15 Minutes to Collect Your Belongings

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Over in the collapsed condo thread, I posted a link to an article about residents of another high-rise building, who had been evacuated due to structural and electrical issues in their building. Today, they were allowed to go back for 15 minutes to get their personal belongings. At this time, it looks like the building will be repaired, but some residents have indicated they won't be going back. If it had been you, what would you grab in that 15 minutes?

Musician 4 Jesus

Psalms 150 : 1-6 KJV
Over in the collapsed condo thread, I posted a link to an article about residents of another high-rise building, who had been evacuated due to structural and electrical issues in their building. Today, they were allowed to go back for 15 minutes to get their personal belongings. At this time, it looks like the building will be repaired, but some residents have indicated they won't be going back. If it had been you, what would you grab in that 15 minutes?
My pets that would have been in there my Bible and All my musical instruments.

athenasius

We live in an area prone to wild fires and last minute evacuations. I learned many years ago to keep a bag packed and important papers near the front door.

Passports, birth certificates and essential tax files are always handy to grab last minute.

Drive on the top half of the gas tank, never let it go below half.

I was just checking our kits to make sure our Rx meds and OTC meds are all up to date. I keep 3 weeks to a month of Rx meds in those grab and go kits.

I also have a notebook with passwords so we can continue to access accounts, pay bills etc. And a little address book.

Cell phones, iPads and laptops plus chargers along with George’s CPAP machine.

A lot of our books are on Kindle now, I’m planning on putting the photos on digital as well.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
One of the residents that went back took two wagons with him. I *assume* he got those sometime between the evacuation and the opportunity to go back. They sure would have made everything a lot easier.

I actually have an informal plan.

2 soft small bags
1 fireproof box
The NAS
2 laptops
Travel bag

I can carry it all in one trip and need about 90 seconds to gather it all.

Lovin Jesus

15 minutes. Realistically, I'm by myself and disabled so in a last minute notice I wouldn't be able to gather much of anything.,Given this serves as a warning for potential future catastrophe as anything it is a good idea to have a preparedness tote with things I would want to salvage should this happen to me with all important documents and valuables and photos in a tote bag kept close to my exit
This is what was stressed for years to Californians as we've waited biting nails for the "Big One" that recently has been giving us some tremors to let us know those plates are shifting like clockwork.
I do keep all of my medicine in one location with easy access so that I can grab if I am in emergency.

cheeky200386

My Bible, Photo Albums, my drawer with all my personal and business documents, and lastly my external hard drive with electronic files. Thankfully this is all organized and easy to grab and go.

Leigh

This is a great thread; it's important to plan ahead and be prepared. I'm going to have to think about this and maybe post later. Our stuff is so spread out that I can picture myself rushing from room to room trying to pack the most important things in 15 minutes. o_O
Drive on the top half of the gas tank, never let it go below half.

I try and do this too; with my elderly mother 4 hours away, and my younger son several hours away at school, one never knows when there could be an emergency and we'd need to get to them as quickly as possible.

[In fact that did happen with my son a couple of months ago. He developed appendicitis symptoms in the middle of the night and was unable to drive himself to the hospital and had no friends nearby to help. I was out of the state so my husband had to leave home at 3:30 am, drive 1.5 hours to pick him up and take him to the ER. (Yes he could've called an ambulance but we decided to do it this way.) Thankfully DH didn't have to look for a gas station along the way.]

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
*Assuming* I wasn't home during the original evacuation, or hadn't taken the following with me when I evacuated (jumped off the balcony or carried out unconscious, etc.):
Dog
Go bag*
Instrument
Music

* includes USB with administrative preparedness information found in my posts 1, 7, and 12 in https://www.raptureforums.com/forum...to-evacuate-discussion.167045/#post-843229999

and . . .
Anything irreplaceable (photos, plaques, pet cremains, etc.)
Original certificates, diplomas, etc.
Box of favorite books
Rest of my music
Prescriptions and supplements
Computer with cords, etc.
Dog food and other dog items
Pillow and comforter

RobinB

I've often thought of what I'd grab if there was a fire. 15 minutes is a lot more time.... a small folder with important papers near my bed, a few photos, a handful of sentimental jewelry on the dresser, clothes for the escape, disaster back pack I bought years ago (I think from someone on RR or PF). Hubby's meds, my purse, laptop and our cell phones.

kathymendel

Bible, computer, briefcase with my important papers, dufflebag of clothes, meds, toiletries, cash stash, and keys to our little Shasta
trailer that is in storage fifteen miles away ..........
we never let our gas tank get under half-full.