2022 Olympic Winter Games

RonJohnSilver

I'm not sure how much I'll watch but I love those speed events like bobsled and downhill. And you have to give it to the Chinese....they know how to put on an impressive ceremony. That LED-floor was really something. And, as usual, the media was obsessing over everything that was remotely political. Then again, the Chinese made their point with the Uighur guy lighting the torch. Overall, it was obviously heavily orchestrated, although nicely done. Sad to see empty seats. Putin looked lonely and sleepy. Still, I got what I expected...a pleasant, though orchestrated, ceremony, heavy drivel about respect and peace and other things that aren't happening and seeing flags of some countries that I'd never heard of. And just a thought...where do the athletes of the southern countries live and train? Are there mountains and snow in Ghana?

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I watch because I enjoy watching our athletes who have worked sooooooo hard to be there. They deserve our support.
I hate that they have injected so much politics into these games. Theses kids deserve better. I hope if there is a next time that they pick a more neutral venue.

An athlete's life is mostly consumed by their efforts in the sport they're trying to become world class in. I don't like when these events are politicized. I'm pleased that our athletes have the green light to be there and I wish them all well. I don't have tv and if these things are broadcast for free (I've never paid for tv content and never will) over the internet I've never made an effort to find out because I'm really not interested in watching, but I do look up the medal counts and sometimes read an article about a specific competitive event.

Additionally, I don't have a problem with China being the host. Yes, they're guilty of some horrible things. Is the US govmint any better? Or many other govmints around the world... I look at Breitbart News on a regular basis and am very turned off at their heavy politicization of these games.

mattfivefour

Sorry, I will not be watching these Olympics ... even though I am a huge fan of athletic competitions, across a broad range of sports.

First, I'm not about to watch more transgender men win more medals in women's sports. It's not fair for women to have to compete against biological men in women's sports. Nor am I going to watch LGBTQ+ athletes use sports to glorify their sexual identities.

Second, China is looking to these games to enhance its image in the world, establishing its authoritarian governmental model as the perfect form of governance. The multi-billion dollar Beijing Olympics are a glitzy distraction for the Chinese people at large and for the world, a massive misdirection to draw attention away from massive human rights abuses and outright genocidal policies and practices. And the plight of Christians in China is not some minor issue: our brothers and sisters are suffering greatly at the hands of the Chinese Communist government.

So, sorry, I am not watching. As we have seen in America, with all types of amateur and professional sports, sports are no longer entertainment; they are now backdrops for political activism. And I have had quite enough of that, thank you. If I want to be entertained, I'll watch a good movie. If I want to be excited, I'll watch a good church service.

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
Sorry, I will not be watching these Olympics ... even though I am a huge fan of athletic competitions, across a broad range of sports.

First, I'm not about to watch more transgender men win more medals in women's sports. It's not fair for women to have to compete against biological men in women's sports. Nor am I going to watch LGBTQ+ athletes use sports to glorify their sexual identities.

Second, China is looking to these games to enhance its image in the world, establishing its authoritarian governmental model as the perfect form of governance. The multi-billion dollar Beijing Olympics are a glitzy distraction for the Chinese people at large and for the world, a massive misdirection to draw attention away from massive human rights abuses and outright genocidal policies and practices. And the plight of Christians in China is not some minor issue: our brothers and sisters are suffering greatly at the hands of the Chinese Communists government.

So, sorry, I am not watching. As we have seen in America, with all types of amateur and professional sports, sports are no longer entertainment; they are now backdrops for political activism. And I have had quite enough of that, thankyou. If I want to be entertained, I'll watch a good movie. If I want to be excited, I'll watch a good church service.
I absolutely agree with you I have no desire to watch this. People have lost a lot of family and friends because of China. Not interested at all! Very well stated MattFiveFour! :bighug

SkyRider

No interest whatsoever. I don't see the necessity to reward China for bad behavior just because we have American athletes participating. China is not our friend; quite the opposite actually. They are our number one enemy and we should not be coddling them. Would we still be sending and supporting athletes in Tehran if Iran had ever got the opportunity to host the Olympics after all the bad things that they are involved in? Where do we draw the line to say that sporting games should not be shut down only because the host nation does things that are not acceptable to societies norms?

China gave us the Wuhan virus. They censor their citizens from any outside news sources that paint their government in a bad light regarding the corrupt policies that they force on its own countrymen. They have imprisoned Muslims in their country. They took over control of Tibet and don't allow any discussion of its status within their nation by its citizens and try to limit talk of it in the UN. China will attempt to reunify Taiwan to the motherland and are making preparations to do so in the very near future. They are out to be the number one superpower and will do all they can to weaken America. We have corrupt individuals throughout our government aiding them in this endeavor.

And we don't want to boycott them because of games??? Those are more important than the nonsense that they export to the rest of the world?

Lastcall

I watch because I enjoy watching our athletes who have worked sooooooo hard to be there. They deserve our support.
I hate that they have injected so much politics into these games. Theses kids deserve better. I hope if there is a next time that they pick a more neutral venue.
Agree. The games have been played for over a century, and the only times they were cancelled was during world wars I and II.

Its the one time many countries can be at the same place, at same time, while getting along in friendly competition.

Unlike the summer olympics, the winter olympic athletes are much more low key, and not the prima donnas such as the track stars, and especially the sprinters. However, snowboarders might be an exception….

These games do not showcase China, as they cant fool anyone with their charades.