A Geopolitical and Economic Crisis is on the Horizon

Footsteps

Thanks for the graceful correction. I had that mixed up with slaves being freed every 7 years
You weren't mixed up at all - the freeing of the slaves in their seventh year included the release of certain debts - some call it the "Little Jubilee".
I went for a loan Friday and noticed a ball and chain in the corner. I asked how long I had to wear it. The loan officer said "Twenty years, and you have to pay separate fees for the ball and the chain, in advance." Kidding.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Adjustable Rate Mortgages - another disaster. The homeowners were betting interest rates stayed low. But if they went up (they did), their payments rose accordingly. I'm anti-gambling. People bet their homes and lost. A tragic poker game from a shallow movie.

Some places, adjustable rate mortgages with the horrific PMI, were the only thing people could get :mad
Of course the lender would *strongly recommend* the place to get the PMI from :mad
Ditto for the homeowner's insurance, appraiser, survey, etc. :mad
Closing costs were always sky-high :mad
. . . and closing *always* occurred so as to have the least amount of time possible between closing and first payment :mad

I really, really wish adjustable rate mortgages were outlawed :tappingfoot

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
You weren't mixed up at all - the freeing of the slaves in their seventh year included the release of certain debts - some call it the "Little Jubilee".
I went for a loan Friday and noticed a ball and chain in the corner. I asked how long I had to wear it. The loan officer said "Twenty years, and you have to pay separate fees for the ball and the chain, in advance." Kidding.

Reminds me of the pawnshop sign with the three balls - 2 to 1 you didn't get whatever you pawned (took the loan out against) back.

Baby Yoda

Depending on which brand and type, some TP has tripled in price in the past few months :mad

Some of that is due to changes in packaging size, which is driven by availability of packaging materials and production line set-ups. Even so, absolutely ridiculous!!! :furious

It's all so absurd! Worker shortages, new emissions regs that are like taxes on truckers,... all so easily avoidable and it just doesn't make sense in the world we *used* to live in. Unfortunately it makes sense in these end times.