Advice on Church

Channah

Hello. My husband and I started going to this church which is Church of God in Christ. My husband has been friends with the Bishop for a long time but we just recently started attending there. The people are wonderful, loving and so very sweet. The problem I get is that I get a restless feeling as the Pastor does not pray at the beginning of service and the Word of God is not read. I feel so hungry after service,

I do get hard on myself, asking if I'm being judgmental and all that but I hate words like empowerment, global, etc. and emotions running high. The worship music is awesome tho and like I said I feel restless and just seem to be waiting to hear God's Word read.

When my husband was going there long time ago, I went to a different church. What would you do?

chaser

When I am restless in a church it is usually the Holy Spirit telling me time to go. No preaching the word, no prayer , not what your spirit needs. Could take some prayer to get out of there since your husband is friends with bishop, prayers for husband to receive some discernment from Holy Spirit.
:pray Will pray for your situation and husband:pray

Lovin Jesus

Hello. My husband and I started going to this church which is Church of God in Christ. My husband has been friends with the Bishop for a long time but we just recently started attending there. The people are wonderful, loving and so very sweet. The problem I get is that I get a restless feeling as the Pastor does not pray at the beginning of service and the Word of God is not read. I feel so hungry after service,

I do get hard on myself, asking if I'm being judgmental and all that but I hate words like empowerment, global, etc. and emotions running high. The worship music is awesome tho and like I said I feel restless and just seem to be waiting to hear God's Word read.

When my husband was going there long time ago, I went to a different church. What would you do?
Maybe your uneasy feeling is the Holy Spirit alerting you that something is wrong. The apostle Paul advised that we should do as the Bereans did and examine the scriptures to see whether What we are being preached is actually so. If the scriptures are not being read then it's difficult to compare what is being preached with Gods inspired word. Pray about it and ask the Holy Spirit to guide you.

Cindy S.

Trust your gut. If I would've trusted my instincts I wouldn't have to suffer as much as I have.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
My husband and I started going to this church which is Church of God in Christ.
Well, just taking a look at some information about them, I have a few red flags going up for myself. Don't know if this is the same church but here's what I've found: https://thechurchofgodinchrist.wikia.org/wiki/Church_of_God_in_Christ

You might start with doing some serious research on what this church is really about, the one you are attending. There's a difference between being judgemental and prudently discerning. It's wise to exercise discernment, especially with what you are observing thus far. In those observations alone there's a couple of red flags right there. :sad

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
My chief concern with the COGIC's beliefs is this: "(COGIC) does not promulgate nor encourage the doctrine of 'eternal security,' also known as 'once saved, always saved.'" That alone would bar me from the pulpit and membership there (although it would not stop me from fellowshipping with them. I have COGIC friends, including pastors.)

That said, there is a LOT to recommend the denomination. HOWEVER, do bear in mend that a church is a local body of believers who assemble under the shepherdship of a pastor. There are good pastors, but there are hirelings. The COGIC name alone does not guarantee sound doctrine or practice. Many COGICs have gone emergent, others have gone charismaniac. So you need to check the church out and --if it does not feel right, if what they preach does not line up with Scripture, if what they practice does not equate to Scripture-- leave it.

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
Maybe your uneasy feeling is the Holy Spirit alerting you that something is wrong. The apostle Paul advised that we should do as the Bereans did and examine the scriptures to see whether What we are being preached is actually so. If the scriptures are not being read then it's difficult to compare what is being preached with Gods inspired word. Pray about it and ask the Holy Spirit to guide you.
I absolutely agree listen to what they actually believe, and the Holy Spirit is your teacher to lead you as to what to do!
My chief concern with the COGIC's beliefs is this: "(COGIC) does not promulgate nor encourage the doctrine of 'eternal security,' also known as 'once saved, always saved.'" That alone would bar me from the pulpit and membership there (although it would not stop me from fellowshipping with them. I have COGIC friends, including pastors.)

That said, there is a LOT to recommend the denomination. HOWEVER, do bear in mend that a church is a local body of believers who assemble under the shepherdship of a pastor. There are good pastors, but there are hirelings. The COGIC name alone does not guarantee sound doctrine or practice. Many COGICs have gone emergent, others have gone charismaniac. So you need to check the church out and --if it does not feel right, if what they preach does not line up with Scripture, if what they practice does not equate to Scripture-- leave it.
I absolutely agree because if it isn't OSAS they are works based which means trying to teach you another gospel.