A nation of heretics

Anewcreationinjesus

Yet another sign we must be very close to the end of the church age, with feel good fluffy experientialism preached, people not encouraged to study the word for themselves, and not many Titus 1:9 pastors around. Am from the UK and I genuinely do not know where there are Titus 1:9 pastors that haven't embraced NAR, ecumenicalism, experientialism, spiritual formation, dominionism, and purpose driven winds of doctrine .... :(

Salluz

Not really shocking considering we know most who are Christians, seldom read their bible.

This seems like another sign of the end times.
I really hope that because of this we may be really pleasantly surprised when we get to heaven to see who is "saved as though through fire" people without any heavenly rewards but saved nonetheless. I'm sure many of the people who don't walk like believers still are (even though many are believers in name only)

ItsNotAboutTheDonkey

In many of our churches (including mine at times) we have a hard time confronting heretics - we don't even want to use that word. We have bought into tolerance and diversity to such a degree that core principles become blurry.

We especially don't want to deal with this if the person is older and a long-time member. Five years ago our pastor dealt with one person (a member of our church for over 50 years) who would come to our Sabbath morning classes and maintain that Jesus is a created being; sinless, but not God. Many were sitting there silently appalled, but showing respect as he was a senior member. Some of us met with him privately one-on-one to show from scripture that he was wrong. But nothing changed.

Being a bit of a rabble rouser, I took it to the pastors and said that his comments were unsettling other believers. As a result, our pastors took him aside and made it clear that while he was welcome to come to class, it was only on the condition that he never again speak his views on Jesus. He still comes to church. And we pray often for his salvation.

We have another long-time church member, hard worker, loyal, related to many other members, who is a strong advocate for gay marriage (he has a gay son and he so desperately wants to believe his son is not living in active sin). "Everyone" knows about his heretical beliefs that are against our statement of belief and against what is taught in class and from the pulpit, but no one wants to deal with the issue. He's another one I pray for continually.

Praise God most of our fellowship is rock solid on theology and the gospel is preached from scripture every week. It is just so difficult to deal with individuals who need correction in belief. We do better with confronting behavior problems (living together, gossip) - just not with heretical theology.

Sowen

We especially don't want to deal with this if the person is older and a long-time member. Five years ago our pastor dealt with one person (a member of our church for over 50 years) who would come to our Sabbath morning classes and maintain that Jesus is a created being; sinless, but not God. Many were sitting there silently appalled, but showing respect as he was a senior member. Some of us met with him privately one-on-one to show from scripture that he was wrong. But nothing changed.
I won’t say anything if the issue isn’t essential (for example, grape juice vs wine) but when someone says something about the foundation of our beliefs, especially about who our Lord is, I will always speak up, and I think every believer should as well because the truth needs to be defended or it gets lost or compromised.