7 Reasons You Should Quit Facebook

BarbT

:nod :thumbup

When POTUS recognized Jerusalem as Israel's eternal capital I hurriedly raced to his FB page to post pertinent scripture but other Christians had beaten me to it.:D Liberals were spitting nails over Trump's bold action and they came to vent their anger on the fast-moving threads. Ironically, this led them into discussions where God's love for Israel as well as for them was declared by many people, who backed up their words with scripture.

It's comforting to know there's an army of believers "out there" using online resources to minister to the lost. Seeing them standing firmly for God's Word in the midst of battle renews my zeal to keep going. :bible

Mish

Our (Christians) primary objective within this earthly life was clearly outlined (in The Bible) by Jesus. We are ALL missionaries and that 'mission' is to spread the Word of God, seeking always to do the Will of God.

Whenever we have the opportunity to plant seeds and share the Gospel message, we are fulfilling Christ's Great Commission! I applaud all of you that use 'whatever means necessary' (& available) in your quest to share the "Light of the World" in a world that is becoming increasingly dark, on a daily basis! :scripture

I want to personally thank each and every one of you that goes into battle with the banner of God's Truth, in a society that embraces a darkness that has become more ubiquitous than I ever thought possible! :fear Our missionary work is everywhere and God warned us that the task He gave (to His children) would not be easy. Just as the Apostles were told to brush the dust from their feet and leave (when a town refused the message of Salvation), we, too must follow that example while never losing our desire for the mission we have been given through Christ.

Thanks be to God for (y'all) spreading His Word, for dressing yourselves in the :armorArmor Of God, and for joyfully entering into the darkness to shine a bright light:candle for the Truth that can only be found in our Lord and Savior, Christ Jesus!:hug

I can't begin to imagine (in a visual sense) what the spiritual battle must look like, in our present age! :runforhills Many grateful thanks, again for all those who share God's Word within the realm of social media! :thankyou, :thankyou!!!!!!!!!!

I have never felt more like a stranger in this world than I do now.:stars I cannot fathom the attitudes and actions that have pervaded and perverted the world of today. :loco The more God is eliminated from HIS creation, the greater evil becomes the accepted norm. :electric :eek All I can say is, "Lord, come quickly"..., very quickly- but Your Will (not mine) be done.

Jan51

I agree that Facebook is a great witnessing tool to share the gospel. :amenWe can reach many:pray people on there!
Today I am thanking God for Facebook! Our 39-year-old son was saved as a child but never got baptized. Today he did--on the last day in his church before moving out of state! His wife videoed it, which included about a 4-minute testimony. She posted it on his page, her page, mine, my husband's, their son's, and her parents. That means that FB "friends" of all those people can view it! I would never have imagined him giving a public testimony like that! I pray that God uses it.

I told him that, thanks to FB, I thought this is more like New Testament baptism--a public testimony of faith in Christ, not just in the privacy of a church in front of people who are already believers.

My heart is very full!

InsuranceGuy

The flip side of the story is that you can touch lives with the Bible on Facebook still.
This post was from 3 years ago. I wonder if anyone feels this way today. When I quit Facebook, the mentioning of the Bible led to arguments and heated debates, which left me in Facebook jail twice. Amazing to me that people in the USA will defend Islam and rip apart Christianity as being the "intolerant" ones. Maybe some people can have success with touching lives on Social Media. I honestly never had that experience though.

Luke12

The only reason I am on FB is to keep tabs temporarily on some people down in Florida and also my friend who lives in Thailand.
I know someone who has some 2000 friends on FB. I only have 20 or so. I'll be quitting it in the near future.

Last edited:

Jan51

This post was from 3 years ago. I wonder if anyone feels this way today. When I quit Facebook, the mentioning of the Bible led to arguments and heated debates, which left me in Facebook jail twice. Amazing to me that people in the USA will defend Islam and rip apart Christianity as being the "intolerant" ones. Maybe some people can have success with touching lives on Social Media. I honestly never had that experience though.
I post lots of Bible stuff. Sometimes the lefties make comments, sometimes they don't. Sometimes I comment on their stuff with biblical responses, sometimes I don't. I've never been in FB jail. I don't argue, I don't attack the person or give opinions. I try to confine myself to facts. If they reply and disagree, I usually let it stand and don't let myself get sucked into a back and forth. At least half my "friends" are Christians and can draw their own conclusions about the nonsense the lefties post. I have no idea if anything I post has ever made any difference to unbelievers, but I often pray it does, even if it's not until after the rapture....

TimeWarpWife

I quit FB over a year ago when the administrators notified me that the YouTube video "Are You Ready?" (about the Rapture) might be offensive to some of my friends and therefore it was no longer available for said friends to see. All but three of my friends were Christians and even the three who weren't didn't have a problem with the video.

