A Christian Living in Sin

Goodboy

On my way up!
A Christian Living in Sin

Those of you who have read my threads and posts know that I totally believe that salvation is a free gift (see Romans below) and no works are required to get to Heaven, nor will sin exclude anyone from Heaven.

Romans 5:15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.
Romans 5:16 And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.
Romans 5:18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

For anyone that thinks that a Christian living in sin is not saved, I have a simple question for you that I have not received an answer to yet.
What will you tell this so called unsaved Christian living in sin that they need to do in order to get saved?

A simple question and I would love a simple answer.

yrrek

I think I would just sit down and give them the gospel and tell them that I would be there to answer any questions they might have. If you’re not sure if someone is a Christian because of their lifestyle the best thing I think is giving them the message and letting the Holy Spirit intervene.

Goodboy

On my way up!
I think I would just sit down and give them the gospel and tell them that I would be there to answer any questions they might have. If you’re not sure if someone is a Christian because of their lifestyle the best thing I think is giving them the message and letting the Holy Spirit intervene.
Good response, but my question was with the assumption that they already accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior.

So just to be clear, what would you tell someone who claimed to have sincerely accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior but is currently living in sin, that they need to do to be saved?

antitox

Scripture clearly states that if a person practices sin that they will not inherit the kingdom of God. It's very clear:

(ESV) 1 Cor 6:9 "Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality,"

Now we're not referring to believers who sin at times in the process of learning to walk with God. We are talking about people who live contrary to God in their way of life. If one is truly saved he won't seek to do evil. Also not saying that people have recurring problems they are dealing with are living that way, but anyone whose life has been regenerated will seek the Lord in his daily life and want to change. So I would be honest with that person and say that if he desires God he will desire to change and do so. We can't do it for them,...... they must want to.

Steve53

So just to be clear, what would you tell someone who claimed to have sincerely accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior but is currently living in sin, that they need to do to be saved?
I agree with Salluz. There's no need to tell them anything about being saved if they already are saved.

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/staying-in-fellowship/

Q
I know I must sin a thousand times a day. Even the best I do is like filthy rags, so it seems that my very being, the fact that I live and breathe on this earth, is an offense to God. Even the best I do is a sin. When I confess, what happens if I forget the sins I do all day long? I’m sure I have a closet full of sins I’ve never confessed because there are so many I can’t even remember them. So, with so many unconfessed sins, how can I get and maintain fellowship with God?
A
Fellowship is the second level of our relationship with God, beyond salvation. It’s where we begin enjoying the blessings and protections in the here and now while we’re waiting to be taken to Him. Staying in Fellowship requires that we confess when we sin as directed in 1 John 1:9.
The Lord judges us on the motives of our hearts when confessing, not our ability to remember every little detail of our lives. As long as we’re sincere we’re forgiven for all of our sins, whether we specifically refer to them or not.
King David developed a great prayer of forgiveness to help him cover himself completely. He wrote it as part of Psalm 19.
Who can discern his errors? Forgive my hidden faults. Keep your servant also from willful sins; may they not rule over me. Then will I be blameless, innocent of great transgression.
May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. (Psalm 19:12-14)
Praying these verses takes care of both the sins we remember and the ones we don’t.

Andy C

Reborn to fly
Scripture clearly states that if a person practices sin that they will not inherit the kingdom of God. It's very clear:

(ESV) 1 Cor 6:9 "Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality,"

Now we're not referring to believers who sin at times in the process of learning to walk with God. We are talking about people who live contrary to God in their way of life. If one is truly saved he won't seek to do evil. Also not saying that people have recurring problems they are dealing with are living that way, but anyone whose life has been regenerated will seek the Lord in his daily life and want to change. So I would be honest with that person and say that if he desires God he will desire to change and do so. We can't do it for them,...... they must want to.
Just to be clear, you believe if I claim to be a Christian, and I practice sin, Im not saved. But if I only commit several small sins a day, Im saved? Is salvation based on our behavior or our belief in Jesus as our Savior?

Goodboy

On my way up!

Why stop at 1 Corinthians 6:9? Let's look at verses 6:10 and 6:11.

1 Corinthians 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
1 Corinthians 6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
1 Corinthians 6:11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

So Paul says that some of the Corinthians (actually all fit in at least one of the categories) were unrighteous. So what changed for the Corinthians? Not their behavior, but their belief in Jesus which washed, sanctified and justified them.

A statement I would make is "Know ye not that salvation is a free gift requiring nothing on the believer's part".

Romans 5:15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.
Romans 5:16 And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.
Romans 5:18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

Goodboy

On my way up!
Goodboy you aren't being fair with the question :wink if they're already saved (and have told us that) then the conversation would turn to how to stay in fellowship with God and why it's important to be receptive to God's sanctification process
Salluz,
You are 100 percent correct. But if you remember I asked the question of those who believe that a Christian living in sin cannot be saved. So the question was not to you, only to those who believe you must do something like not sin, in order to be saved.

kathymendel

I believe that when a child accepts the Lord Jesus - with limited understanding, for sure - he does it with a sincere heart. He may continue on the path of sanctification the rest of his life. Or, he may, as he grows up, walk away from the path of righteousness, and go his own way. For a while or for the rest of his life. His life will be adversely affected, and he will not enjoy the peace and joy of life, walking with the Lord. But, he will still be saved, and will go to heaven. I know I've read - but can't site where- in the bible, that God says there will be those in heaven who make it by the "skin of their teeth"............. l believe he is referring to those believers. But, they are there............. because of Jesus paying the price for them, and their acceptance of it. I believe the same about an adult - if their heart was sincere when they made their confession of faith. Just my two cents worth.

