1 Corinthians 6: 9-11

SBH29

1 Corinthians 6: 9-11 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, 10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

I was listening to a sermon yesterday and the pastor explained that even if you are saved, you will not inherit the kingdom if you participate in these activities. I know my heart belongs to Jesus and He is my Savior but I still struggle and fall on a daily basis, I feel terrible and pray for strength and forgiveness but somethings I keep doing. Now I'm afraid I'll be left behind.

Do you think the pastor was referring to people who call themselves Christians but make excuses on their behaviors and don't see the err of their ways, for example a person who calls themselves a Christians but is openly homosexual, or someone who cheats on their spouse and and shows no remorse? Like he says you can't be a christian bank robber!

Thanks,

1 Corinthians 6: 9-11 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, 10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

I was listening to a sermon yesterday and the pastor explained that even if you are saved, you will not inherit the kingdom if you participate in these activities. I know my heart belongs to Jesus and He is my Savior but I still struggle and fall on a daily basis, I feel terrible and pray for strength and forgiveness but somethings I keep doing. Now I'm afraid I'll be left behind.

Do you think the pastor was referring to people who call themselves Christians but make excuses on their behaviors and don't see the err of their ways, for example a person who calls themselves a Christians but is openly homosexual, or someone who cheats on their spouse and and shows no remorse? Like he says you can't be a christian bank robber!

Thanks,

There are none of us who do not end up falling into sin. The thing is: are you repenting of it and trying again to walk with the Lord?

Which pastor was it who said you wouldn't inherit the kingdom even if you were saved?

Uturn9319

The next verse after the highlighted: 11) And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

I'm curious to know what pastor said these things. We are human and we can fall into temptation. Are we daily putting on the armor of God?
Many times I don't, and I find the temptations bite me in the leg, I fall and I have to ask for forgiveness.

Last edited:

greg64

The Corinthians were doing all kinds of lewd and sinful things, yet Paul called them saints. And totally agree with Uturn -- verse 11 is key here.

I think the heart issue here is whether we fight against ourselves and are repulsed by the things we lapse and do or whether we try to recast God's word to somehow justify them. Do we agree with God about the things our flesh may slip into or do we tell God He's wrong and His standards are irrelevant in this day and age?

I heard a similar message this week about false teachers -- it ended just before verse 11 -- was really hoping that would have been part of it. Maybe next week.

Thanks,

I think the pastor is missing points.

Paul was discussing lawsuits among themselves. Note Paul said they were defeated already.

You must ask yourself what was the nature of their defeat?

If your neighbor, hugged many times by you at your worship service, does something to you, do you automatically sue? Why is your huggy, fellow member of your church, doing things to you?

Then the admonition in discussion. By what was happening among them was so egregious, the admonition makes perfect sense, they were acting in a way demonstrating they knew nothing about love, and likely had those other things going on.

Where as if you are living next to your fellow churchgoer, one you love, one you hug every week, he is likely not doing anything to you, you are likely not suing and ruining him, you love him, why not just be wronged?

The answer is obvious, we choose the latter, it is the way of love. But they were not, and were then admonished them of sin and those who practice such things, those who do such things as their practice.

The renewing of their mind was clearly deficient, judging by their practices.

So yes, if your mind is not renewed, if you will sue that sob the first chance you get, then going back to basic renewal of the mind is in order. And a warning about it seems appropriate.

He ends with basic teaching about the what and why of sexual immorality. In my mind because he went to basic simple commands to people who need to go back to the basics of sin, righteousness and judgement.

That's how I read it!

Last edited:

Batman

I'm OSAS and it's a good thing because I still struggle with my old man/nature. Paul did as well. We should be on a journey every day to become more and more obedient and less and less in sin, but that journey is not fulfilled until we die or are raptured.

greg64

Maybe I need to listen to it again in case I missed something. I can link the YouTube video but not sure I’m allowed here.
What you really need to know part 4, came out a couple days ago.