InsuranceGuy

I quit FB over a year ago when the administrators notified me that the YouTube video "Are You Ready?" (about the Rapture) might be offensive to some of my friends and therefore it was no longer available for said friends to see. All but three of my friends were Christians and even the three who weren't didn't have a problem with the video.
Good for you! Facebook is evil. The last time I was suspended (put in Facebook jail) was the last time I was on there. It was years ago. I had an attorney friend who is a die-hard Liberal. She posted verses one day from the Quran and the Bible to show how peaceful Islam is and how the Bible was against all women. Naturally she used Old Testament verses and took verses regarding stoning WAYYYYYYY out of context, but you can't tell a Liberal anything. Some of her Muslim friends were piping in about how they were misunderstood and Christians did everything to make them look bad. Before I posted anything, there were at least a couple dozen posts about how Christians are the real problem. The thread got really ugly, really fast. One of the Muslim guys used Google Street View to post a picture of my house and address in the thread. He said "in case anyone wanted to know where the intolerant ****** lived." That freaked out my wife, so I posted in a very polite manner the list of guns in my home and invited them all over saying I could use the target practice. Boom! I was banned. It's totally ok for them to post a picture of my house and my address. It's ok for them to tear apart God, the Bible and Christianity. I was the one put in Facebook jail for 30 days though (it was my second offense. The first one involved the same attorney). After my account was unlocked, I deleted it and haven't been back on there since. Not a single Christian friend I have would post in that thread out of fear of what a group of liberals could do. Whatever. I lost a lot of faith in my "friends" that day and can totally see how the AntiChrist will easily be able to steamroll those left behind. If you can't defend God today, you certainly aren't going to defend him when the entire world hates you. Today only 90% hate us. lol

Edited to add - I am still cordial with my attorney friend. She is a Liberal, but was not happy my address was posted on her timeline. We do not discuss religion and/or politics, but do occasionally still email and text.

Luke12

The last day or so on my FB it locks up once in a while it had never done that before in the last year or so. I had my face on the
page where you're supposed to put it and it was a full frontal shot which had great resolution. I removed that a week ago.
Plus also I had a picture of the old city of Jerusalem which included the big golden dome. I also stated that I was a follower of the Lord Jesus Christ. Dunno if I'm being paranoid but it bugs me. Sorry for the pun.
On a lighter note just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that people aren't out to get me. :biggrin2

kathymendel

I am not a fan of Facebook. I am kind of angry that it took over and now most people use it instead of emailing anymore.
I loved email.................. you could sit down and take your time writing, share your innermost feelings on topics, get to know you friends better and let them know you better. It was convenient because you could write and send any hour of the day or night, and people could read any hour of the day or night. Only one or two of the many people who I used to email with still use it............... they are all now on Facebook instead, putting five to ten word snippets all over the place..... or pictures, and memes. So shallow. Many of them are no longer friends, because they will not invest the time anymore to share of themselves in emails. Yes, I go on Facebook once in a while............ not often at all........... to see what those friends and family members are up to............ but, it's not heartwarming............it holds no real value. I am guessing that as time goes on I will leave Facebook. The only thing I would truly miss is my Words With Friends games with my daughter. (We talk on the phone............we don't do Facebook with each other except for the game.) I think people don't want to be personal with each other anymore....
it's so sad...........

Len

Isnt the internet a wonderful medium for finding out stuff!!
Only one or two of the many people who I used to email with still use it............... they are all now on Facebook instead, putting five to ten word snippets all over the place..... or pictures, and memes. So shallow.
I really think you have hit onto the answer of facebooks reality there Kathy, it is the way most of humanity has moved from personal to something else .... I fondly remember how personal a hand written letter was to send or recieve, but as you point out these days a few minutes is all that most seem to want to invest, sadly this is why there is also so much anger, intolerence and violence ...... no one cares about the other person, no one esteems others above themselves (the world in general) ........ ego centric like kids, boasters, pleasure seekers, sport is god etc> endtimes signs are everywhere eh!, both sad and true

2 Timothy 3:1-5 (KJV)This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, high-minded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

2 Timothy 3:2-5 New Living Translation (NLT)

2 For people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred. 3 They will be unloving and unforgiving; they will slander others and have no self-control. They will be cruel and hate what is good. 4 They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and love pleasure rather than God. 5 They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that!

kathymendel

Isnt the internet a wonderful medium for finding out stuff!!

I really think you have hit onto the answer of facebooks reality there Kathy, it is the way most of humanity has moved from personal to something else .... I fondly remember how personal a hand written letter was to send or recieve, but as you point out these days a few minutes is all that most seem to want to invest, sadly this is why there is also so much anger, intolerence and violence ...... no one cares about the other person, no one esteems others above themselves (the world in general) ........ ego centric like kids, boasters, pleasure seekers, sport is god etc> endtimes signs are everywhere eh!, both sad and true

2 Timothy 3:1-5 (KJV)This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, high-minded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

2 Timothy 3:2-5 New Living Translation (NLT)

2 For people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred. 3 They will be unloving and unforgiving; they will slander others and have no self-control. They will be cruel and hate what is good. 4 They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and love pleasure rather than God. 5 They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that!
I couldn't have said it better, Len!!!

Hol

Worships Him
Our missionary work is everywhere and God warned us that the task He gave (to His children) would not be easy. Just as the Apostles were told to brush the dust from their feet and leave (when a town refused the message of Salvation), we, too must follow that example while never losing our desire for the mission we have been given through Christ.
Thank you dear sister!

