Irrefutable Proof that Joseph Smith Was a Fraud: Why Mormonism is Not Christian

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Irrefutable Proof that Joseph Smith Was a Fraud: Why Mormonism is Not Christian
By Dr. Nathan E. Jones

One of the most prolific spiritual signs of the end times that point to the soon return of Jesus Christ involves the increasing appearance of false christs and their cults (Matthew 24:5,11,24). A cult is a counterfeit religion that practices deception to present a likeness to the original. Adherents claim to be genuine Christians while redefining biblical doctrines involving God, Jesus, and salvation to reduce their chances of detection and increase being accepted as authentic Christianity.

One of the most notorious and successful of these religious counterfeiters was Joseph Smith, Jr. (1805-1844), founder of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (LDS), better known as the Mormons. With nearly eight million followers today, the LDS Church continues to grow at an exponential rate, even some 180 years after Smith’s death.

However, the cult of Mormonism stands precariously like a house of cards, easily toppled by two simple and unarguable facts: Smith’s immoral character and his many false prophecies. To know what these are is to gain spiritual discernment and so not be duped by a false christ “masquerading as an angel of light” who was in truth a “false apostle and deceitful worker” (2 Corinthians 11:3-4,13-14).

Smith’s Immoral Character​

Many historically documented accounts of Joseph Smith’s character demonstrate a lifestyle of immorality and debauchery that lie in stark contrast to the biblical man who lives in holiness and obedience to sound biblical doctrine.

Smith’s own testimony reveals him to be a serial liar. He claimed at the tender age of 15 to have been visited by “two glorious personages surrounded with a brilliant light which eclipsed the sun at noonday,” whom he identified as “the Father and the Son.” God Himself supposedly taught young Smith to despise Christian creeds, consider denominations as abominations, and believe that the Bible had been corrupted and so in need of restoration.

Three years later, Smith next claimed that an angel named Moroni directed him to a hill called Cumorah near the village of Manchester, New York to find hidden golden plates. There he would also find the Jewish high priest’s Urim and Thummin stones, and by looking through these stones, he could translate the plates from ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics into English. Coincidentally, Smith just happened to find these artifacts right near his home.

To substantiate his discovery, Smith deviously qualified three witnesses — Oliver Cowdery, Martin Harris, and David Whitmer — as those who could testify to the existence of the plates while Smith kept them out of sight from the world during his time translating. Nobody but these four could have viewed the plates, for Smith revealed that the angel Moroni had conveniently returned and delivered them back up to Heaven before anyone else could have a look. These witnesses’ wretched moral character makes their testimonies completely dismissible. Both Whitmer and Cowdery were later charged by their fellow Mormons as thieves and counterfeiters, and Harris eventually admitted that he never had really laid eyes on the plates, but instead gazed upon them through his “eyes of faith.”

What Smith claimed to have translated were the written words of a man named Mormon who had been a descendant of a Jewish exilic pilgrim to the New World named Lehi. Once Smith had finished “translating” the golden plates into the Book of Mormon, he then revealed that John the Baptist had appeared to him to ordain him into the Aaronic priesthood. Now commissioned, Smith launched his new religion — Mormonism — on April 6, 1830, and quickly began amassing followers from people who had become disenfranchised by traditional Christianity.

When it came to leading his new followers, Smith behaved more like a gang leader than a shepherd of God. Anyone who spoke out against Smith’s false teachings was attacked with a vengeance. In one historic account, Smith hired two Mormons to kill a man who had been outspoken against his teachings. In another historic account, Smith claimed he had a vision from God that told him that “the redemption of Zion must come by power,” and so amassed an army of 200 Mormons to march on Independence, Missouri, where he was summarily routed. Smith’s army, called the Danites, was described as “a band of murderers whose vile misdeeds were later written in blood on the blackest pages of the history of Mormonism.” Because of their treasonous actions, Missouri Governor Lilburn W. Boggs ordered General Clark to treat the Mormons as enemies who “must be exterminated or driven from the state, if necessary, for the public good” for “their outrages are beyond description.” Porter Rockwell, chief of the Danites, was described as “a powerful man physically, with a mind of narrow perceptions, intense convictions, and utterly depraved motives,” who had been charged with close to one-hundred cold-blooded murders.

