably no real fire arms training or proper usage training involved and someone’s TUSHY is gonna get handed to them. Just so, so sad..

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I personally cant stand Baldwin, but if it was more than an accident on his part, and with witnesses to the shooting, he would already be arrested. Accidents happen, but if there is more to this story, it's who put the live rounds in the weapon.

In this country there is the presumption of innocence until a person is convicted. At least there used to be. It's shortsighted to make judgments on what happened and who is guilty of what based on snippets from news sources we don't even trust... As of right now no one has been arrested. If there was probable cause for an arrest at this time it would have happened. Hopefully authorities will get to the bottom of things and figure out the chain of events that led to this tragedy.

The presumption of guilt that I'm seeing in some of the posts in this thread saddens me.

Andy C

In this country there is the presumption of innocence until a person is convicted. At least there used to be. It's shortsighted to make judgments on what happened and who is guilty of what based on snippets from news sources we don't even trust... As of right now no one has been arrested. If there was probable cause for an arrest at this time it would have happened. Hopefully authorities will get to the bottom of things and figure out the chain of events that led to this tragedy.

The presumption of guilt that I'm seeing in some of the posts in this thread saddens me.
Well said TT.

I think some seem to see conspiracy in everything.

Hiftobaf

I am hearing conflicting reports. Was their only 1 bullet fired that went thru 2 people or was their 2 bullets fired???

The early reports (which for all we know may change) are that it was one bullet fired, that penetrated through the camerawoman and then struck the director.

I don't believe Baldwin intentionally shot anyone, but I think it's very possible he was so negligent that it could warrant a manslaughter charge. At least this took place on a movie set, so there's probably a lot of video footage of the events leading up to the shooting.

Jonathan

While there is nothing wrong with any of the speculation as far as I see it (I meant that), I am mostly going to kind of give this a couple days where hopefully more information can come out before making a hard and fast judgement.

I will say this (which is speculation):

1) Prop master or not, proper gun safety dictates that you ALWAYS assume a gun is loaded until you visually verify the chamber, and even then, you still treat it as loaded unless you are intentionally engaging in something like dryfiring, testing, etc. Even then, though, you never point any gun at another person. In that sense, I am not quite sure what happened here with Alec. Was he engaging in a joke? Did he maybe think there was a blank in there and was trying to get a rise out of the director and the cinematographer? I don't know.

2) As much as I despise Alec on a political level, I would never wish anyone to have to live the rest of their lives knowing they had killed someone, even if it wasn't fully their fault.

Anyways, more information will hopefully be released in the days ahead.

Jonathan

Also, to those who aren't familiar with firearms, remember that blanks can still be deadly. They aren't pop guns. They have to have enough energy to cycle the action and any force shot backwards will result in a equal force shooting forward (Newton's Law). At close range, anything in the chamber or barrel (specifically the remains of the blank round itself) becomes a projectile and can be lethal.

However, with the description of what happened to the two victims, it sounds like it was most likely a live round.

Accepted

This looks like a probable tragic accident, but there were apparently known safety errors already happening on the set. Crew members had walked off the set earlier the same day because of it. Baldwin, as a producer of the movie as well as an actor, may hold quite a bit of responsibility. It’s so sad for all of them, and sounds like some stupidity was involved!

Armor of Light

Praising my Savior all the day long!
Since they were filming a western, I am going to take a guess the weapon was a western 6 gun, like a Colt single action, would be easy to check the rounds and see what was loaded in the cylinder, if it was me handling the weapon I would have checked, but I am very familiar with weapons, sad turn of events in any case.

Hiftobaf

Since they were filming a western, I am going to take a guess the weapon was a western 6 gun, like a Colt single action, would be easy to check the rounds and see what was loaded in the cylinder, if it was me handling the weapon I would have checked, but I am very familiar with weapons, sad turn of events in any case.

I'd imagine Baldwin would have taken a basic firearms safety course, if he was going to handle weapons on camera.

depserv

Alec had to know that the gun was a real gun. The only time he had a legitimate reason to point it at somebody was if he was filming a scene, and the people he shot were not actors. So that rules that out. I do not know what else could alleviate him of guilt. Someone else might well share in that guilt, but the one who holds the gun, points it at a person, and pulls the trigger is responsible for what a bullet fired from that gun does.

Memo to anti-gun Hollywood hypocrites who handle guns: Even if you know a gun is unloaded you are not supposed to point it at anybody: the first rule of gun safety is treat every gun as though it's loaded, and the second rule is don't point it at people.

If Alec Baldwin had listened to the NRA about gun safety instead of attacking it he would not have innocent blood on his hands.

Moral of the story: don't be like Alec.

depserv

I remember years ago Brandon Lee, the son of Bruce Lee, was shot and killed while filming a movie. This case I believe is an example of it not being the fault of the one who pulled the trigger.

From what I remember reading at the time (and this is taken from memory of something that happened many years ago), they had filmed a closeup of the gun pointing at the camera. It was a revolver, and that means you can see the bullets in the cylinder when you look at it from that direction. They wanted the bullets to be seen but for safety they didn't want live rounds in the gun. So they pulled the bullets out of the case, dumped the powder out, and put the bullets back in so they looked like live rounds.

After filming the scene someone pulled the trigger and it made a pop from the primer going off. What they didn't know (and I guess the expert gun handler was not there that day) was that the primer has enough power to force the bullet into the barrel, but not all the way through it. Since the bullet fits tight enough that the rifling grooves cut into it, the fit is tight and the bullet stays there.

This is called a squib load and it is something everyone who shoots should be aware of. Sometimes it happens with reloaded ammo and I have had it happen once with factory reloaded ammo (which I quit using). You can tell a squib because the recoil and sound are very light and in a semiauto it will probably not cycle another round into the chamber. If you do fire another round it will cause the barrel to burst, which will not only do serious damage to your gun but can be dangerous too.

In the case of Brandon Lee they loaded the gun that had the bullet stuck in the barrel with blanks. And the blank had plenty of power to make the bullet lethal.

In this case the one who shot Brandon was probably not acting irresponsibly, since he should have had reason to think the gun was safe, and filming a scene is a time when pointing a gun at someone is ok. But they should not have been filming a shooting scene unless their professional gun expert was right there.

Back