Yes, three years later I still am able to share the Gospel on FB. Generally I avoid mentioning ‘hot’ words that lead to FB jail. Related to Islam, my posts are in support of one apologist, Georges Houssney, and one polemist, Jay Smith. Both are experts on falsehoods in Islam, yet very gentle in their approach. Most recently I’ve enjoyed fellowship in a group devoted to the teachings of Pastor Andy Woods. We’re a small group, with little disagreements. As a small group we do experience attack when we individually venture out to other groups (specifically in debates re: Calvinism). Though these debates may become heated, our discussions do not even hit the FB radar. I don’t think FB has developed an algorithm for ‘TULIP,’ or ‘Calvin.’ However, I have a dear friend in Australia who has been in FB jail many times, due to her pro-life views. My guess is that it is because she’s there, because I post many pro-life messages from the US and have not been blocked. (She and I became friends due to our mutual respect for Dr. Arnold Fruchtenbaum years ago.) Anyhow, some good news, Australia is experiencing some Christian values resurgence! And, she hasn’t been ‘jailed’ by FB in some time!

Regarding FB, it is not the same rich fellowship as here at RF; what it can provide is a means to share truths with ‘friends’ who would never view the truths that Chris upholds here on RF. I applaud his & Adrian’s ongoing efforts; upholding them in prayer & would direct a few Christians seeking maturity to RF. My little local church is very strong in loving fellowship, but low in doctrinal grasp, so my Pastor asked me to offer a Sunday school hour for a handful who will commit to reading 14-chapters of the Bible each week. Biblical literacy is very low, and I know that unless I pray I can’t get through such few chapters a week. That’s sad, and I think that’s why arguments occur on FB.

SonSeeker

Great to hear from you, Hol! :hug
I'm sure you pop in more often than I know,
Do you stay current on various areas of RF? Specifically, the Prayer threads? If not, I'd be happy to get current with you via e-mail.

TRex2

Thank you dear sister!
Yes, three years later I still am able to share the Gospel on FB. Generally I avoid mentioning ‘hot’ words that lead to FB jail. Related to Islam, my posts are in support of one apologist, Georges Houssney, and one polemist, Jay Smith. Both are experts on falsehoods in Islam, yet very gentle in their approach. Most recently I’ve enjoyed fellowship in a group devoted to the teachings of Pastor Andy Woods. We’re a small group, with little disagreements. As a small group we do experience attack when we individually venture out to other groups (specifically in debates re: Calvinism). Though these debates may become heated, our discussions do not even hit the FB radar. I don’t think FB has developed an algorithm for ‘TULIP,’ or ‘Calvin.’ However, I have a dear friend in Australia who has been in FB jail many times, due to her pro-life views. My guess is that it is because she’s there, because I post many pro-life messages from the US and have not been blocked. (She and I became friends due to our mutual respect for Dr. Arnold Fruchtenbaum years ago.) Anyhow, some good news, ...
You do have to understand, tho, that FB is Satan's storefront, and he will change the rules at times he sees fit. While he allows you there, it is merely to gather intel on you and your friends (more on that in a second) and to try to lull you into the mindset that the management of Facebook and their friends are your friends.

As for the gathering of intel (why do you think they insist on real names?), I saw a post somewhere on this thread that they regularly disregard privacy, and I have to say that it isn't just them. A church I recently began attending put my face and name on FB, without my knowledge. Not everyone likes" me (Sinaloa cartel, Hamas and BLM, for instance: these are all groups I have been a thorn in the side of from time to time) thankfully I don't think I am a big enough target for this to be much of a threat, but if it were, they could have just exposed me to attack by violent gangs.

Mish

I agree with everything you said, there is no such thing as true privacy when we access the offerings of the internet. (OT- my dh works for the government and his work is laser-focused on network security. The average person is not aware of just how much personal data is being covertly collected every single minute! :fear

We are still called to spread His Word, even in hostile territories such as the dreaded FB. I seek other opportunities, safer opportunities. But I am always thankful for our brothers and sisters in Christ who dare to enter a realm that Satan has taken for his own.

InsuranceGuy

Interestingly, the end of life psychologist the hospital makes me see encourages his people to use Facebook. I told him I won't do it and he said "it would be good for me" for multiple reasons. Ummmm, no. I am not mature enough for Facebook. I cannot keep my thoughts to myself when a Liberal posts something stupid, or a Muslim speaks of their peaceful religion. There are a few friends I would like to catch up with, however, it's not worth the headache.

athenasius

Interestingly, the end of life psychologist the hospital makes me see encourages his people to use Facebook. I told him I won't do it and he said "it would be good for me" for multiple reasons. Ummmm, no. I am not mature enough for Facebook. I cannot keep my thoughts to myself when a Liberal posts something stupid, or a Muslim speaks of their peaceful religion. There are a few friends I would like to catch up with, however, it's not worth the headache.
wisdom!

George is our Facebook rep in our family. I get too stressed and upset when I see some of the posts from unsaved family antics.