Polygamy and pedophilia also demonstrated Smith’s contempt for God’s moral law, especially Genesis 2:24 which defines marriage as being between one man and one woman for life. Smith claimed divine revelation to justify his acts of polygamy, having amassed a collection of some 33 known wives, some as young as 14 years old. This lurid behavior led the townsfolk of Kirtland, Ohio to tar and feather Joseph Smith and his friend, Sidney Rigdon. Polygamy so defined early Mormonism that Smith’s successor, Brigham Young, even went as far as blasphemously claiming Jesus Christ was a polygamist who had been married to Mary and Martha, the sisters of Lazarus, as well as to Mary Magdalene.

Wherever Smith and his followers went they sowed discord and violence, even among themselves, eventually causing the Mormons to be forced out of Ohio, then Missouri, settling in Illinois, before later finally being pushed west into Utah. While in Illinois, Smith ordered his followers to burn down the Nauvoo Expositor newspaper for publishing the horrors of Mormon rule and practice. This act of arson led to Joseph Smith’s arrest. An angry mob stormed the jail where he was being held and shot Smith and his brother Hyrum. For supposedly being a divinely appointed prophet of God, Smith died like the criminal he was on June 27, 1844.

For all of his supposedly divine proclamations, Smith proved to be a lying, thieving, violent, sexually immoral miscreant who clearly did not live a life as the Apostle Paul preached, “worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God” (Colossians 1:10).

Smith’s Many False Prophecies​

The LDS Church made the following admission concerning their founder’s personal claim of being a divinely appointed prophet of God:

“By nearly three million persons in many lands, Joseph Smith is today held in remembrance as a Prophet of God. The virtues and achievements of his followers stand as a monument to his divine calling. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has its foundation in the revelations he received, the sacred truths he taught, and the authority of the priesthood restored through him.”

Within this foundational LDS statement lies Mormonism’s “Achilles’ heel” in that the authority of the Mormon priesthood and the validity of their doctrines rest entirely on Joseph Smith’s claim to be an inspired prophet of God. That means that should Smith have ever pronounced any prophecy that turned out to be false, he would end up violating Moses’ litmus test of 100% accuracy in determining whether a message had been truly spoken by the Lord or not (Deuteronomy 18:21-22). Mormonism’s own Articles of Faith admits to as much stating, “If his [Smith’s] claims to divine appointment be false, forming as they do the foundation of the Church… the superstructure cannot be stable.” Cold Case Christianity author J. Warner Wallace proves the superstructure to indeed be very unstable by providing just a few of the many false prophecies made by Joseph Smith which prove that he had indeed failed Moses’ test:

1. Joseph Smith made open-dated prophecies, such as when he predicted in 1835 that, “The coming of the Lord, which was nigh — even fifty-six years should wind up the scene” (History of the Church, Vol. 2, 182).

2. He made several self-fulfilling prophecies, such as when he claimed the Lord instructed him not to translate any more until he had arrived in Ohio. (D&C 37:1).

3. Smith made conditional prophecies, such as when he stated that if the people of Ohio repented they would not be severely judged by the Lord (D&C 40:16-18).

4. Smith even went as far as to make close-dated, unconditional prophecies, such as when in 1832 he prophesied that an LDS temple would be built in Independence, Missouri within his generation. Almost 200 years later, no temple has ever been built, especially during Smith’s generation, forcing the LDS leadership to admit this prophecy never came true. (D&C Section 84).

