Adopted - Relationship with God

I'm 59 years old and I was adopted as an infant. I never new my birth parents. I have wondered if this could effect the relationship I have with God ? My adopted dad left my adopted mom when I was about 4 and her eventual boyfriend then husband was the only male authority figure I kne w. He only wanted my mom and I was just I'm 59 years old and I was adopted as an infant. I never new my birth parents. I have wondered if this could effect the relationship I have with God ? My adopted dad left my adopted mom when I was about 4 and her eventual boyfriend then husband was the only male authority figure I knew. He only wanted my mom and I was just always in the way, he hated me. Needless to say I never liked him either because of that. I don't know if I'm just lazy about praying and reading the Bible or if I have some kind of rejection or authority figure problem. He was all I ever knew as a "Stepdad" until he killed himself. My mom was a champ as far as raising me (spoiled) so I always had what I needed but he really effected my life growing up. I know this is long and I'm also unsure where I should post this so mods please feel free to place wherever. Thanks in advance.

Wally

Say something Righteous and Wholesome...
Often what we see in parents flavors our view of God.
Some of us see an antithesis and perceive God is NOT in parent s failures.

While others become so critical of God they turn to the world of pragmatism - if it works it must be right,
Or blame God for allowing all the evil and in anger turn their backs on Him.

It takes the Holy Spirit moving in us to open our eyes to Him, to open our understanding of Him, to opening our heart to Him.

What we must understand is God did not want it this way, and He has made the supreme act to help us,
to redeem us from man's constant rejection of Him and reliance on self.

Growing up with a broken home is a difficulty that only adds to the world's empty gospel of live for today for tomorrow we are nothing.
I am a child of divorced parents. I saw my on version of pain from that followed by an alcoholic step father. The brokenness flowed to my sister and my daughter.
Why I dont know, but I suspect when life failed them they blamed God.

Grace reached out to me many years ago and I laid hold of it. There is still much of the "whys" I don't understand, but I have trusted God and He is working in my life in ways that only one who is faithing in Jesus could ever see.

Continue to grow in Christ. Keep trusting Him, read His Word, and pray.
Consider Paul's suffering and that even the chains he was given proved a blessing to spread the Gospel in ways that only chains and prison could provide.

In that consider the sufferings we have faced as nothing, so that we may glorify God for His deliverance and mercy and enjoy the riches of peace and new life in Jesus.

Praying for you.

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
My adopted dad left my adopted mom when I was about 4 and her eventual boyfriend then husband was the only male authority figure I knew. He only wanted my mom and I was just always in the way, he hated me. Needless to say I never liked him either because of that. I don't know if I'm just lazy about praying and reading the Bible or if I have some kind of rejection or authority figure problem.
Last Responder, it sounds like you indeed had a very rough life in your early years, and the memories from that time are still making a negative impact in your life even now. There is much wisdom in the post by @Wally Oftentimes we do tend to view God in a similar fashion as we do our male authority in childhood. But, that can definitely be overcome. Each morning I have a new email from thruthebible.org where I read a testimony from a person who lives in a different country, often even Muslim countries. They have found the Savior and have placed their faith in Jesus in spite of the harshness of their former belief system. As you likely know, they are rejected by their families if they make mention of their newfound faith in Christ, the one true Savior. They are overjoyed with their new understanding of the Bible preached in their own language. Sermons by the late J. Vernon McGee are translated into many different languages all over the world, and people are being born again by hearing the truth for the first time in their lives. I recommend this program to you. He was an elderly man who preaches through the Bible, starting over every five years. Right now, the series is on Romans. I'm enjoying it so much! It's easier for me to read the Bible with earbuds in while listening to a good teacher like Andy Woods or J. Vernon McGee. While listening to Dr. McGee, I almost feel like I'm sitting here listening to a godly grandfather's sound Bible instruction. I can't tell you how much it has helped me to focus. God bless you, Last Responder. I will pray that you'll get connected with a strong Bible teacher either in person or online, like the two I mentioned.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
As one who's also grown up in a fallen family out of a fallen world, my own capacity to see our Father in heaven independent of my earthly was skewed.

However, as I began to emerse myself in His Word, first praying that He would open my mind in understanding, I found that our Heavenly Father was infinitely different than my earthly father. Over time the Lord caused my heart to become more and more responsive to Him and I saw His kind faithfulness in my life as He's guided and answered prayer.

Don't give up, don't let feelings dictate (or even lack of feeling) but trust God's Word when He says He loves you, He's for you, He's always here to help. That He will never leave you or forsake you. We can confidently rest assured in His promises to us based on His faithfulness. :)

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
Don't give up, don't let feelings dictate (or even lack of feeling) but trust God's Word when He says He loves you, He's for you, He's always here to help. That He will never leave you or forsake you. We can confidently rest assured in His promises to us based on His faithfulness.
Love this!! So true, and it needs to be spoken more often, because I believe that a lot of people have this very same issue that hinders them spiritually. Thank you for sharing your wisdom in this.

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
I don't know if I'm just lazy about praying and reading the Bible or if I have some kind of rejection or authority figure problem.
LR, you're not the only one who has had issues in trying to understand God's love for yourself. If the father or stepfather was unloving toward someone, they think that the heavenly Father is the very same harsh, strict, demanding, looking for a reason to punish kind of Father. This is so 'not' true about God. Also, John 3:16 says, "God so loves the world. . . " If a person's relationship with their father was deficient, it's easy to feel that the 'world' that God loves is so big that it doesn't mean 'you' individually. Well, newsflash! He does love every single one of us. He's our Creator and He made us in His own image. That's not to be taken lightly. If you go through the gospel of John, perhaps with an audio Bible (YouTube) reading it to you as you follow along, you'll be surprised at how you'll begin to understand God's great Father heart of love for you as an individual. Nobody gets lost in the shuffle. That's a promise.
Something different happens to us when we're reading God's Word. We begin to understand it and soon realize He's talking to us, today, even if it was transcribed 2000 years ago. That's the ministry of the Holy Spirit teaching us as we read the Word. It's up to you. Lots of people have missed out on a loving relationship with their heavenly Father, simply because they're confused about or were rejected by their earthly one.