I need to listen to it again, but I just downloaded the study notes -- he had verse 11 highlighted, but I don't recall it coming out in the message. Almost like he ran short on time and skipped to the end, as this was being used as supporting scripture, but not the main thrust of the message which was from 2 Peter 10:17-22. I also think it's important he was speaking from that context, but it did kind of leave me scratching my head a bit.

mattfivefour

Thanks,
If you are saved, the Kingdom is yours according to the Word of God and you are going in the Rapture ... whether dead or alive in the flesh at that time. Whoever this pastor was who said you would not if you committed certain sins ignored numerous relevant scriptures and is, thus, in serious error. There are a lot of legalists out there who do not truly understand the power of the Cross and the extent of Grace. Christ's work at Calvary, His precious gift to all who accept it is so much greater than most humans grasp. If your faith for your salvation is entirely in Jesus Christ and His fully finished, all-sufficient sacrifice on the Cross, then you are saved. It's no more complicated than that.

Salvation is a once-for-all transaction, a one and done deal. At the very moment of salvation you are "a new creation. The old things have passed away; behold, the new has come into being." (2 Corinthians 5:17) Colossians 1:13-14 explains that at the moment of your salvation —the very instant you put your faith in Christ and His finished work—you were "delivered from the dominion of darkness and transferred into the kingdom of His beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins." That's why the Holy Spirit led Paul to write, "I have been crucified with Christ, and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. And that which I now live in the flesh, I live through faith from the Son of God, the One having loved me and having given up Himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God. For if righteousness is through the Law, then Christ died for naught." (Galatians 2:20-21) That's why Jesus referred to salvation as being "born again." That is indeed what happens.

Just as surely as you are born physically and can no longer go back to being a fetus, you are born spiritually and can no longer go back to being unsaved. It's a once forever thing. A physical body can be killed, but the soul that resides in it cannot: it lives forever. Where it lives is the question. For those who have accepted Christ as their Savior, the one and done deal I outlined in the preceding paragraph guarantees that they will live eternally in God's presence. That great and precious gift is based on what Christ did, not on anything they did ... other than accepting the salvation so freely offered them. You are no different. Don't let a confused, mistaken preacher get you confused between salvation and sanctification.

Sanctification is the process that begins at salvation and progressively changes us toward reflecting the image of Christ here in this life so that we may be effective witnesses for Him here and now. It has no impact on our salvation and the guarantee of Heaven; but it has every effect on the rewards laid up for us there. And that is what counts, for Scriptures such as Matthew 6:19-20 and Colossians 1:1-4 tell us that what happens on this planet in this life is temporal; it will pass away. But the treasures we lay up for ourselves in Heaven will be there for us to enjoy forever. Remember this: at the moment of Salvation you were sealed by the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit does not pop in and out depending on how you treat Him. He does not seal you, unseal you, reseal you, et cetera, et cetera depending on your actions. When you sin you do not lose relationship with God, you lose fellowship. As we saw above, you were irrevocably changed forever at salvation; you became His. Live in that confidence. and when you sin (not "if", because we all do in some way) confess your sin, desire to turn from it, and humbly rely upon God to produce in your soul the victory which He won for you at Calvary. He will.

I pray this helps.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
Hmmmm....this link seems to have some red flags to me.

*link removed - don't want to give them exposure*

*content removed*

This mid-Acts dispensationalism is unbiblical.

From the above, first link: mid-Acts Pauline dispensational is being promoted which is:

https://www.gotquestions.org/mid-Acts-dispensationalism.html

.........At that time, the Holy Spirit came upon the believers and empowered them to fulfill the Great Commission, and the church age began. However, mid-Acts dispensationalism sees that event as still part of the dispensation of Law; the “church” in the first part of Acts was a Jewish congregation under Jewish rules, not the church of the church age. According to mid-Acts dispensationalism, the church began with the ministry of the apostle Paul in either Acts 9 (Paul’s conversion) or Acts 13 (Paul’s first missionary journey).

Classical dispensationalism sees a biblical distinction between Israel and the church; mid-Acts dispensationalism takes it further, separating the Jewish congregation in Acts 1—8 from the Gentile church (the body of Christ) from then on.