5. Smith also made several fanciful prophecies, such as when in 1837 he proclaimed that the Lord had told him that the moon was inhabited by men and women who looked like the people of the earth, that they lived up to a thousand years old, stood nearly six feet tall, and dressed uniformly like Quakers (The Oliver B. Huntington Journal, 1881).

Conclusion​

It takes little effort to prove that Joseph Smith’s claim to being a divinely called prophet of God was fraudulent. First, Smith’s own ungodly and immoral character would cause even the most ardent hedonist to blush. Second, his failed prophecies fall well short of Moses’ test in determining a false prophet.

Many more pieces of evidence could be presented that discredit Mormonism. For example, Smith obviously plagiarized the Book of Mormon from other sources such as the Bible as well as a novel written earlier by a minister named Solomon Spaulding. Some 3,000 “revisions” were made to Joseph Smith’s writings by the LDS church over the subsequent decades. The many historic and linguistic claims Smith made were in time proven to be utterly fictitious, if not ludicrous. The evidences go on and on. Such plentiful arguments should cause Mormons to express serious doubts as to the legitimacy of their false religion and so stop them from walking blindly down the steps leading away from God.

As Evangelical Christians, we must reach out to Mormons in love while armed with the sword of the Word and these facts which prove Joseph Smith was a fraud. In doing so, we confirm that Mormonism cannot be a valid expression of Christianity but rather remains as another wide road that lures lost souls to eternal separation from God in a place of torment.

https://www.raptureforums.com/cults...h-was-a-fraud-why-mormonism-is-not-christian/

Xenosjeff

Mormons live in a well ordered and purely American theme park echo chamber. Cookies, popcorn and playing tag in the yard with your 15 cousins. Great environment to grow up in. The problem is not so much proving that Joe-dog Smith was a phoney. The problem comes from convincing someone to leave the theme park and go unto the gentiles. It's too politically difficult.
When they do leave, it's normal for them to get shunned. Hard to face that prospect when you're family is tight.

Cognitive dissonance at work. They just end up having faith in faith. Hoping it can be true and dreading that it isn't. Stay busy, work out your salvation after all you can do.

Sad, they really are beautiful people for the most part. Growing up in Southern Idaho means you get a big dose of LDS exposure. I've seen a lot of Mormons live out their lives in futility and never admit it.

Jeff

paul289

The problem comes from convincing someone to leave the theme park and go unto the gentiles. It's too politically difficult.
This is why it's so important for us to tell the truth in love. If they are actually willing to believe the Truth, they need to know that there's a community to fall into that they can trust. If their own community might reject them, then they need to not have a reason to fear that they will be cast aside. To do that, though it might be tempting, we can't preach at them and try to prove them wrong, but instead build relationships and show them the love of God while proving that the Jesus of the Bible is true. While they will see their error and be proved wrong, showing them to be wrong shouldn't be the point. God will do that. Our job is to show them the truth of Jesus. They believe the Bible is corrupted, so we need to be able to sit down with them and have Bible studies to show the validity of the Scriptures that show who Jesus is.

Always remember, Jesus is the center. Focus on him. Know him. Show him.

Andy C

I rarely take the time to engage with those who knock on my door such as mormons or JW. However, I have a few times, and one was with a Mormon. He kept trying to push the book of Mormon on me, and I told him I knew enough about his “religion“ that I dont need to read the false claims in his book. His counter “Some say they dont like chocolate cake, but when they eat it they love it”. I countered with his book being like choc cake, it may taste good, but its bad for you”. I tried to keep a straight face and be respectful for the next few moments, but it was hard. He could not properly respond to the scriptures I quoted.

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...
I believe someone had an article about Smiths "translation" of a papyri of Egyptian hieroglyphics.

Supposedly the papyri is in the possession of the LDS.
As it has original notes from Smith, it is proof of his charlatan conduct for he translated before the Rosetta stone had been used to accurately translate the papyri.

Jaybird

I believe someone had an article about Smiths "translation" of a papyri of Egyptian hieroglyphics.

