A very LONG worded testimony

Discussion in 'Personal Testimonies' started by Len, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Len

Len Well-Known Member

I was asked to give my testimony at church this year and I have tried to give the glory to God but it is hard not to talk about your own life without, well talking about yourself and this is very long winded perhaps 25 minutes to read I would think ...... but the reason I have posted it is to get some feedback
    Can you follow it
    Is it over the top
    Is it bad .....
    ===========================
    Proverbs 16:6 By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the Lord men depart from evil.

Every human being has a journey as they go through life, and ALL Christians have a testimony of what God has done for them in their lives, that is a truth that springs from the gospel message of hope.

… basically I was a petty thief and a liar from the time I could do either of those things I was smoking cigarettes at 8yo, drinking alcohol by 10yo

My first drug experience was around 13 one afternoon my uncle fed me some hallucinogenic mushrooms placed within a meal unknown to me ....

I spent that whole night screaming at imaginary car sized rats eating their way through the walls into the bedroom at my grandmothers house where I was staying, she had no idea what was going on any more than I did.

The next morning I was sitting in the gutter outside trying to decide what to do as I truly thought I had gone insane! but when that same uncle dropped by and asked me how my night went, I slowly deduced that it was his doing and filled with rage I ambushed him with a long lump of timber as he came out of the old outhouse loo.

By 14yo I had been expelled from school and moved into the workforce, though I had also become proficient at breaking into peoples homes stealing whatever took my fancy… one night during a burglary I awoke a man asleep in bed and I bashed him unconscious with an iron bookend, one night some months later I was surprised by a policeman coming out after burgling a home and during the ensuring struggle I managed to get hold of a house brick and inflicted some serious injury to his head and face and though I evaded that particular officer I was apprehended, I was charged with assault and assault causing grievous bodily harm, many many burglaries by my modus-operandi, discharging a firearm, shooting in a built up area, which got me a lifetime ban from owning a firearm in that state.

So it was 2 years boys home at 16yo for me, but that same night I escaped custody by jumping though a glass window (God used this experience many years later within that very same institution, but that is another story) I was captured many weeks later by 6 car loads of heavily armed police officers and the reason for their being armed was because fingerprints told them it was me and I had stolen firearms so was considered armed and dangerous..... into a real prison now.
    and while in remand awaiting sentencing at Pentridge prison I partially witnessed (via the cell door peep hole) the last man being hanged in Victoria, God used that event many years later to both show me something as a witnessing message to me and someone else but that is another story .....

during the 2 plus years in prison, I witnessed stabbings, vicious assaults, I managed to get shot at by a wall guard and I even had a bad drug overdose making me seriously ill....

Three weeks after release I assaulted a bloke in my boarding house while the land lords screamed they were calling the police and as I had 5 years parole to do I did what any fear filled person would do ...... I fled the scene and relocated to Queensland but due to a smart mouth and the motorcycle club guys I hung around with very quickly got so well known by local law enforcement which included two nasty beatings from them, in fact I had police officers acting like doctors and making house calls to make sure that I was going to work so they knew where I was for the day .....

God also showed up during this time through a Christian girl I started dating who kept inviting me to church, but I was not interested in church or God, the girl certainly.

Instead I got a different girl pregnant, and we moved from Queensland back to Melbourne and got married eventually having 2 children…..

Like a lot of drug takers I also sold drugs, and I also began moving within higher elchion end of drug circles with people who mixed with the Italians and outlaw biker clubs and because I was trusted by them for some strange reason I often found myself holding large heavy suitcases full of cash while they were purchasing quantities of drugs I became a bit of a roustabout in a syndicate of a 3 man consortium who each supplied a different type of drug, I became a bagman, bodyguard, a chaufer, but my main job was transporting quite large quantities of marijuana between states from the grower to the syndicates safe houses usually in hired motor vehicles… for two years the wages were good but I often found myself in dangerous situations both with police and other criminals, I have had knives and shotguns pulled on me.

Obviously my life at this time was drug motivated with anything being used, from cocaine, crank, LSD, speed, grass, and the odd heroin shot, which fortunately for me never did much to me …..... strangely I found myself not having saved a cent even though thousands of dollars went through my fingers weekly!

but the drugs had a price and I found myself as a single parent with custody of two young children .....

God reached out to me one day while I was up a ladder painting a ceiling in a business premises used for money laundering, this Tasmanian guy walks up to the bottom of the ladder and tries witnessing to me, now seriously I had a bucket of paint in my hands, and he was forced to jump out of the way to avoid a nice white coating of his own this guy got the message and left me alone, the thing was this guy who tried witnessing tome was there to get drugs but that is another story ..... one night not long after this I was with a friend in the Melbourne CBD and under the “influence” when we we came across a young woman street preaching where after some verbal exchange my friend took her quite large bible from her and hit her across the face and head with it - outwardly I was laughing.

