? about Hebrews 12

Elijah's Mantle

The church of the firstborn is what I am attempting to get a better understanding about with in chptr 12 verse 24 on ........what is being said when it speaks about and to the blood of sprinkling ? is this referring to Hebrews 9 ? with what Moses did or is it referencing Jesus and the new covenant ?

I know the shedding of blood is of extreme importance
when God stated for the remission of sin
was that for the New C ... or for both ?

Is this where the term we oft here the consummation of the ages comes from where it says ""In the end of the world "" ?

mattfivefour

Taking your questions in order, bro:

It's referring to Hebrews 9:1-10:25. The blood sacrifices of the OT were but a shadow of the true sacrifice of Jesus Christ. It is all explained in this passage. Use a good modern translation for understanding's sake.

It refers to what Jesus did and the fact that that which He did is better than what Moses did. In other words, the New Testament/Covenant is better than the Old.

It pays the debt of the Old Covenant and thus completes it, and provides the means of the New Covenant. God does not break Covenants, even if others do. He fulfilled the First and then instituted the Second (Hebrews 9:15; 10:9) And it was all through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ that involved the shedding of His blood.

Yes, the "consummation of the ages" means the completion of time ... that to which all of the ages have flowed toward. It will come at the end of the final Age, the thousand year reign of Jesus Christ. Following that, God will destroy the earth and the heavens with a fervent heat and fire (Isaiah 65:17; 1 Peter 3:10,12; Revelation 21:1) and will speak into being a New Creation in which only righteousness dwells (2 Peter 3:13; Revelation 21:7; 8:21; Isaiah 65:25). And that shall be our abode with Him forever.

Elijah's Mantle

:elmogrin :thumbup Thank you brother Matt that was what I needed to know :((

It will come at the end of the final Age, the thousand year reign of Jesus Christ. Following that, God will destroy the earth and the heavens with a fervent heat and fire (Isaiah 65:17;1 Peter 3:10,12; Revelation 21:1) and will speak into being a New Creation in which only righteousness dwells (2 Peter 3:13; Revelation 21:7; 8:21; Isaiah 65:25). And that shall be our abode with Him forever.

I love it when there is more and I knew somehow there had to be when reading through Hebrews

Its not often ask question why? did God demand the shedding of blood for the remission of sin . That one kind of inspired me as i heard it broadcast someone calling that question in Anyway I thank you thank you Brother Matt :thumbup

mattfivefour

The penalty for sin is death. Nothing that sins can exist in the presence of God because His holiness precludes sin in His Presence. Thus the soul that sins must die ((Ezekiel 18:4,20; Romans 5:21; 6:23). And phsyical death is a pciture of spiritual death. In other words as one is cut off from physical life in the world, one is cut off from spiritual life in God. Now, since in this present world the life is in the blood (Leviticus 17:11, 14;Deuteronomy 12:23), thus blood must be shed to atone for sin. Even in the Garden of Eden, when Adam and Eve sinned, god had to kill two animals to provide a covering for them. These were the first blood sacrifices and laid out the pattern for the rest of history.

But the sacrifices of the OT could only cover sin, it could not remove it. That required the perfect sacrifice, not one of bulls and goats, as it says in Hebrews, but one of the perfect Lamb. Jesus fulfilled every aspect of the Law and thus was alone qualified to pay the permanent price for sin. His blood did not cover sin, it removed it. And all who accept Him, who He is and what He did at the Cross, have His righteousness imputed to them, are forgiven by His sacrifice, and have eternal life. That is why it is so critical NOT to add anything to the Cross. Christ paid it all, did it all, and was able to say, "It is finished." His sacrifice opened the way for all who will believe to enter into God's Presence and into eternal fellowship with Him. By what He did on the Cross we not only have everything necessary for our salvation provided to us, but everything necessary for our sanctification. God gave each of us faith, and as we exercise it in His Son, the Holy Spirit will minister life unto us.

Back