A question ...

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
I grazed through much of Whitney Houston's funeral yesterday ... and leaving aside the eulogies of clearly the unsaved people at the event, I have a question.

What message did the world get from the event? Did they receive the message of God's awesome grace? Or did they receive the message that you can live like the devil and still go to Heaven?

In other words was there a genuine, credible witness of the gospel of Jesus Christ in the midst of it all? Did the world see Jesus? Or just another example of mourning a departed soul, no different than any like service in the world?

Kathy_57

I loved the comment (not sure by whom now) where it was said, "Sissy brought millions to church".

I missed the initial part of the service, however, did get snippits of it later on. I thought to myself, what an opportunity for the Pastor to share the Love of God and to preach a salvation message to millions of the unsaved around the world. I have to say, I was very disappointed by what I did hear. I was even more disappointed when I heard the words "prosperity" and thought what is this we are going to hear. Yes for those following Jesus, we are to seek Him in all things "Seek first the kingdom of God and His Righteousness and all these things will be added unto you". We know God wants us to prosper and most importantly to prosper in Him! What message was this for the un-believer?

I truly believe the Pastor missed the mark - From what I saw, there was not a credible witness of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Meg

I honestly think they got the message that "you can live like the devil and still go to Heaven"...

livin_in_the_Son

Well, due to my incrediable insanity, I only saw the first part with Tyler Perry....then I hosted a birthday party of 20 eight year old girls. :hehheh

But before that, with all the talk of 'homegoing', and Whitney's humility (showing her modeling portfolio on the street to her elementary school principal)...and then Tyler Perry said that 'no matter what she did, she never lost God's love"...I'm afraid that a lot of people will take that to mean just what Mattfivefour stated, that you can live like the devil and still go to heaven.

I never met Whitney Houston, and I don't know how she lived behind closed doors, so I can't say where she might be now, or what she believed, or if she was repentatant. I just think that when someone is in the public eye, and they obviously have issues that may have contributed to their early death...that the pastors at the funeral (homegoing) have an even greater responsibility to preach salvation, the gospel, and what it means to truly live like a Christian....especially when family members who might suffer from those same issues, but aren't saved, could possibly see the errors of their ways.

Ducati

"Most black preachers are not called by God but by there mama's." ~ Jessie Lee Peterson

Forgive me if it seems racist, but I'm not. I have many black friends and co-workers that agree 100%. It seems like a common thing in the black community. Here in Daytona Beach on George Ingram Blvd., which is maybe 1 mile in length, there are 14 churches, I've counted them...it is the highest drug trafficking area in all the county. It seems as if Jesus is such a common theme in the hood to rise above and help in times of trouble but never a transforming,life altering, repented 180 on the road of life...and drug use , alcohol use, and a "thug like" life style is just as much an accepted way of life as it is being the local "pastor".

Again forgive me, I'm not painting with a wide brush and this is not lumping all in the same category.

But when you look at the whole Whitney Houston service it was as if they were deifying her as some saint worthy of enshrinement. Her rise to stardom was as much a tragic one as was the life she lived... another sad story that started in the "Church" and returned home in a casket. :ohno

Any Minute

Tetelestai !!
IMO, he completely missed the mark from what I did watch. He started off well but when the preacher started going off into prosperity la la land, I switched it off. What a missed opportunity with national media coverage (which amazed me) and to not clearly present the Gospel to a lost world. Too much showboating for me but maybe it got better after I tuned out. :idunno:

micah719

an adopted son of The Most High God John 6:37-40
then I hosted a birthday party of 20 eight year old girls
Greetings, O Sister with Nerves of Steel and (hopefully) Tablecloths of Teflon, I salute your lionlike courage and abounding patience! Such a daunting assembly would have me fleeing to the hills, or at least the nearest soundproof lockable toolshed.

As for Whitney, it is sad that she was so troubled with addictions and temptations, and that such a blessing of a voice was not better used to glorify the Giver, and that she was surrounded by leeches...I don't know much about her and did not see the funeral because Micah's Place is thankfully TV-less; and at the few references to her in conversations I have both defended her against the envious detractors and deflated a few of her idolaters. There but for the Grace of God go I, and based on the demonstrated wickedness of my heart in my life, it is good I was not elevated to such heights as Whitney...you can spit on more people from a height, or drop more stones. Funerals are uncomfortable to me, so I avoid them whenever I can, especially mine...but if I have to talk at one it is better to consider the state of the living rather than veneer the dead with lies. The dead won't be affected whatever is done or said, but the living are. I doubt much of substance will come across in the schmedia's covering her story, but I'm sure some folks will nevertheless be given cause to consider life, death and blessings, and what a vapour of vanity this life is.

livin_in_the_Son

Greetings, O Sister with Nerves of Steel and (hopefully) Tablecloths of Teflon, I salute your lionlike courage and abounding patience! Such a daunting assembly would have me fleeing to the hills, or at least the nearest soundproof lockable toolshed.
Micah, I have brown carpet, nerve deafness that limits my hearing, and forced all the girls to dance to chipmunk music, and sent them all home with a big bag of candy. No doubt their parents suffered more than me. It was a blast! (I did say I was nuts too)

micah719

an adopted son of The Most High God John 6:37-40
forced all the girls to dance to chipmunk music, and sent them all home with a big bag of candy
You heinous saboteur, you. Those poor parents! At least it wasn't a party for twenty eight-year-old boys, you'd have bitterly regretted plying them with such powerful drugs as candy and chipmunk music; and there is no floor covering known to man that can withstand such an assault.

Pray tell, where was the man of the house? Wisely retreated to the fishing spot, or the hardware store?

livin_in_the_Son

You heinous saboteur, you. Those poor parents! At least it wasn't a party for twenty eight-year-old boys, you'd have bitterly regretted plying them with such powerful drugs as candy and chipmunk music; and there is no floor covering known to man that can withstand such an assault.

Pray tell, where was the man of the house? Wisely retreated to the fishing spot, or the hardware store?
He was working (even left for work early to miss last minute preparations). I'm not cruel enough to make him deal with that many screeching girls.

Sorry for the derailment Adrian....

billym

As for Whitney, it is sad that she was so troubled with addictions and temptations, and that such a blessing of a voice was not better used to glorify the Giver, and that she was surrounded by leeches...I don't know much about her and did not see the funeral because Micah's Place is thankfully TV-less; and at the few references to her in conversations I have both defended her against the envious detractors and deflated a few of her idolaters. There but for the Grace of God go I, and based on the demonstrated wickedness of my heart in my life, it is good I was not elevated to such heights as Whitney...you can spit on more people from a height, or drop more stones. Funerals are uncomfortable to me, so I avoid them whenever I can, especially mine...but if I have to talk at one it is better to consider the state of the living rather than veneer the dead with lies. The dead won't be affected whatever is done or said, but the living are. I doubt much of substance will come across in the schmedia's covering her story, but I'm sure some folks will nevertheless be given cause to consider life, death and blessings, and what a vapour of vanity this life is.
Funerals are uncomfortable to me, so I avoid them whenever I can, especially mine:hehheh

Such eloquence of speech has me almost completely speechless, have you ever thought about writing a book? :lol: You have a way with words:thumbup