Since my current place had been raided by the Victorian major drug squad I started getting a bit paranoid with Melbourne but incredibly at the same time my parents offered me a furnished weekender cottage in a small country town in central Victoria that they offered me to live in with my two children, I guess they were not blind and were trying to get me out of the city and away from the drugs but for me this would make an ideal location as it would make pickups from SA and delivery to Melbourne easier as it was halfway between both destinations and while I was there I built up reputation along with a profitable little business of my own and I corrupted many young people….. but after a year and a fight with dad I moved back to Melbourne but kept that little town supplied with drugs ..

I had plenty of money, drugs and a few lady friends to visit, and I did every evil my heart considered and it was no surprise that I was also reading the satanic bible by Anton LaVey and it was at this point I offered my soul for a bowl of pottage and in less than 24 hours of me asking ...... satan gave me a woman after his own heart ....... many years later I was attacked by the same nasty demon that controlled that woman: but that's another story ……

This same woman was Tasmanian and on her suggestion we flew over to that state for a party one weekend and I took over a decent quantity of drugs for personal use and sell.
    We stayed for 2 weeks where I fell in love with Tassie and decided to move there straight away, though the woman wanted to keep working in Melbourne with the idea of us taking turns visiting on each alternate weekend as I was still doing jobs in Victoria plus now I was asked to check out the local dope growing industry with opportunities to purchase local crops of marijuana and organise the transportation …… things were going well, I was living what I thought was an fairly comfortable life and things were going okay.

but then God stepped in once more using an ex bikers converted hippy girlfriend, who I met at that original party and with whom now I was now sharing a house with
    so she shows up with her "hell bound to heaven converter" - so she introduced me to him and he introduces me to the “Roman road”.....

which goes like this ..........

Romans 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one…..

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.

Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man [Adam] sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned.

Romans 6:23a For the wages of sin is death;

wait a minute what was that bit about SIN wages??

I have sinned against God and I had earned wages while doing it .... and I perceived there was tax to be paid, I didn't like to pay taxes.

Romans 6:23b but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

what was that about a gift?? but here was Good News for a sinner like me

Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us

The good news here for me is that God loved me so much that He himself also offered to pay that debt I owed, to forgive me that debt.

He offered His only begotten Son Jesus to pay my debt of sin!.....

MY debt paid in full so that legally I can now walk free from God's own divine appointed courtroom

But wait there is more: the bonus gift is that it was for ALL my sin, not just past sins but present sins and future sins are included into this wonderful transaction

Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
    You too have a choice and it’s personal this gift is offered to you to either accept or reject it

fortunately for me right at that moment Hebrews 4:12 was at work.....

“For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”

when I had finished reading those verses in Romans I distinctly remember the hair on the back of my head standing on end and thinking this is true and not a fairy story … I made a commitment through prayer..... set free and life seemed different.

So the first person I phoned was the girlfriend in Melb and told her what had happened to me plus told her I did not think we should be together anymore and pretty much hung up the phone, but the girl wasn't buying it and she left Melbourne and moved straight back to Tasmania and in with me and would not leave, and I figured we were already married in the eyes of God now so sleeping together was fine but ..... not long after that my newish pastor and elders paid us a visit and tried to drag me physically out of the sinners house of fornication …… but the old Len ended up throwing them out of the house along with his new bible just missing them, so that was the end of my 2 month old conversion, or so I thought ..... God was not done yet.

… a few weeks later a local dairy farmer from just down our country lane had noticed my two kids at the school bus stop and called in to see if they would like to attend their church’s sunday school and believe me when I say that poor man copped some flack from Len who had just been “burnt” by some well meaning Christians ...... but my kids did go to that sunday school and for 6 weeks every sunday when he called into pick them up I was waiting for him with some sordid or sleazy questions and on that last sunday morning I told him I we were not married and was just enjoying the fornication (its amazing how we like to use new words we learn eh!) he answered with “that is between you and God” … and I appreciated his answer so when invited I went to their bible study and eventually married the woman I was living with because I thought that was the right thing to do but I didn't know about being unequally yoked .... that woman did make a profession and get baptised but fear came over all those present because of the screams from hell she produced coming back up out from under the water and truthfully many fell over trying to get away, but that's another story

During the next 18 months of church and bible study one of the three main syndicate guys I used to work with along with his family also moved to Tasmania to hide out from the federal police and as we were now friends I witnessed to them as best I could and eventually they were baptised … but that's another story.

