A Glorious Yet Overlooked Verse

UmbrellaGirl

Now we see but a dim reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known..
(1 Corinthians 13:12)

This is my absolute favorite verse in all of the Word of God, as the promise contained within it is absolutely mind-blowing! To finally FULLY KNOW...

We will fully know...and all of the puzzling circumstances of our personal lives and of the entire world will finally make perfect sense to us. Oh, how I YEARN for that crystal-clear comprehension...

Yet I think this verse is often over-shadowed by the well known remainder of chapter 13 regarding love. I have never seen this particular verse as a focal point of attention, which I think is a shame, as it is such an incredible declaration of our glorious and soon reality. I cling to it every day, especially on the hardest of days. It greatly comforts and encourages me to press on and continue to fight the good fight for yet another day, even when difficult, painful situations make no sense to my finite mind...:inlove

Sojourner414

I've mainly seen that verse blasphemed when folks get rapture dates and predictions wrong. They think it's fine to just default to that. It gets my goat to be honest.
It angers me as well, Eric; the thing is though that those who are making those kinds of "predictions" are doing so in their own strength. As a result, they allow pride to consume them, and then instead of admitting their error, they resort to cheap, underhanded tactics like that (Harold Camping, anyone?). The end result is they end up bringing shame and disgrace to the cause of the gospel, and heaven only knows how many souls get turned off to the Word because of that hubris.

That is why I firmly believe the Lord is not happy when His precious words are maligned like that. He didn't give them to us to play fast and loose with, but as spiritual food to nourish the New Man, implanted into our souls for our salvation and to furnish and equip us for every good work. But in these last hours, way too many are not taking Him seriously.

Nemophilist

Now we see but a dim reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known..
(1 Corinthians 13:12)

This is my absolute favorite verse in all of the Word of God, as the promise contained within it is absolutely mind-blowing! To finally FULLY KNOW...

We will fully know...and all of the puzzling circumstances of our personal lives and of the entire world will finally make perfect sense to us. Oh, how I YEARN for that crystal-clear comprehension...

Yet I think this verse is often over-shadowed by the well known remainder of chapter 13 regarding love. I have never seen this particular verse as a focal point of attention, which I think is a shame, as it is such an incredible declaration of our glorious and soon reality. I cling to it every day, especially on the hardest of days. It greatly comforts and encourages me to press on and continue to fight the good fight for yet another day, even when difficult, painful situations make no sense to my finite mind...:inlove
Thanks for the reminder about that great verse. I believe I've only ever heard it spoken about as an answer to people's questions about whether or not we will recognize our loved ones in heaven. Your post is great food for thought. :thumbup

Jette_516

This is one of my favorite verses to use when asked why bad things happen to good people. That along with Romans 8:28, especially when the ‘good person’ is a Christian. Romans 8:28 was the life verse of the pastor I mention in the testimony I included in my introduction in the new members forum. 1 Corinthians 13:12 was the verse that helped me accept and eventually move past that. I’ve used it to explain many things to my children that don’t seem fair according to the world’s standards. What peace we can find in God’s word when we accept it with childlike faith!