42nd anniversary gift ideas?

RonJohnSilver

Our anniversary is Tuesday, the 16th. It was 1980, 11am, Baylor University Chapel. Honeymooned in Houston first, then to Cancun for a week. Anyway, we've gotten away from gifts for any reason but I like to surprise my bride occasionally but, this year, this month actually, we've both been sick. She got covid and gave it to me. We're almost well but neither of us have spent much (any) time shopping so it's all last minute. There is no specific 'traditional' gift for 42 years, online stores recommend jasper and 'home/housing' themed ideas. We've never followed those guidelines but interesting to see what retailers recommend. So, any ideas for a last minute surprise? Turns out that Elvis's death is also the 16th and we both like him but not so much that I want to have any Elvis themed stuff around. And we already saw the Elvis movie that's out. I wish I'd thought of that a couple months ago. Again, any meaningful (and unexpected) anniversary gifts that anyone can recall?

RonJohnSilver

O.K., I got it figured out. Here's the plan. Since money is an issue and we don't like to get out among the crowds much we usually spend our evenings at home watching TV. Our favorite shows? Well, crime shows. She watches Hallmark movies but I won't,... I have my standards. And, Julianne always gets popcorn when we go to the movies. And, as it happens, I just received (today) the dvds of the UK series 'Broadchurch', a police/murder series. I've seen the show before but she has never seen the complete series. And, finally, there is a specialty popcorn store not terribly far away, so, tomorrow, I go to the popcorn place, buy some interesting flavored popcorn and surprise her with the dvds for an evening of murder and popcorn. Not the traditional anniversary celebration but it works for us. After 42 years, I know. Only issue now is what flavor popcorn to get. Mac and cheese? Birthday Cake? As a 'by the way', if you like detective shows, Broadchurch is terrific. I have to use subtitles or I'd never understand what some of them are saying, but it is a well done show. I'm just sad that the people didn't want to make more. It ran 3 seasons, but it's really one story. Apparently, in the UK, a standard TV season is much shorter than what most US viewers grew up with. So, that's the anniversary plan. Thank you. RJS.