Also out of the blue I received a letter by snail mail from my parents offering us that cottage back in that same Victorian country town, their motives were the grand kids being closer, but I didn't want to go back to that tiny township and had no intention of taking up the offer for a number of reasons not the least of which was that now I was a christian not a drug dealer

Here comes what I now consider "my Jonah experience" well sort of anyway

At the following Sunday evening service a verse the speaker was using seemed like God was shouting at me and He told me he wanted me to pack my bags and go back!......

Whoa, my initial response in that pew was No way Hosea! Nope! not me I am not going, but then I sort of relented and said to God that if he wanted me to go back to Victoria then “He” would have to move me because I wasn’t going to do squat about it nor did I have the money for boat fares nor anyway to transport our household stuff…. I also wasnt too familiar with Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus..... and I used that verse because I couldn't find one about how stubborn God is..... only how stiff necked I was!

That same week after my declaration of war with God, my newly converted ex drug boss and now brother in Christ who was still hiding in the Tasmanian bush from the police, paid me a visit dragging a large tandem car trailer behind him wanting to store it on the farm we rented and over coffee while he was asking me to do just that he drops a big fat wad of money on the kitchen table and said God told him to give it to me….. no questions asked, it was not a loan just give it to Len….. then casually he said if you happen to be going over to Melbourne some time can you take that trailer with you ….. that trailer just happened to be big enough for our belongings…… this was starting to sound suspiciously like God to me

That following week as I was going into the town of Devonport and as I was nearing the ferry terminal I thought I would pull in and just test the waters so to speak by seeing if I could get a trailer booking for that ship back to the mainland but I was quickly informed that that particular sized space for a tandem trailer was in high demand and would not get a booking for up to a year as they only allocated so many places per sailing, I have to say a flood of relief rolled over me at that news and the counter guy said he would take my details to put me on their waiting list just in case any spots came up .......

but the phone rings interrupting our conversation I was about to leave when he motions for me to wait and then during his phone conversation he puts his hand over the mouthpiece and says hard to believe but that was a cancellation for your trailer size so you can have it seeing as you are here now …

so just 3 weeks later I was in central Victoria once more .......

Before unpacking a single item from that trailer I walked inside that house and knelt down beside the bed and asked God that when I had finished what he brought me here to do to please, please take me back to Tasmania … there was half a dozen people in other towns I had personally corrupted and my job was to witness to them ....... and in a short space of time I had witnessed to 5 of those people, a married couple professed belief during that time but that is another story …..

but a long 15 months later and living in drought ridden and spiritually dry desolate place I was hating my life and not getting on with God that well, and my wife was drinking and still using drugs which made it harder but I happened to be in a town some 70kms away one morning, and just as I was coming out of a bakery I literally ran straight into that last person who had been eluding me and they just happened to have moved back into that particular town that very day, and we went off and had a coffee or two, I witnessed to them about Jesus and gave them some tracts and remember as I left feeling quite elated.

As I neared close to home I called into our general store for our mail .... in that bundle of mail was a letter from a friend in Tasmania offering me both a job selling motorcycles and a house to rent back in Tasmania, and that “friend” ladies and gentleman was the man at the bottom of the ladder that I tried to pour paint on ... but that’s another God story......

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

The amazing thing about our relationship with God is that it's by His grace we are saved, by His strength we walk, It's His plan we follow, even when we do not recognise that fact

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Dave, Cindy S., Sowen and 12 others like this.
  2. Rose E.

Rose E. Well-Known Member

I am very happy for you. I pray for your continued strength in the Lord.
    Give your full testimony.
    And some day you will have to write the other stories

3. Goodboy

Goodboy Well-Known Member

Since you asked for advice. I would say that while interesting, it is a bit longer than it needs to be. It read more like a short story than a testimony to me. This is just my opinion and I could be wrong, so it will be interesting as to what others might say. I will say I do appreciate the honesty though! :)

Lynn, yeshua'sbride, Rose E. and 2 others like this.
  4. Len

Len Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input that is pretty much how I thought about it after writing and reading it a few times but I just couldn't seem to do it any other way ...... and I had been given a 30 minute slot to fill .....

Lynn, Walter Kerr, chaser and 5 others like this.
  5. Everlasting Life

Everlasting Life Through Faith in Jesus

Len!!! :hug Wow, what a testimony and I'm so appreciative of you sharing....brother in Christ. I'm so glad you are part of our family of God :) I think that this is well written and actually think the length is good and here's why (sorry Goodboy, I'm not trying to be cantankerous...and sure appreciate you :) ). Praise God for His awesome work in your life!! :) Praise God for His love, out which He rescued and redeemed you!

