A pair of 3D-printed homes built in 24 hours are kicking off the 'world's first 3D-printed community.' They cost residents just $20 per month.

antitox

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pair-3d-printed-homes-built-165300144.html

Joshua Perez/New Story
  • A team of designers and philanthropists constructed two 3D-printed homes in 24 hours.
  • The homes are part of a planned community for low-income residents in Tabasco, Mexico.
  • Residents of the 3D-printed homes will be required to pay a mortgage of 400 pesos (about $20) per month for seven years.
  • Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
In a rainy, rural site in the Mexican state of Tabasco, a pair of 3D-printed homes represent a milestone: They're the initial two structures in a community that aims to be the world's first 3D-printed housing development.
This month, a team of designers and philanthropists unveiled the houses, which are part of a planned 50-home neighborhood for low-income families.
It's the result of a collaboration between New Story, a San Francisco-based housing nonprofit, and Icon, a construction-technology company that designs 3D printers.
Take a look inside the brand-new structures.
At 500 square feet each, the homes take just 24 hours to print.

Joshua Perez/New Story
Icon's printer, known as Vulcan II (shown above), weighs about 3,800 pounds. It can operate during a power shortage and comes with LED lighting for printing at night.
The Vulcan II is operated via controls through a tablet, so only a few workers are requiredto print a home.
The printing process is relatively simple: The printer churns out layers of cement, which amass to form the walls of the home.

The company's cement mixture is stronger than traditional building materials, so it can withstand extreme weather conditions.
Non-printed fixtures like doors and windows are installed at the end of the process.

To select who will get to live in the community, New Story surveyed more than 500 local families. The group promised the homes to 50 families with the greatest financial and physical needs.

moosejive

Technology being used the way it should be used! Providing a hand up, instead of handouts. I think many people would prefer that ,instead being made to feel less than because they need some help.
There is a movement for tiny homes, where people are cutting way back on “stuff”. Choosing to live in a home from 300-600 sq. ft in size. Some homes are really quite nice, but I think my books would filling the whole interior....:book;) Maybe I could start the library for a tiny home town!:nod:thumbup

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I got a tour of some micro-homes in Oregon when I was there recently. The owner of the bunch of them will rent them out (they're still getting built) at low cost to people who are wanting to save for a more traditional home. The idea is to give them an inexpensive place so they can more easily save for that later purchase. I think one of the requirements to live there is showing that you're saving up to purchase a home.