A question about "dropping things..."

bigmoose

Folks believe it or not, I have a serious question. Now for background I am about a year shy of 70 and have done fine work all my life. Like working on cars, wood and metal working and printed circuit board repair and hand assembly of prototype boards including very small surface mount parts. I have had very good fine muscle control.

For like the last 2 or 3 or 4 years it seems like I am dropping everything. I have even said to my wife, "I might as well dump everything on the floor first, cause that is where it will end up before I am done assembling this part." I have gone to throw a wadded up paper towel in the trash can and had it miss and float to the floor. I've gotten closer, and it misses... it took 4 tries to get it in last night and it ended up with my hand less than 10 inches from the 12 inch diameter can. I go to put a socket back in the holder strip, and the holder slips out of my left hand, hits the floor and 12 sockets scurry across the floor and under the car. I could go on and on, but I think you get the pattern.

My question for you that are older than me, is this old age catching up with me? Or have you experienced events in the last 4 or so years that seems things are slipping out of your hands more than has been your norm and you are younger than me?

Thanks for your replies!

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I drop things and the cause is nerve issues. I have to be really careful when holding pots or trays of hot food on account of I never know when my nerves will go haywire. I have carpal tunnel in both hands and thoracic outlet syndrome. Nerves is probably the reason for your dropping things... your nerves are just wearing out. Unfortunately, the warranty on your nerves has probably already expired...

Jan51

I tried to edit my above post but between the 10-minute edit limit and the fact that I was also baking rolls, I ran out of time. So trying again:

I am 70 and have noticed a handful (pun intended!) of similar instances, of being more fumbly, dropping, knocking things over, not noticing when a piece of food fell. Could be due to changes in feel, in vision, or in the brain processing things?

Edit to add:
Hmmm, writing that may have just answered a question that has been bothering me. I have a horse (who is also getting older), and I am a good rider and horseman, but due to various life factors--working more so less time, then husband developing dementia and becoming his full-time caregiver until he passed away almost two years ago. Now that I have time, God still doesn't open the door for me to ride, to where I have finally pretty much ceased to struggle with the desire to ride, and now struggling with guilt about that, thinking I am making excuses. The past week I have been wondering if that is what He actually wants from me--not to keep wanting to, but to cease wanting to. So. The above realities do not make for safe riding. I have wondered if God is actually protecting me, and several others have suggested the same. I think I will stop feeling guilty and accept the closed doors. I do still enjoy my horse, taking care of him and working with him on the ground, exercising him.

bigmoose

Thanks folks for your insight and analysis. It has helped! Its interesting how my wife and some of you said it has been a normal occurrence for a long time, whereas for me, it is something new. I will add it to my list of "wearing out observations." haha ;)

mattfivefour

I have wondered if God is actually protecting me
That is my own conclusion in my own life.
The past week I have been wondering if that is what He actually wants from me--not to keep wanting to, but to cease wanting to.
Also one of my own conclusions. So I have ceased fighting age (which itself is a fight!) and am just doing my best to accept that I am never again --in this earthly life-- going to be able to do what I once did without even thinking. Growing old has MANY challenges for most of us, and that last sentence contains one of my greatest.

@bigmoose: I'm 77 and my "dropsies" began only in the past 3 or 4 years, along with the crippling up of my back. With others I know, the diminishing out fine muscle control began sooner than that. So, brother, you have simply confirmed you are part of the human race. On the brighter side, you have lived long enough to accumulate some wisdom. :) I have learned that the gift of wisdom for the aged in Christ surpasses the losses of the gifts we enjoyed so much when we were young.

Lynn

Longing for Home
On the brighter side, you have lived long enough to accumulate some wisdom. :) I have learned that the gift of wisdom for the aged in Christ surpasses the losses of the gifts we enjoyed so much when we were young.
Yes, indeed!! It's so worth it to be able to see things more clearly from God's perspective. I would not trade it for the chance to be young again. Knowing Him is a treasure not to be traded.

