A little prayer for salvation (Romans 9:10)

Goodboy

Won't Be Long Now!
Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Romans 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

I think Romans 10:9 is the basis for alter calls and/or leading people in a prayer of salvation. I was taught that saying the prayer of salvation is what saves you. However, I was never actually taught the believe in your heart part. Have I confessed with my mouth? Yes. Do I believe in my heart? Yes. Did this happen to me at the same time? No. It was about a month after I prayed the prayer of salvation when I got to the point where I actually believed in my heart. So the question comes up as to when I was saved, when I prayed or when I later believed in my heart?

When Paul states that you confess with your mouth and believe in your heart, it would seem to me that both should happen at the same time. However it is interesting that Paul starts the verse with confess with your mouth and then believe in your heart. Then again, he states in Romans 10:10 that confession is made to salvation. So I guess I am wondering if I was saved at confession or saved one month later at belief in my heart? Did I have any belief when I prayed the prayer? Yes, but only just enough to pray and actually a lot of doubt. So in any case while I am absolutely sure I am saved, I am not sure if it was when I prayed or when I fully believed in my heart. :idunno

Just to make sure I am giving the correct message, I will first ask someone if they believe and then ask them to pray the prayer of salvation.

I would be interested in any and all comments as to what others think. :)

Lookingup83

My experience with salvation happened in the same way. I said the words, then later believed wholeheartedly. I'm not exactly sure how much time there was between the two.

Andy C

You are causing my brain to overload this morning. From brother Jack, 2 helpful questions and answers.

Question: My question concerns the word “heart” that is used several times in the New Testament. We can take Romans 10: 9 where the Bible says “…and believe in your heart..”. I’m always tempted to think that the Bible doesn’t refer to the heart that pumps blood in our body but our spiritual heart. Can you please explain further what the Bible is referring to? Your opinion will help me make sense when I’m responding to questions my Sunday school kids ask.

Answer: The phrase “believe in your heart” is a way of explaining the difference between just knowing and truly believing.
For example, a person can know that Jesus died and is no longer in His grave. This is something that can be demonstrated logically since there are eyewitnesses accounts of both His death and His resurrection.

But that doesn’t necessarily mean he also believes the reason Jesus died was to pay for his sins. That goes beyond logic and involves emotion.
When logic asks, “Why would Jesus do something like that for me?” Emotion answers, “Because He loves me.”
Throughout history, knowing has always been associated with our brain. It’s the repository of our knowledge, where we come to logical conclusions.

But believing has been associated with our heart because traditionally the heart has been thought of as the seat of our emotion. Today we know this is not scientifically correct, but emotional issues are still thought of as matters of the heart.
This is why salvation involves believing in our heart (Romans 10:9). It’s an emotional issue that transcends logic.
Paul said:
Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us” (Romans 5:7-8).
https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/knowing-and-believing/

Question:I heard a lesson recently from a Bible teacher whose topic was “Are you saved?” He said belief doesn’t equal automatic salvation. It’s the quality of the belief that determines salvation. He said not everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved, but only those who “do the will of my father.” He said whoever just talks the talk but doesn’t walk the walk is not saved no matter how many sinner’s prayers they pray. It’s the doing that’s the proving. He said even demons believe in Jesus and tremble. This has created quite a conflict for me. Can you help?

Answer: Here’s a perfect example of why we need to search the Scriptures daily to prove that what we’re being taught is true (Acts 17:11). In this case it shows that this pastor misquoted the Bible repeatedly, and contradicted clear statements by Jesus and Paul as well.
For example, Matthew 7:21 actually says:

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.”
In Matthew 7:15-23 Jesus was talking specifically about false prophets, saying even though they called Him Lord, He will deny ever knowing them.
In John 6:40 He explained what His Father’s will is concerning our salvation:
“For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.”
Jesus also identified belief as the single condition for our salvation in John 3:16, John 5:24, and John 6:28-29. He will deny knowing the false prophets because of their unbelief.

Jesus also said everyone who asks for salvation will receive it (Matthew 7:7-8).
And in Romans 10:13 Paul said “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
The pastor also misquoted James 2:19 which really says:
“You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that–and shudder.”
Demons believe there is one God because they’ve seen Him, but that doesn’t prove anything. It’s believing that Jesus died for our sins and rose again that saves us.
James was right in saying true belief will cause behavioral changes. But how and when they occur is between the believer and the Holy Spirit. They are not a requirement for salvation.

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/knowing-what-we-believe-and-why/

antitox

See if I'm getting your picture. Sounds like you're saying that a person may believe that Jesus existed and gave his life, yet that person has not truly accepted Him into his heart? Kinda more like a mental assent rather than personal belief?

Goodboy

Won't Be Long Now!
See if I'm getting your picture. Sounds like you're saying that a person may believe that Jesus existed and gave his life, yet that person has not truly accepted Him into his heart? Kinda more like a mental assent rather than personal belief?
No that's not it. For me, I did not believe the bible or about Jesus dying for my sins. When a coworker shared with me and told me salvation was a free gift, I was like OK I want that free gift if it is true. Over about a month a number of things happened where I finally actually believed it. So it's not a heart verses mind thing, it was a tiny belief (enough to say the prayer) to a fully believing thing.

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
Is the sinner's prayer even necessary? Or just belief? The thief on the cross only said "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom" nothing about "I know I'm a sinner in need of a savior etc etc etc"

Goodboy

Won't Be Long Now!
Is the sinner's prayer even necessary? Or just belief? The thief on the cross only said "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom" nothing about "I know I'm a sinner in need of a savior etc etc etc"
I think it is just belief that saves you, but it needs to be clear what it is you are believing. It also needs to be a decision you have made not just a passing thought in your head. I think that is why Romans says to confess with your mouth, to make sure it is an actual decision you have made.

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God

antitox

I think it is just belief that saves you, but it needs to be clear what it is you are believing. It also needs to be a decision you have made not just a passing thought in your head. I think that is why Romans says to confess with your mouth, to make sure it is an actual decision you have made.
Exactly. :thumbup