Supposedly the papyri is in the possession of the LDS.
As it has original notes from Smith, it is proof of his charlatan conduct for he translated before the Rosetta stone had been used to accurately translate the papyri.
This is true. The Mormon book of Abraham was supposedly translated from papyri that Joseph Smith found in a mummy. (I don't recall if he had purchased the mummy). A few pages of the papyri that Smith used for the translation were found and handed over to the LDS church in the late 1970's. Keep in mind that they didn't have the entire papyri - just a few pages, but you can clearly see notes in Smith's handwriting and illustrations on the papyri that were clearly transferred to the book of Abraham. In Smith's own diaries he claimed to have translated all of these papyri. As you mention this was done BEFORE Egyptian hieroglyphics were decoded. The LDS Church had three Egyptian hieroglyphic experts translate the papyri (including a Mormon expert) and they all agreed that the papyri were basically something like a book of "prayers" the Egyptians placed in the sarcophagus with the mummy. They were definitely not what Smith had purported to translate. How did the LDS Church explain this away? They said that since we do not have ALL of the papyri we can't know for sure that the other pages were incorrectly translated. Huh? Let me understand this - you have one or two pages that are obvious frauds, but it doesn't prove fraud because we don't have the entire manuscript. Believe what you want.

paul289

A Mormon I was a brief acquaintance with posted on Facebook evidence of the Israelite exodus (no, not THAT Exodus) to the New World, showing paleo-Hebrew inscriptions in I think Saudi Arabia and the Sinai Peninsula, but obviously, that is evidence for the ACTUAL Exodus (Yes, THAT Exodus), that the Israelites left behind on their trip out of Egypt. Meanwhile, the one place where there SHOULD be evidence of their presence to prove Mormonism right, the New World, there is none. Not a single shred.

Wally

Now if they found an original Cherokee recipe for Tam Tams, and Matzos, they might be onto something....

watching4him

When my girls were little, we invited Mormon neighbors to the fall festive at our church. The father followed me & girls to the church. Their oldest little boy was with the father since the youngest was sick & at home with their mother. A couple of days later, the parents invited my girls to their "church" The whole time I was in the "church" I was very uncomfortable & their decorations were very macabre. I remember one of the decorations was a bloody skull with a knife through it. I told my girls that we needed to get home since they had school the next day. I told my husband that I had never felt so uncomfortable in my life. I told him thank God I wasn't raised in the Mormon "church"! My biological father was a Mormon & died when I was an infant & I know that my mom who was raised in a traditional Christain church would have gone along with joining the Mormon church. Sadly, she believed that they are also Christians, but all the research I have ever done has pointed out that they are a cult as pointed out in the article. I know of a young woman raised in a traditional Christain home who has bought into their beliefs & attends a Mormon "church" with her four children & husband. When I asked her one time why she attended their "church." She told me that they needed help moving & that they were the only ones to help since they were at their apartment building & said they would help move them. I told her that if she had given people a week or two ahead of time that she could have possibly had the help they needed.

Last edited:

paul289

I remember one of the decorations was a bloody skull with a knife through it.
Sounds like some Masonic imagery, which makes sense since much of Mormonism's ritual process is cribbed straight from Freemasonry, including the magical underwear, which is modelled after the Freemason's apron. And in the highest levels of both, it is revealed that Lucifer is actually their "good" guy.

Hsmommy

I can't believe anyone goes for that "magic underwear" stuff of the Mormons. :doh :lol
I went to a physiotherapist who I found out wore magic underwear. That explains the uncomfortable feeling I had in his office. I never returned.

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
Wow, I had no idea they wore a special underwear to "remind them of their promises to god" and the adult mormons need to wear this underwear to gain access to the temple. Also, funny how all of the reminders are literally masonic symbols on the garment because their founder, 'apostle' Joseph Smith was a known Freemason :doh

Wally

Mormonism copies much of freemasonry. Perhaps the underware is based in the apron worn by degree members?

Back