Advice needed - anybody have a counter-depth refrigerator?

Leigh

Our Samsung refrigerator (which is only 6 or 7 years old) has been acting up. The ice maker quit working and then the coil froze, which leaked water all over the place when we unplugged it. Turns out many companies won't work on Samsung, although one repairman did tell me that if I find someone to fix it, it will likely run $500-600 and the problem will probably recur.

We're getting ready to renovate our kitchen soon anyway (we've been saying that for 10 years now, but this time we REALLY are :biggrin2) and have been considering a counter-depth fridge to save on floor space. The biggest complaint is loss of storage space since they're not as deep, but it's just the 2 of us at home now, plus we have an old fridge out in the garage that we already use for overflow so that's not a big concern.

We're a little under the gun because Lowe's has a good sale going, but it ends on 7/20 so we need to make our decision in the next two days, if we plan to buy from Lowe's. We've been there three times already looking at the different brands and can't seem to make up our minds, so if anybody has any advice we're all ears.

Thank you. :)

RobinB

Never heard of counter-depth. We need a smaller than typical fridge due to the shape of our kitchen, and the last one was very hard to find. We're considering taking out some cabinets when we start shopping for a new one, because even though it's just 2 of us, we really don't like the smaller fridge. Think about it-- stuff is on a good sale but you don't have the room.

Guests are coming and you want to prepare stuff ahead of time, but no room in the fridge. It's very annoying.

Leigh

Never heard of counter-depth. We need a smaller than typical fridge due to the shape of our kitchen, and the last one was very hard to find. We're considering taking out some cabinets when we start shopping for a new one, because even though it's just 2 of us, we really don't like the smaller fridge. Think about it-- stuff is on a good sale but you don't have the room.

Guests are coming and you want to prepare stuff ahead of time, but no room in the fridge. It's very annoying.
I understand Robin. If you don't have space for another fridge or freezer somewhere else in your home, then it probably would be best to remove some cabinets to make room for a full-size fridge, for all the reasons you mention.

Our kitchen is fairly small in proportion to the rest of the house, and the current layout isn't very efficient, but we hope to fix that when we renovate. Having a counter-depth refrigerator would give us a tad more floor space.

Leigh

What exactly is a counter depth fridge? Just googled it... so I know now. They don't stick out further than the counters...
That's right! I'd never heard of one either until we started shopping for our previous fridge (the Samsung). At the time we still had both boys at home and needed more capacity so we didn't even consider counter-depth, plus they cost more anyway. More $$ for fewer cubic feet. Seems crazy to me, but apparently people buy them because there's a fairly good selection!

Leigh

I think we've decided to just wait on a new fridge. Tonight we plugged the Samsung back in and will use it as-is and make ice the old-fashioned way (ice trays!!) for awhile. We might repair it, or we might keep a watch out for more sales and see what comes up in the future.

I went to a scratch-and-dent store today (they sell new also) and they said they sometimes get perfect-condition appliances (no scratches or dents) when models are being cleared to make room for new ones, so there's a chance we might get a better bargain than the ones on sale right now.

Still interested to hear if anybody here has a counter-depth, so please let me know! :)

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I grew up with counter depth. The deeper ones are a "new-fangled" contraption :lol

I really, really prefer counter-depth because much, much easier to reach things and stuff doesn't get lost or forgotten :smile
I'm very short, but people shrink as they age, plus people end up in wheelchairs, so this can make a huge difference, even with a reacher/grabber thing.

I also prefer a top refrigerator/bottom freezer (door-type, not drawer freezer) for the same reasons as above, and a single top door because a dozen egg carton fits in the door (they don't in most French door models). Top-refrigerator/bottom freezer models are often more efficient so save energy.

Ice and water dispenser nice to have, but not essential. Important to have a comprehensive in-line water filter or whole-house in some areas. The in-line can be a giant pain to change (or monitor for making sure it gets changed when it should). Sometimes using a filter/purifier pitcher is easier from a filter monitoring and changing perspective, and maybe better for sanitation, but not quite as easy as just pushing a glass against the dispenser lever outside the refrigerator, especially for elderly/disabled.

I absolutely despise side-by-side refrigerator-freezers because stuff doesn't fit in them very well and inefficient energy-wise/keeping cold with multiple openings per day.

Sometimes getting an extra crisper or meat drawer/shelf will make a huge difference in capacity, even without getting a bigger model. Ditto using some organization-type items.

Ghoti Ichthus

I understand Robin. If you don't have space for another fridge or freezer somewhere else in your home, then it probably would be best to remove some cabinets to make room for a full-size fridge, for all the reasons you mention.

Our kitchen is fairly small in proportion to the rest of the house, and the current layout isn't very efficient, but we hope to fix that when we renovate. Having a counter-depth refrigerator would give us a tad more floor space.