Goodboy

On my way up!
I believe that when a child accepts the Lord Jesus - with limited understanding, for sure - he does it with a sincere heart. He may continue on the path of sanctification the rest of his life. Or, he may, as he grows up, walk away from the path of righteousness, and go his own way. For a while or for the rest of his life. His life will be adversely affected, and he will not enjoy the peace and joy of life, walking with the Lord. But, he will still be saved, and will go to heaven. I know I've read - but can't site where- in the bible, that God says there will be those in heaven who make it by the "skin of their teeth"............. l believe he is referring to those believers. But, they are there............. because of Jesus paying the price for them, and their acceptance of it. I believe the same about an adult - if their heart was sincere when they made their confession of faith. Just my two cents worth.
Not sure if this is the verse you are referring to, but here is one.

Matthew 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Wow!!! Someone teaching men to break the commandments and still ends up in Heaven. Who would have thought!

antitox

Just to be clear, you believe if I claim to be a Christian, and I practice sin, Im not saved. But if I only commit several small sins a day, Im saved? Is salvation based on our behavior or our belief in Jesus as our Savior?
I thought my explanation of one who belongs to God was a good point. I'm sure many have heard the explanation in many a pulpit that one who is saved does not continue to practice sinning. At least that is what has been understood. A changed life means our direction changes - we don't continue in the same direction we were in. It is not the claim that if one has sin issues is not saved. But if I continue to scam people for the rest of my life or kill people do I think that I would go to heaven? I don't think I would.

Goodboy

On my way up!
I thought my explanation of one who belongs to God was a good point. I'm sure many have heard the explanation in many a pulpit that one who is saved does not continue to practice sinning. At least that is what has been understood. A changed life means our direction changes - we don't continue in the same direction we were in. It is not the claim that if one has sin issues is not saved. But if I continue to scam people for the rest of my life or kill people do I think that I would go to heaven? I don't think I would.
Don't worry, God has it all under control. :) It is God's judgement that counts not ours. Is King David in Heaven? Look at what he did.

While what you and I think or feel may be interesting, only the bible is the truth, everything else is just opinion. When debating points of view as Christians we need to provide scripture to backup what we conclude. Even Jesus used scripture in his conversation with Satan.

Last edited:

antitox

Don't worry, God has it all under control. :) It is God's judgement that counts not ours. Is King David in Heaven? Look at what he did.

While what you and I think or feel may be interesting, only the bible is the truth, everything else is just opinion. When debating points of view as Christians we need to provide scripture to backup what we conclude. Even Jesus used scripture in his conversation with Satan.
I thought all the scripture that has been posted states it like it is. It's not about my feelings. If it was, I would be excusing myself. Somewhere it has to be seen that there is a changed life somehow. We aren't perfect, obviously, but my posts are in no way to put aside the grace of God. Many times in my younger years I thought I sinned so much and my mind wasn't disciplined that I was thought I was on the wrong path, but I know that God was seeing me thru because He knew what needed to take place to get me down the road in His grace. It's easy to misunderstand where people are coming from on a bulletin board where it takes much more to convey a complete and balanced thought concerning Spirit life.

Goodboy

On my way up!
I thought all the scripture that has been posted states it like it is. It's not about my feelings. If it was, I would be excusing myself. Somewhere it has to be seen that there is a changed life somehow. We aren't perfect, obviously, but my posts are in no way to put aside the grace of God. Many times in my younger years I thought I sinned so much and my mind wasn't disciplined that I was thought I was on the wrong path, but I know that God was seeing me thru because He knew what needed to take place to get me down the road in His grace. It's easy to misunderstand where people are coming from on a bulletin board where it takes much more to convey a complete and balanced thought concerning Spirit life.
I got the the impression from your statement "But if I continue to scam people for the rest of my life or kill people do I think that I would go to heaven? I don't think I would." that you were stating what you think, not necessarily what the bible says. If that was not what you meant, then I am sorry that I took what you said incorrectly. :shake

By the way, did you read my response to you in post #9?

Bohdan

Not really an answer to the question, but possibly relevant.

There was never a time in my life when I did not consider myself a Christian, including all those years before I was saved.
I'm sure I am far from the only one like this.

Goodboy

On my way up!
Not really an answer to the question, but possibly relevant.

There was never a time in my life when I did not consider myself a Christian, including all those years before I was saved.
I'm sure I am far from the only one like this.
While I appreciate your post, I am not sure that I get your point. :scratch
Would you please expound a little as to how your post relates to the subject matter. :)