2,000-year-old ‘Freedom to Zion’ coins found in biblical heartland

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
2,000-year-old ‘Freedom to Zion’ coins found in biblical heartland
The coins, dated to around the Second Temple and Bar Kochba revolt periods, document the Jewish revolt against the Romans.
By ROSSELLA TERCATIN JULY 13, 2021

Two coins dating back some 2,000 years were found in the Binyamin region of the West Bank during an archaeological survey conducted by Bar-Ilan University, the university and the Binyamin Regional Council announced Tuesday. The coins date back to the period of the Jewish revolts against the Romans. The area is located in the northern part of the Judean Desert.

“We conducted the survey about a year ago with a group of my students,” said Dr. Dvir Raviv from Bar-Ilan, who led the initiative. “We had heard about antiquities looters active in the area, and especially in a cave near Wadi Rashash. I visited the cave and I saw pottery sherds and potential for interesting findings.” An archaeological survey does not involve extensive excavations but rather having researchers sample what is on the surface of an area or just very limited digging.

more............ https://www.jpost.com/archaeology/2...to-zion-coins-found-in-binyamin-region-673677

Reactions: Len
Back