Jan51

I guess I'd better be diligent about continuing my almost-daily serious piano practice (classical, hymns, hymn arrangements). That's got to be good for keep my mind and hand-eye coordination as sharp as possible. Also to be more diligent in doing my exercise routine on days I don't walk or do strenuous work outside.

Glorydaz

I drop things and the cause is nerve issues. I have to be really careful when holding pots or trays of hot food on account of I never know when my nerves will go haywire. I have carpal tunnel in both hands and thoracic outlet syndrome. Nerves is probably the reason for your dropping things... your nerves are just wearing out. Unfortunately, the warranty on your nerves has probably already expired...
I agree, but nerves can be stimulated with a hand held massage device. That seems to be helping a guy I know.

Jan51

Jan, have you played the piano for a long while? Can you recommend a good Tube site where I can view (or listen to) the beautiful classic hymns?
Yes, I have played since I was 9, took lessons through college, most of my life I have given lessons and played for church, still do, so regular practice is a way of life for me. In fact, I have been hitting it harder since my husband passed. No, I don't know of a site to recommend, sorry!

athenasius

Jan, have you played the piano for a long while? Can you recommend a good Tube site where I can view (or listen to) the beautiful classic hymns?
Lynn look up Kaleb Brasee on YT. He has all the lovely old hymns, which he plays on his piano without any "improvements" to ruin the melody. He posts the lyrics which scroll as he plays. I love that channel. He has a new one every Sunday but he has been posting so many, there are a HUGE volume to listen to. I like to hit the "play all" button when you go to the channel home page and it just plays on and on.

athenasius

Folks believe it or not, I have a serious question. Now for background I am about a year shy of 70 and have done fine work all my life. Like working on cars, wood and metal working and printed circuit board repair and hand assembly of prototype boards including very small surface mount parts. I have had very good fine muscle control.

For like the last 2 or 3 or 4 years it seems like I am dropping everything. I have even said to my wife, "I might as well dump everything on the floor first, cause that is where it will end up before I am done assembling this part." I have gone to throw a wadded up paper towel in the trash can and had it miss and float to the floor. I've gotten closer, and it misses... it took 4 tries to get it in last night and it ended up with my hand less than 10 inches from the 12 inch diameter can. I go to put a socket back in the holder strip, and the holder slips out of my left hand, hits the floor and 12 sockets scurry across the floor and under the car. I could go on and on, but I think you get the pattern.

My question for you that are older than me, is this old age catching up with me? Or have you experienced events in the last 4 or so years that seems things are slipping out of your hands more than has been your norm and you are younger than me?

Thanks for your replies!
It's ok to get it checked out with your dr. In fact it's a good idea.

An old joke, but very true goes like this. Old guy at his dr, "doc my left knee hurts real bad, can you do something?" Busy doc replies "at your age, it's to be expected, just have to put up with it." Old guy brilliant comeback proving he is sharper than his dr says "but my RIGHT knee is the SAME AGE and it DOESN'T HURT!"

Thing is just because some things tend to go wrong as we age, doesn't mean that we can't do something to improve the situation or stop something bad that is trying to take hold.

There are a few neurological things that are more common as we age but have simple ish treatments. And there are some eyesight things that are fixable (depth perception can be off a bit) plus a few other odds and ends.

If a good neurological workup PLUS a good fresh eye dr check doesn't show anything going sideways, then it's ok to chalk it up to age.

If it ends up being as simple as a fresh glasses Rx or treatment for early Parkinsons, you will be glad you looked into it. If it ends up being nothing at all, then at least you have a good fresh medical which makes for a good current "baseline" to refer to if something else happens in the next few years.

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
Unfortunately, the warranty on your nerves has probably already expired...

Word on the street is that whether your warranty has expired or not, we all get to trade our bodies in for new models sometime soon. Just waiting on a release date. Zero percent interest and no payments. I actually heard someone else paid for it already. Isn't that generous? Mine was manufactured more recently so I haven't run into as many issues, but even I'm excited about getting a whole new model