1 Timothy 6:10 question/observation

twerpv

This bible verse is often mis-quoted by so many. 'They' will say "money is the root of all evil". We know that the Bible actually reads that the "LOVE" of money....
However, now to my question/observation. I have seen may Bible versions of this and two stand out.
King James = "For the love of money is the root of all evil"
Almost every other Bible = "For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil"

It seems to me there is a distinction but maybe I am reading more into it. They way I read in my Bible version (NIV), is that while the love of money is the root of many many evils, it is not the root of ALL evil. However, the way I read the KJV, it reads that the love of money is the root of ALL evil.

So is there a distinction? And which is correct? BTW, I am not looking to start an argument on the 'best' version....:)

SafReb

This bible verse is often mis-quoted by so many. 'They' will say "money is the root of all evil". We know that the Bible actually reads that the "LOVE" of money....
However, now to my question/observation. I have seen may Bible versions of this and two stand out.
King James = "For the love of money is the root of all evil"
Almost every other Bible = "For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil"

It seems to me there is a distinction but maybe I am reading more into it. They way I read in my Bible version (NIV), is that while the love of money is the root of many many evils, it is not the root of ALL evil. However, the way I read the KJV, it reads that the love of money is the root of ALL evil.

So is there a distinction? And which is correct? BTW, I am not looking to start an argument on the 'best' version....:)
The way I have always interpreted it is that the love of money is the root of ALL evil.

On a separate point, but on the same theme, I find it interesting that in Matt 6:24, the choice between two masters is God or mammon. In this phrase it implies that mammon is an individual / person rather than an object or a thing.

“No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.”

You cannot serve God and mammon: There are different opinions regarding the origin of the term mammon. Some think it was the name of a pagan god. And if the "love of money is the root of ALL evil", could that root be the enemy?

Also, we must remember that we don’t have to be rich to serve mammon (money and material things); the poor can be just as greedy and covetous as the rich can be.

Last edited:

Reason & Hope

I definitely go with the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil, and not just because the NASB says so (although they are a great translation).

Jealousy, lust, pride, hatred, malice... These have nothing to do with money, yet they are the roots of evil themselves. The man who rapes a woman, the jihadist who beheads an infidel, the woman who kills her boyfriend... money has nothing to do with their motives.

Kerbluey

I definitely go with the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil, and not just because the NASB says so (although they are a great translation).

Jealousy, lust, pride, hatred, malice... These have nothing to do with money, yet they are the roots of evil themselves. The man who rapes a woman, the jihadist who beheads an infidel, the woman who kills her boyfriend... money has nothing to do with their motives.

Agree! I was going to type this, but you said it better.

seated with Christ

Come quickly, Lord Jesus.
I am not going to transgress board rules and the will of the administrators by debating Bible’s, but I have strong opinions and I am very knowledgeable. :)

Back