According to mid-Acts dispensationalism or the Grace Movement, the apostles Peter, James, John, and the rest were still operating under the Old Covenant in Acts 1—8. They were still dutifully keeping the Law and still meeting as a Jewish body in Jerusalem. Peter and the other apostles preached repentance to Israel, but there was no church until Paul. It was Paul, the “apostle to the Gentiles” (Romans 11:13), to whom the doctrine of the church—and the doctrine of grace—was revealed. It was only after Paul began to minister that the church actually began. Thus, the only parts of the New Testament that are specifically for the church are the Pauline Epistles. The rest of the New Testament is only applicable to the church in a similar way that the Old Testament is applicable to the church. Truth can be learned from it, but it was not written to Christians.

There are some other problems with mid-Acts dispensationalism. In particular, its views on salvation, water baptism, and the church’s origin are based on misunderstandings of some points of Scripture. Here are some of the difficulties inherent in the teaching that the church began with Paul:

To Paul were revealed the details of the church, which had been a “mystery” in the Old Testament (Colossians 1:25–27). Mid-Acts dispensationalism wrongly assumes that Paul’s revelation about the church equals the beginning of the church itself.

Mid-Acts dispensationalism misinterprets Galatians 2:7, “I [Paul] had been entrusted with the task of preaching the gospel to the uncircumcised, just as Peter had been to the circumcised.” The mid-Acts dispensationalist makes a distinction between a “gospel of circumcision,” taught by Peter, and a “gospel of uncircumcision,” taught by Paul. In reality, Paul is referring to different audiences, not different gospels. The Jews whom Peter ministered to were saved by grace through faith, just as the Gentiles to whom Paul ministered.

Mid-Acts dispensationalism or the Grace Movement denies the need for water baptism for believers. They believe that Jesus’ command in Matthew 28:19 is not for the church. They exclude water baptism on the basis that the baptism of the Spirit, which occurs at salvation, has replaced water baptism.

Mid-Acts dispensationalism overlooks the fact that Gentiles were part of the early church before Paul was converted. Acts 2:10–11 makes it clear that the crowd listening to Peter preach on the Day of Pentecost included Gentile proselytes to Judaism. And Acts 8 shows how Samaritans and an Ethiopian were baptized into Christ before Paul ever started preaching the doctrine of the church or of grace. Thus there was a joint church body of Jews and Gentiles before Paul began his ministry.

Most importantly, mid-Acts dispensationalism or the Grace Movement claims there are “different gospels,” one taught by Peter and one taught by Paul. But the Old Testament (and the first part of the New Testament) does not teach salvation by works; the Jews in Galilee were not saved a different way from the Gentiles in Achaia.

Mid-Acts dispensationalism is opposed to several elements of orthodoxy. Its downplaying of half of the New Testament, its unwarranted exclusion of early Jewish believers from the body of Christ, its disregard of water baptism, and its allowance for a faith-plus-works gospel make the Grace Movement an unbiblical view.

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/pauline-dispensationalism/

A friend is taking some online Bible classes and said he just learned that Romans, 1, 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, and 1 & 2 Thessalonians were written to Gentiles. While Hebrews, James, 1,2,3, John, Jude, and Revelation were all written to the circumcised Christians. He has been to several different Schools and is a relativity new Christian and still looking for what he believes.

A
It sounds like he’s fallen in with a group of Pauline Dispensationalists, sometimes called Mid-Acts Dispensationalists. In my opinion they improperly use the phrase “rightly dividing the word of truth” from 2 Timothy 2:15 as their justification for deciding which parts of the New Testament are meant for the Church and which parts are not. They imply that the books they say were meant for “circumcised Christians” in effect became obsolete once the door was opened to the Gentiles, and the miracles that characterized the first half of the Book of Acts ceased for the Church as well.
But Paul’s advice to Timothy was not meant to split the Scriptures apart. After all, in the same letter Paul said, “All Scripture is God breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness, so that the man of God can be thoroughly equipped for every good work (2 Tim. 3:16).”
When used metaphorically, the Greek word translated “rightly dividing” means to hold a straight course. Some English translations of 2 Timothy 2:15 say, “correctly handles the word of truth.” Paul was instructing Timothy to teach God’s word accurately, correctly, and with precision so he wouldn’t be ashamed to stand before God and be judged for his teaching.

Last edited:
Back