Funny how times change. Counter-depth used to be full-sized and the deeper fridges were called deep, extra large, or oversized :lol Large families did just fine with counter-depth because that's what there was, although many did have a second fridge and/or a separate freezer(s). Probably the driving force for invention of the oversized, deep refrigerator-freezers :smile

Ice boxes had no freezers and were counter-depth, but had pretty good refrigerator capacity because no compressor or coils :lol But, there was the drip tray that had to be emptied and cleaned every day (twice a day in the summer). Nice to have two drip trays so one could be under the ice box while the other one was being emptied and cleaned. Don't let the tray get full or it would spill when carrying it to the sink or out to the plants, or overflow, and then have to mop the floor. If it overflowed, the whole ice box had to be moved to mop under it :eek Good to do this every few weeks, anyway. The wooden ice boxes insulated better than the new-fangled metal/plastic/foam insulated ones, but had to be kept drier to prevent mold/mildew (giant pain in the neck).

ahlecce

I have a Samsung counter-depth. I will never purchase Samsung again. From my understanding the ice makers are notorious for breaking. Ours hasn’t worked for the last six months. This is the third time it’s quit working since we had the unit.
It’s nice to be able to reach things in it, but it’s also small. If you have something large, such as a turkey, you’re probably going to have to do some maneuvering or take out a shelf to get it to fit.

Ghoti Ichthus

I have a Samsung counter-depth. I will never purchase Samsung again. From my understanding the ice makers are notorious for breaking. Ours hasn’t worked for the last six months. This is the third time it’s quit working since we had the unit.
It’s nice to be able to reach things in it, but it’s also small. If you have something large, such as a turkey, you’re probably going to have to do some maneuvering or take out a shelf to get it to fit.

The modern counter-depth have split, adjustable shelves, so pretty easy to do. Getting an extra shelf or extra shelf with crisper or drawer isn't expensive and can make a huge difference in capacity and organization.

Leigh

Love all the comments! Thank you all so much! I can’t type much because I’m away and working off my iPad right now.

But — I did what I said I wasn’t going to do. At the 11th hour (literally… although you military folks might call it the 23rd hour?), I ordered an LG counter depth fridge online from Costco. Snagged it right before the July 4th sale ended at midnight last night. Let’s hope it’s better than Samsung!

It won’t arrive for a month, but that’s OK. The old one is still working for now.

Ghoti Ichthus

Love all the comments! Thank you all so much! I can’t type much because I’m away and working off my iPad right now.

But — I did what I said I wasn’t going to do. At the 11th hour (literally… although you military folks might call it the 23rd hour?), I ordered an LG counter depth fridge online from Costco. Snagged it right before the July 4th sale ended at midnight last night. Let’s hope it’s better than Samsung!

It won’t arrive for a month, but that’s OK. The old one is still working for now.
Hope you like it. I've had positive experiences with LG products :smile

athenasius

Leigh I don't have experience with that counter depth thing but like @Ghoti Ichthus said I do have experience with LG and I LOVE MY LG appliances. Workhorses!

I started buying LG almost 15 years ago when I replaced the washer dryer set in the house before we moved to the apartment.

Then after we moved here to the apartment --the builder model appliances started giving out on me.

First our apartment washer and dryer needed replacing when the builder model washer started to SMOKE. My new set as I call them are 10 years old now and going STRONG! LG --bought from Sears-- our appliance guy who sold us all the stuff we had in the house before we moved to the apartment (and left the appliances with the house when we sold it to our son and dil)

He knows appliances and he said LG was still the way to go, so we did. It was simply a newer model set of the ones I left behind that were 5 years by then, and still going strong at almost 15 btw-- dil loves them)

The builder fridge died next. LG again-- I LOVE THAT THING!!! Going strong. Guesstimating 8 years now. About the time Sears died in Canada because we got it just before they announced bankruptcy and worried for about 5 minutes for the extended warranty which we got from Sears and is useless. But LG JUST KEEPS WORKING.

The builder oven gave out next, so I got an LG from our former Sears "dealer" who was now working at Home Depot and who assured us we would love it. We did. I'm cooking dinner on it in a few minutes!

Then the built in microwave stove fan the builder installed died. Over to Home Depot and our "dealer" who set us up with ----shocker---- another LG. Which is WAY better, and a quieter fan that really sucks the smoke out when I'm char broiling dinner with emphasis on the char. (or doing the self clean cycle on the oven which I do when it starts to smoke-- I'm rough on my stuff)

Spring of 2020 (what a time) the dishwasher started to leak slowly and we decided to replace rather than repair, and we scored another LG from our man at Home Depot.

I just double checked all the labels. YUP all LG, all good. NOT a minutes trouble in all these years. Have NEVER needed the Extended warranty program on any of them. (my iRobot vacuums on the other hand, I'm thankful I bought extended warranty) but never the LG

Last edited: