1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air defense expert: I hoped Israel would never need to use Arrow system

Discussion in 'Israel & Middle East News' started by Chris, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Air defense expert: I hoped Israel would never need to use Arrow system
    By Anna Ahronheim
    March 19, 2017 18:44
    Israeli defense expert lauds anti-missile tech use, cautions against future use
    An "Arrow 3" ballistic missile interceptor is seen during its test launch near Ashdod. (photo credit:REUTERS)

The former head of the Arrow anti-ballistic missile project, Uzi Rubin, said on Sunday that he was certain the Air Force made the right decision in using the system over the weekend to successfully intercept incoming Syrian surface-to-air missiles fired against Israeli jets early Friday morning. “While I hoped that the state would never need to use the system, I am sure that the Air Force made the right choice in using the system,” Rubin told the The Jerusalem Post.

The Syrians claimed that one Israeli jet had been shot down and another damaged by SA-5 missiles, a claimed strongly denied by the army which confirmed the first use of Israel’s missile defense system to intercept a missile north of Jerusalem. The Air Force is currently investigating whether or not the use of Arrow was necessary given that the system was designed to intercept much larger and significant missiles, but was still used to successfully shoot down the Syrian projectile.

Former prime minister and defense minister Ehud Barak also questioned the use of the system on Saturday at a lecture in Beersheba saying that “it could be that with more thorough thought, it wasn’t worth firing.” But according to Rubin, the Arrow system “was designed exactly” for what it was used for on Friday.

more.............http://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-C...-right-choice-in-use-of-missile-system-484581

2. DanLMP

DanLMP Well-Known Member

Who had time for that? Better to over react than under react.

3. Brent101

Brent101 Well-Known Member

Until Israel's mid-tier "David's Sling" system is operational, this is exactly what Arrow should be used for.

DanLMP likes this.