A question about Purpose Driven Church topics (and which ones they avoid)

athenasius

I think they tend to be mostly amillenial.
All the ones I have bumped into like to push the idea of the Lord's Return waaaay into the misty future. Some think like the Kingdom Now and Dominionist preachers that basically teach that we are in the Kingdom now, and it's up to the church to dominate the world and bring it by force under their rule, and then Jesus will return, they will give Him the world that they've brought under their/His dominion. Others believe that the church has "replaced" Israel (contradicting the Bible in so many many ways). They all seem to focus on works, either surviving the Tribulation or part of it, with only the best of the best getting raptured on the basis of works or doing something so that Jesus can come back.

Notice the emphasis on their works there, not on God's provision or might.

Most of them prefer to allegorize any scriptures that contradict these aberrant views.

Jesus actually come back, gathering His own before the Tribulation gets in the way of their fantasy future.

Psalm37v4

Can't say I'm surprised. It really saddens me that nearly all of the churches in my area have fallen for this "purpose driven" bull.
The ones that don't either serve "another Jesus" or teach the WOF crap. People have told me in the past to keep looking, but TBH I'm done.
I think I have checked out just about every church around here that has what I thought might be a smidgen of the real gospel but nope.
Then others say I'm expecting too much. The handful of churches that didn't fall for the purpose driven stuff and aren't of "another Jesus/another gospel"
are so traditional and spiritually manipulative I didn't feel comfortable.

Does anyone know what percentage of churches in the US follow the purpose driven formula?

athenasius

Does anyone know what percentage of churches in the US follow the purpose driven formula?
I don't know but hoping someone can say. From experience churches that didn't fall for the prosperity gospel or the bethel stuff swallowed the purpose driven. Or the new restless and reformed Calvinist model. The ones that haven't fallen for these are few and far between. I'm enjoying being in a small congregation via Zoom church of a little Baptist church several hours north of here. When Zoom church goes, we won't be able to attend but am thankful for that opportunity to enjoy fellowship, communion and so forth.

JSTyler

It IS urgent. Do these PD teachers realize how close we are to the Rapture? I'd bet they don't talk about that either, since it seems like most believers don't think it will happen.
Wolves only care about sheep as a food source. The ideas of sound doctrine and truth are just distractions.

JSTyler

Do you believe that you must turn from sin to be saved? The Bible never once tells us to turn from our sins.

Yes! Sin, not specific sins.

- We have to define sin - Anything that falls short of the glory of God.
- We have to understand who we are - sinners in a hopeless, fallen, sinful state.
- Repent is the very first word of the Gospel, everything else follows.
- To repent is to change direction 180 percent, no exceptions.
- So, placing our faith/trust/hope/belief/reliance entirely upon Jesus Christ and the work He accomplished is repentance, it is turning away from the sin cursed impossibility of saving ourselves in any way, it is acknowledging that there is no other way, it is an understanding that we can only accept the gift by rejecting our hopelessly sinful selves.

In my life the confusion was always, "You have to stop ______________ before you can come to Jesus and be saved." That's not the Gospel, that's assured damnation. I believe it should be stated something like, "You have to understand who you are, in light of who Jesus is, repent from self and rely on Him alone."

And folks, please correct my misunderstanding if there is any of that here. I'll love you more for it.

soundingthealarm

Fleethewrath2come
Repentance is a change of mind from unbelief to belief, it is NOT something you do...IE "change direction" I could say "I changed direction"

Repentance has been preached in such a way as to mean SELF must do something, NO, self must believe something.

Who do you say that I AM? - Jesus

You are the Christ, the son of the living God - believers

"Flesh and Blood did not reveal that to you but my Father in Heaven." - Free Gift.

Turning from sin/sins is a great discipline in the life of the believer BUT it does nothing to merit what ONLY The Cross could.

soundingthealarm

Fleethewrath2come
Its amazing to me the TELL of some of these Seeker Friendly leaders.

Number #1 to have the audacity to call yourself a seeker-friendly motivated church.

Romans 3:11 There is none who understands;
There is none who seeks after God.

"you need to be purpose-driven?" Romans 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Elevation Church? Isaiah 14:14 "I will ascend above the heights of the clouds, I will be like the Most High.’" - Satan

Rick Warren touts his P.E.A.C.E plan forgetting that Jesus said:

“Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword." Matthew 10:34

I think Jesus would say that is exactly what He warned about when He said "many will come in my name to deceive."

annieforjesus

I think you all have the correct conclusion of how misleading the PD church is..I say that church is very
deceitful in how they control their members too..many of those churches require people to sign a type of loyalty
covenant agreeing to "protect" the unity of the church from troublemakers.(like me, because I ask questions"

Psalm37v4

I think you all have the correct conclusion of how misleading the PD church is..I say that church is very
deceitful in how they control their members too..many of those churches require people to sign a type of loyalty
covenant agreeing to "protect" the unity of the church from troublemakers.(like me, because I ask questions"
I hate those covenant agreements, along with the membership classes, membership agreements, rules, etc. I have been into so many churches that have them. I don't think I have been in one that doesn't. Even the non-PD churches have them. It annoys me bc there are ppl like myself with God-given talents to use for ministry and are unable to, bc if you don't submit to all these agreements and rules, you are perceived as a rebel, a troublemaker, demon possessed, etc.

annieforjesus

I really didn't know that many churches had those kind of agreements, so I've learned something again..my first thought when I found out PD churches had them was..oh, it kinda sounds like their insurance policy to keep members in line...tells them to keep trouble makers out and if you study prophecy, you're not fit for the Kingdom of God....that statement is a lie, imo..when I read the first few verses in Rev. 1, it is a blessing to read the prophecy there.. at the end of the book it warns that if anyone takes away from the prophecy of the book, they will suffer some major judgement..so, how can professing Christians fall for that lie?

Psalm37v4

I really didn't know that many churches had those kind of agreements, so I've learned something again..my first thought when I found out PD churches had them was..oh, it kinda sounds like their insurance policy to keep members in line...tells them to keep trouble makers out and if you study prophecy, you're not fit for the Kingdom of God....that statement is a lie, imo..when I read the first few verses in Rev. 1, it is a blessing to read the prophecy there.. at the end of the book it warns that if anyone takes away from the prophecy of the book, they will suffer some major judgement..so, how can professing Christians fall for that lie?
It's easy for them to do so. Don't read your bible, and let someone else (especially someone who puts their own spin on it) interpret it for you.
It's also easy for many to see these membership agreements as a way to keep people in line. But I believe (and this is JMO) it keeps out those who have a heart for God but don't want to serve in a church where questioning the Pastor is seen as questioning God, and where every rule must be obeyed, OR better yet...favoritism occurs. I served in a church for worship ministry where ppl were told they must practice regularly at home. However, a woman served on it as a singer who was the Pastor's assistant. She couldn't sing very well - in fact she sang off key several times. She didn't practice and it was evident. Yet, she was never reprimanded and was allowed to serve bc she was the Pastor's assistant. (It might also have been because she's African-American, and they wanted to do their part to honor Equal Opportunity rules. I truly hope that doesn't sound racist....I don't care about the color of anyone's skin, nor their ethnicity or religion. It's the heart that matters.) Meanwhile, bc I didn't obey all the rules to the letter, I was singled out and treated as if I was demon possessed.