Your testimony shows how God indeed saved you and also how God indeed has sanctified you. Your testimony shows how God will take His time to do the work necessary to grow a person in Christ after salvation, that a saved person can very much be a Christian in the rough....a diamond in the rough so to speak, for awhile before fruits begin to emerge.

Sometimes we are like little trees that have to grow for many years before fruit can grow and show. God is very patient to grow us little by little as He knows is best for us and for His purposes. This sanctifying part you've shared I think will encourage others who may doubt their own salvation because God is taking His time to grow a person in Christ.

ETA Hope I didn't come across as over the top, Len, your post made my day and was so encouraging.

Sowen, Lynn, Len and 11 others like this.
  6. Goodboy

Goodboy Well-Known Member

Well if it fits into your 30 minute window, maybe you should leave it as it is. If you need to shorten it a bit, I would leave everything regarding your experience with God, but maybe take out some of the bad things you did. I think people will get the picture if you only mention half of the bad things you did.

I am kind of jealous of how many times God worked directly in your life. LOL! :)

Lynn, Len, Walter Kerr and 5 others like this.
  7. mattfivefour

mattfivefour Administrator Staff Member

I agree.

Len, your testimony as presented above is an awesome testimony-- awesome because it testifies to an awesome God! What a path you have taken in life! But what a wonderful way in which God brought you to Himself.

What a powerful testimony! May it draw many souls to Jesus Christ!

Lynn, Len, Walter Kerr and 6 others like this.
  8. Mish

Mish Well-Known Member

I think you wrote both a powerful and a beautiful testimony that speaks to the miraculous glory of God to truly make us ‘a new creation’ in Christ❣️✝️

Just as a tip: when one is nervous about speaking (in general OR to a large group of people), they tend to speak faster than when they are at ease.

I found myself draw into your testimony and if others react in a similar fashion, I’m sure it will be a fabulous experience for ALL involved! As testimonies are so personal, they can really touch the hearts of the listeners in a special way; I hope you have a wonderful time sharing the bond you found in Christ❣️✝️

:meet :ring:scoregood :yeah

PS: would love to hear the “but that’s another story” stories as well!:peek:yay

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    Lynn, Len, Walter Kerr and 6 others like this.
  9. yeshua'sbride

yeshua'sbride ♥ Standing with Israel

Me too! Praising God for the miracle of your salvation, Len.

Lynn, Mish, Walter Kerr and 5 others like this.
  10. Everlasting Life

Everlasting Life Through Faith in Jesus

Yes, me too!

11. mattfivefour

mattfivefour Administrator Staff Member

Me, too. :nod

12. Tall Timbers

Tall Timbers Imperfect but forgiven

Len, when a person shares, their testimony, they try to include everything they think is worth sharing to whomever will receive it. You did well. It's just right. Inquiring minds would like to hear the other stories that glorify God.

Lynn, Len, mattfivefour and 6 others like this.
  13. chaser

chaser Well-Known Member

Great testimony, powerful, that gives God the glory, he has plans for you, Jer. 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Lynn, Tall Timbers, Len and 6 others like this.
  14. Anewcreationinjesus

Anewcreationinjesus Well-Known Member

Well that's what I call a testimony and a half!!! Hallelujah, God truly makes us new in him, truly your "before" and "after" is amazing, may God continue to use your testimony to be part of others coming to the knowledge of the truth - I love your description of the Roman road, faith truly comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God :)

Lynn, Tall Timbers, Len and 6 others like this.
  15. Walter Kerr

Walter Kerr Well-Known Member

Thank you Len for an honest picture of your life, "outside of Christ" and "in Christ." It was a good read and I have saved it onto my computer for a later reading. You are a sort of true and living "colourful racing identity" to use an Australian media term. I have known several such people and they were all mightily used of God. Your testimony sounds a lot like them. I would leave it as it is, but there is room there for an expanded version to fill in "well that's another story." Some of those stories seem to have potential, but that's another story.

Lynn, Tall Timbers, Len and 4 others like this.
  16. Len

Len Well-Known Member

Wow guys, thank you all "muchly" for all the encouragement I have seriously been stressing out about it's starting content but not now ..... so glad I asked ............. one more thing I am slowly starting to understand about my father in heaven and that is ........ He does ALL things well and there is no such thing as a coincidence "in" Him.

17. Sowen

Sowen Well-Known Member

Wow, praise God.

As for feedback, your testimony wasn’t over the top or bad. I could certainly see God working.

18. Cindy S.

Cindy S. Well-Known Member

I love your testimony and have to trust God is pursuing my daughter as hard as he did you. Thank you for taking time to write it. It blessed me.

Mish, yeshua'sbride, Lynn and 3 others like this.