Active shooter situation in Maine, 22 dead

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
Why wasn't there anyone to return fire?
Was this a gun free business?
I am not familiar with the red flag laws in Maine but I am extremely suspicious of them in general. I don't trust the government or the medical industrial complex with my GOD given right to self defense.
I see what you mean if someone had a gun it would have prevented this guy from killing as many people and injuring others as well.

lightofmylife

We were watching the news on this last night and early this morning. It came on when Sean Hannity was on here 8 P.M. Central time. I saw the father of the man who ran the bar, and his son is missing. At this point they had not identified people who are in the hospital or the ones who were killed. He has a strong feeling his son is dead.

kathymendel

Things are happening more frequently can't help feeling we're starting to go on the roller-coaster ride so to speak.

Things are happening more frequently can't help feeling we're starting to go on the roller-coaster ride so to speak..
Yes, Dego. Feels like we've been making that first big ascent, and are teetering as we make the first huge plunge down.
Then, it will be a bumpy, twisting fast ride until the end. Time to buckle up our seat belts (Jesus) for a very wild ride..........

daygo

Yes, Dego. Feels like we've been making that first big ascent, and are teetering as we make the first huge plunge down.
Then, it will be a bumpy, twisting fast ride until the end. Time to buckle up our seat belts (Jesus) for a very wild ride..........
Yep couldn't have put it better.

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...
Why wasn't there anyone to return fire?
Was this a gun free business?
I am not familiar with the red flag laws in Maine but I am extremely suspicious of them in general. I don't trust the government or the medical industrial complex with my GOD given right to self defense.
Maine does not require a permit to carry concealed.

Wally

Sadly, the typical person is in the white/yellow zone - unlikely/no imminent danger - and when someone has the advantage of surprise, its very difficult to respond.

Its possible a couple of the casualties were equipped, its just the battle was not theirs.

As someone with a permit, I can say living in the orange/red zone burns you out,
and just safe living in the present needs a lot of practice so as to be automatic and not so stress inducing.

No wonder police suffer so much from overwork.

lightofmylife

We were watching the news on this last night and early this morning. It came on when Sean Hannity was on here 8 P.M. Central time. I saw the father of the man who ran the bar, and his son is missing. At this point they had not identified people who are in the hospital or the ones who were killed. He has a strong feeling his son is dead.
I just read that the man who thought his :cry son who was missing that ran the bar is :cry dead. His name was Joey. I can't put the story up because it is a youtube.

MapleLeaf

Sadly, the typical person is in the white/yellow zone - unlikely/no imminent danger - and when someone has the advantage of surprise, its very difficult to respond.

Its possible a couple of the casualties were equipped, its just the battle was not theirs.

As someone with a permit, I can say living in the orange/red zone burns you out,
and just safe living in the present needs a lot of practice so as to be automatic and not so stress inducing.

No wonder police suffer so much from overwork.
It was sort of the same with the mass shooting in Nova Scotia a few years back. Even the gun advocates in our country said they would have likely been taken by surprise by the guy. He had stolen a RCMP car and uniform and was knocking on people's doors. With our strict laws on keeping guns in safes there would have been zero chance to go grab them once they realized the guy was a phoney and danger. Sometimes there is just nothing you can do to protect yourself from the truly determined. You can't live under that constant paranoia though. Sometimes it is just your time to go.

Also, I think it is suspicious that this mass shootings often seem to have connection to being known to authorities and it always fits the narrative to take our guns away. Being on anti-depressants was a common factor. I don't think that should be overlooked.

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
I wish the news didn't give these shooters so much air time...it could make others want to follow suit.
Nobody needs to know how his cousin's friend's ex wife's neighbor feels about it.
Let the police do their job, the local media do theirs and let the community grieve in private. Report facts.
Praying for all involved.

Wally

Sometimes it seems the discussion about firearms runs parallel with cars.

Something that has become so integral to society that its necessary, yet once abused becomes a terror to that very society.

The main difference between cars and guns, is that cars (horse an buggy) are not included in our Constitution as a means of protecting a free society.

Even the Pennsylvania constitution states firearm possession is not even a question.
It is needed if for no other reason than to protect us from our own government let alone some other invading tyrannical power.

But like anything, man will corrupt the use of needful things. Even now the regulations for truck drivers hauling fuel or other hazardous materials continue to grow as needed for the safety of the public.

I expect it will be that same premise that drives legislation for firearms.

These days its very difficult to take driving privileges away from somebody,
though I suspect we have seen numerous individuals who should be banned from US roadways.

But there is a mechanism for doctors to suspend licenses. There are crimes - DUI - that have consequences.

Its not a perfect world, but we can come up with ways to increase the protection of society,
and still maintain the checks and balances of an armed society vs a dictatorial government.

We will never eliminate this horror of abused responsibility, we cannot even stem the flow of fentanyl...
But we should be able to reduce the occurrences.

I guess it takes a resurgence of the notion of Loving your neighbor, and being your brother's keeper.

But then that is a Christian responsibility, and when such ethos is rejected by society,
well, you get what you (the majority) vote for.

Back