1 Corinthians 15:29

alrdyreg

well first off we dont have a Bible study class at church (it bugs me but we are still new)

so i bring them up here so that we can discuss Gods Word. :thumbup

"Now if there no resurrection, what will those do who are baptized for the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized for them?"

my study notes say this:

1) living believers were being baptized for believers who died before they were baptized, so that they too, in this way, would not miss out on baptism.
2) Christians were being baptized in anticipation of the ressurection of the dead.
3) New converts were being baptized to fill the ranks of Christians who had died.

At any rate, Paul mentions this custom almost in passing using it in his arguments substantiating the resurrection of the dead, but without necessarily approving the practice. The passage will likely remain obscure.

vsi4Jesus

Living for the Lord
I read this and wanted to add my study notes as well.

This is the only verse in Scripture that says anything about baptizing for the dead. It has never been practiced or endorsed by the church. Even now it is practiced only by cults. Paul doesn't commend the practice but may be referring to the symbolism of resurrection in baptism. When one is baptized, that person is identified by faith with the risen Jesus and then is raised to walk a new life in him. Certainly there would be no need for such a baptism if a resurrection were not in the prophetic plan of God for believers.

I only bring this up because my mother is a Mormon. And when she goes to these Mormon temples she does baptisms for the dead. There have been many times I share my Christian beliefs with her and she does not want to hear about it. She tells me the Bible has errors and that Christians are an abomination. I do keep praying for her hoping one day she will see the real truth. But in her eyes if you are not a Mormon you will not get into the highest kingdom of heaven.

BuzzardHut

Bird Mod
A Lesson on Resurrection

I Corinthians 15:23-29

In I Corinthians 15:1-19, the fact of Jesus Christ's resurrection is detailed by Paul.
Beginning in I Corinthians 15:20 and going through I Corinthians 15:23, Paul speaks about the order of the resurrection. Jesus is the first one raised -- in a glorified body -- and then who are His at His return.

Next, I Corinthians 15:24-29 mention Jesus' reign and the abolition of death. This is when this controversial verse occurs: "Otherwise, what will those do who are baptized for the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why then are they baptized for them?"

Just north of Corinth was a city named Eleusis. This was the location of a pagan religion where baptism in the sea was practiced to guarantee a good afterlife. This religion was mention by Homer in Hymn to Demeter 478-79.2 The Corinthians were known to be heavily influenced by other customs. After all, they were in a large economic area where a great many different people frequented. It is probable that the Corinthians were being influenced by the religious practices found at Eleusis where baptism for the dead was practiced.

Paul used this example from the pagans in I Corinthians 15:29, when he said, "...if the dead are not raised, then why are they baptized for the dead?" Paul did not say "we". This is significant because the Christian church was not practicing baptism for the dead, but the pagans were.

Paul's point was simple. The resurrection is a reality. It is going to happen when Jesus returns. Even the pagans believe in the resurrection, otherwise, why would they baptize for the dead?

TomT

Didymus
Buzz Thanks for the comprehensive clarification -

...so many new Christians read those and other verses, and totally misunderstand the manner and language that Paul used to make his points...

Certainly there are many good aids for Bible Study -

I would personally recommend to anyone the 5 volume "Thru the Bible" series by J. Vernon McGee (these can be bought used on Amazon at a reasonable price as a full set - or by individual volume)

They are written in easy to comprehend terms and basically transcribe his radio shows that cover the entire Bible - chapter by chapter

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Apologetics Press :: Bible Bullets

Baptism for the Dead?
by Dave Miller, Ph.D.
[Español]

“Otherwise, what will they do who are baptized for the dead, if the dead do not rise at all? Why then are they baptized for the dead?”

The most notorious interpretation of 1 Corinthians 15:29 is the one advocated by Mormonism—that people who are alive on the Earth can be baptized, and the efficacy of that baptism then is offered to those who already have died and are in the spirit realm. But this verse cannot be teaching proxy baptism as practiced by the Mormons. Many other passages eliminate that possibility by stressing the singular necessity of responding obediently to God in this life (e.g., Proverbs 11:7; John 8:24; Luke 16:26; 2 Corinthians 5:10; Hebrews 9:27). The Mormon view is in direct contradiction to what the Bible teaches from beginning to end. We have only this life in which to make our decisions, and when we leave this life, we have no further opportunities to repent (Luke 16:25-31; Hebrews 9:27).

more................http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/1799

AnyDayNow

Context...context...context. The whole topic of 1 Corinthians 15 is in verse 12. It is the unbelief that Jesus rose from the dead by the Corinthians that Paul is dealing with here. In the verses preceding verse 12, Paul gives proof of Jesus' Resurrection. In the verses that follow, he presents some of the skewered logic that would come out of such a mistake.

The reference to baptism is that of Believers into the Body of Christ. He (and those who had died in Him) are the "dead" (in the Corinthians' minds) that Paul is referring to in verse 29. You can confirm this by looking at verse 30, where Paul continues to build on the same premise that if Jesus died and didn't rise, then WHY would Paul and others risk their lives for the Gospel?

Viewing verse 29 in any other way violates the context and creates errors...mountains out of molehiles...one of which the Mormons (as Chris just pointed out) have made a HUGE mountain out of!

(Added) For a better explanation, read Scofield's notes on verse 29.

Last edited:

sandy

Apologetics Press :: Bible Bullets

Baptism for the Dead?
by Dave Miller, Ph.D.
[Español]

“Otherwise, what will they do who are baptized for the dead, if the dead do not rise at all? Why then are they baptized for the dead?”

The most notorious interpretation of 1 Corinthians 15:29 is the one advocated by Mormonism—that people who are alive on the Earth can be baptized, and the efficacy of that baptism then is offered to those who already have died and are in the spirit realm. But this verse cannot be teaching proxy baptism as practiced by the Mormons. Many other passages eliminate that possibility by stressing the singular necessity of responding obediently to God in this life (e.g., Proverbs 11:7; John 8:24; Luke 16:26; 2 Corinthians 5:10; Hebrews 9:27). The Mormon view is in direct contradiction to what the Bible teaches from beginning to end. We have only this life in which to make our decisions, and when we leave this life, we have no further opportunities to repent (Luke 16:25-31; Hebrews 9:27).

more................http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/1799

and yet they are decieptful they give out the KJV of the bible for asking on their tv commercials.

one thing thats interesting they think that god had a wife and had kids hence us.... so what do they do with the fact the bible says
God made man from the dust of the ground.

I recommend the book called "the god makers" from dave hunt and ed decker. its very enlightening.

alrdyreg

and yet they are decieptful they give out the KJV of the bible for asking on their tv commercials.

one thing thats interesting they think that god had a wife and had kids hence us.... so what do they do with the fact the bible says
God made man from the dust of the ground.

I recommend the book called "the god makers" from dave hunt and ed decker. its very enlightening.

yes however...

the average mormon 'elder' does not support that God was once a man. we asked them the question and they said "with our study of scripture, we cannot find anything that supports that claim."

after further study, you will find out its not in there 'scripture' rather a belief from joe smith that is accepted but only known about in the high ranks of mormonism. the low level 'elders' will not acknowledge the fact that they can become gods themselves. however they do not come flat out and condemn it.

its like they are looking forward to it, but cannot prove it out of the BOM. very interesting indeed.

oh and BTW the god makers is way too deep to discuss with the 18 - 21 y/o elders. they will look at you and think you are crazy. however discuss that book with a senior mormon bishop or somthing and you will have a good debate. (ive read the godmakers.)

Back