Ad Problem

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I use Adblock Plus with Firefox but have noticed that pop-ups have started making their way through the defense... Either Adblock is selling a free pass to web sites to allow their pop-ups through or sites are using code to avoid being blocked...

Carl

I have firefox with duckduckgo, Avira antivirus, Sygate firewall (works through XP only). Firefox is set at don't save any history. Clean my computer with SpyBot now and then. That keeps most of the trash off. Still have to do a complete virus scan now and then. Pale Moon can be set to reject cookies, but that is rejected by many sites.

Sissy

Isn't there anything that can block ads altogether? I remember a few years back someone posted a code that I followed and completely blocked all the ads. I was known on the old board as fan4sure then and if I'm not mistaken it was tall timbers that posted the site to block ads which worked very well. I can barely read for all the pop ups. I hope someone has an answer to this problem. I even get a pop up that says my computer has been locked up and I have to click on this site to free up my computer. I never click on anything. I turn off my computer and wait awhile then turn it back on. It works for the time being.

Armor of Light

Praising my Savior all the day long!
I even get a pop up that says my computer has been locked up and I have to click on this site to free up my computer. I never click on anything. I turn off my computer and wait awhile then turn it back on. It works for the time being.
I get that one too, I do the same shut it off, then reboot and then run a program that scans/cleans all my files for spyware or attacks, never have any issues. I think they just want you to call the phone number so then they can try and get $ from you, hate pop ups.

GEOINTAnalyst

Here is what I use on Firefox - uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger, Strict Popup Blocker and YesScript2 as my Script Blocker - some PopUps are actually PopUnders, the difference that PopUps are on top of the browser and PopUnders are behind the browser - Strict Popup Blocker kills them both

AdBlock+ has an automatic whitelist when installed that allows certain advertisers through the blocking mechanism. The fact that these advertisers pay for this privilege makes this particular scenario rife with conflict of interest. This is why I do not use it.

uBlock Origin has no white list pre-installed you can manually create one if you chose - Privacy Badger is focused on maintaining the privacy of the users from third parties

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Isn't there anything that can block ads altogether? I remember a few years back someone posted a code that I followed and completely blocked all the ads. I was known on the old board as fan4sure then and if I'm not mistaken it was tall timbers that posted the site to block ads which worked very well. I can barely read for all the pop ups. I hope someone has an answer to this problem. I even get a pop up that says my computer has been locked up and I have to click on this site to free up my computer. I never click on anything. I turn off my computer and wait awhile then turn it back on. It works for the time being.
I use AdBlock Plus on Firefox. Works real good for me. :)

GEOINTAnalyst

I use AdBlock Plus on Firefox. Works real good for me. :)
AdBlock Plus has an automatic whitelist when installed that allows certain advertisers through the blocking mechanism. The fact that these advertisers pay Adblock for this privilege makes this particular scenario rife with conflict of interest. This is why I do not use it.

GEOINTAnalyst

Wyden goes even further in his letter to the FTC, pointing directly to “Acceptable Ads” — a program run by Adblock Plus that has become something of an industry standard — as a major source of anti-competitive online practices. By whitelisting the ads of companies that pay them, Adblock Plus and other ad blockers which use Acceptable Ads are effectively able to lead users into falsely believing that all online ads are blocked indiscriminately.
What’s more, Eyeo — the parent company of Adblock Plus — is responsible for having submitted the data of millions of users to “tracking and targeting” by the ad companies “that paid to be included in Eyeo’s whitelist,” alleges Wyden.

https://www.cpomagazine.com/data-privacy/investigation-urged-into-anti-competitive-ad-blockers/

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
Does it stop YouTube ads? Although I hate to take income away from some of the Christian people I watch

Yeah, it stops YouTube ads. I don't really feel bad about my ad free internet experience. There are other ways to make money than ad revenue for YouTubers. Patreon, merchandise, sponsorships, etc.