Age of accountability

mattfivefour

In the original Greek the words literally say "children of the curse." We can compare that with "children of wrath" in Ephesians 2:3 where it refers to the unsaved. We all once were children of wrath living under God's curse. But now by faith in Christ we are children of God. Our enjoyment of the blessings of God and avoidance of the curses of God (both of which are laid out in detail in Deuteronomy 28) are the result not of our obedience to the external law but of our obedience of faith in Jesus Christ and His perfect, all-sufficient sacrifice. By that faith, God declares us righteous ... just as he did Abraham.

Batfan7

I have very young kids and so this topic has been on my mind lately. The likely soon-coming Rapture gives me an urgency to see my kids come to know Jesus and the gospel as soon as possible. But my 3 year old just isn't old enough to "get it" yet. So the idea of an age of accountability gives me a peace and comfort that I would otherwise would not have for my kids.

I have been taught that while we don't know an exact age for this accountability that around puberty is probable. I'd personally prefer a later age as I just keep imagining that the Rapture comes and a 13 year old is left behind while his whole family is taken- it's kind of a horrifying thought. That's not old enough to take care of yourself! Even 15 is pushing it.

I just have to trust that God will do what is right . And pray for the children.

kathymendel

The only thing that comes to my mind, is that in the Jewish faith, age thirteen is when a bat mitzvah or a bar mitzvah is held for a boy or girl. This is when the child accepts for himself the tenants of Judaism. They study long and hard for about a year or so for it. In today's world, it is now more of a rite, than a serious dedication of themselves to God...........for many of them.

We are told that Jesus left his mother and father in Jerusalem, and was talking with - and teaching - the high holy men of the city............when He was twelve years old. He told his parents he was "about my father's business."

So, I am inclined to say the age would be around twelve or thirteen. Let's face it - back in biblical days people were marrying not much older than that. So, they were responsible citizens long before the kids in our day and age are held accountable for themselves. JMHO

This is why it is so important to instill our faith in God to our children while they are young.

Watching and Waiting

I too, get tangled up thinking about this. Like, lenraff I end up leaving it with God.

I don't know what the age is or where exactly to find it, but, I always return to Gen.18:25 Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right? So yes, I believe there is an age of accountability.

I think the truth is more likely to vary from person to person. It won't be all children under 9, because then we will split hairs and say, "What about the child who is 9 years and 1 day, 2 days?" etc. There are evil children in the world, did the boys who murdered little James Bolger know what they were doing?

I have wondered too, does God, who knows everything, know that this 12 year old would have become a Christian at some point, so I will take him? Or this one will never come to faith, so he stays?

Again like lenraff, I am glad I can leave it in my Father's hands, as this is waaay above my pay grade. :)

Jeff K

I don't know the exact numbers, but I have heard and read that up to 80% of college freshmen leave the Christian faith that they were brought up with before they finish their first year.

Is this largely due to adults so anxious to lead a child to Christ that they get them to say a prayer without hearing the whole or real gospel, and / or not being old enough to understand it? It's easy in youth ministry to think - "these kids all come from strong Christian homes, they must all be saved", and feel no need to ever present the full gospel. There have been several times when talking to a youth that they said they were going to heaven because they prayed a prayer, with no mention of what Jesus did for them.

The cults have no problem pushing their agenda upon the kids at a very young age through many things electronic. The battle rages for the young souls and if we don't engage in that battle on behalf of the youth, not knowing the age of accountability, well, per the statistics, the results aren't very good.

I believe there is an age of accountability, but because I do not know it, I take every opportunity I can to give the full gospel to the youth. I would hate to assume the age is 20 something and lose the opportunity when the age was much younger.

Last edited:

Ducati

I have always found it interesting that the only real time the Bible spoke of Jesus' childhood with any relevance is at the Temple Preaching at the age of 12.

".....did you not know I would be about my Fathers business?"

Love His Appearing

All of your arguments sound good. I'm not really sure where I stand cuz I haven't studied it myself ....BUT...if there IS an AoA would the opposite then also be true? Because that is terrifying. What if a child comes to Jesus at young age, then in his/her teens falls away from the faith so that when he/she hits that "age" (whatever it may be) he is in a place where he thinks Jesus isn't real after all? Cuz I am pretty sure most kids go through a phase of questioning their faith--I mean questioning if it really is THEIR faith or just something they picked up from their parents along the way, like politics? Can we still say OSAS if someone was saved BEFORE the AoA then falls away? (OBVIOUSLY I am a HUGE believer in OSAS, so maybe I am just over thinking. Wouldn't be the first time).

I think it's a lovely idea that all the children are saved no matter what. But I had truthfully never heard that doctrine before I read the Left Behind series. I was always taught that we were all born in sin, so it just never occurred me that babies are an exception. I've always found great comfort that my children were saved at a very young age because I know that He who began a good work in them will finish it despite what the world throws at them.

Batfan7

All of your arguments sound good. I'm not really sure where I stand cuz I haven't studied it myself ....BUT...if there IS an AoA would the opposite then also be true? Because that is terrifying. What if a child comes to Jesus at young age, then in his/her teens falls away from the faith so that when he/she hits that "age" (whatever it may be) he is in a place where he thinks Jesus isn't real after all? Cuz I am pretty sure most kids go through a phase of questioning their faith--I mean questioning if it really is THEIR faith or just something they picked up from their parents along the way, like politics? Can we still say OSAS if someone was saved BEFORE the AoA then falls away? (OBVIOUSLY I am a HUGE believer in OSAS, so maybe I am just over thinking. Wouldn't be the first time).

I think it's a lovely idea that all the children are saved no matter what. But I had truthfully never heard that doctrine before I read the Left Behind series. I was always taught that we were all born in sin, so it just never occurred me that babies are an exception. I've always found great comfort that my children were saved at a very young age because I know that He who began a good work in them will finish it despite what the world throws at them.

Well, I have to believe in the AoA because my kids are simply too young to "get it". I was trying to tell my 3 year old about God who comes to live in your heart and his response? "Like a germ?" LOL. Yeah, no, not quite, honey.

Anyway, as to your idea about kids who say the prayer and then question their faith - that would be me. I said the prayer as a child (maybe age 6?), and I can remember later, as a teen, telling God, "I'm not sure I really believe this. I think it's more true than, say, Hinduism. Is that good enough?". I don't think I was really saved until college when I finally really believed it for myself. So what do I do with that? I agree with the OSAS, but I'm not sure I'd count my 6 yr old self's prayer as a conscious declaration of real belief. Looking back I'd call it an act of following what my parents wanted me to do. So perhaps I was unsaved until college.

On the other hand, you could argue that I was saved the whole time because God never let me go and I'm definitely saved now.

Back