Mennonite Church USA Adopts BDS with 98% Vote

maryrae

Yes, there are many different "flavours" of Mennonite. In our region of Ontario there are at least three or four...and likely more. There are Amish (who allow modern farming practices on their land by "English" renters of the land), who do have cell phones, but maybe out of sight of the bishop; Old Order who will not have any modern machinery on their land at all; Markham Mennonite who have some modern conveniences, including tractors and vehicles; Conservative Mennonites who are slightly more modern (coloured vehicles, slightly different clothing) Then there are those who we call "horse & buggy" Mennonites who have modern conveniences, but still drive horse and buggy; some Mennonites whose ladies wear black strings on their head coverings; some with white strings; some who just have the strins in a loop at the back of the neck instead of under the chin;some who have no strings on their head coverings; some Mennonite men wear ties, but drive horse & buggy; and then you have Mennonites who you cannot distinguish from anyone else in our world-"Modern" Mennonites.
Yepp, legalism & works are rampant in this denomination.

Jan51

Yes, there are many different "flavours" of Mennonite. In our region of Ontario there are at least three or four...and likely more. There are Amish (who allow modern farming practices on their land by "English" renters of the land), who do have cell phones, but maybe out of sight of the bishop; Old Order who will not have any modern machinery on their land at all; Markham Mennonite who have some modern conveniences, including tractors and vehicles; Conservative Mennonites who are slightly more modern (coloured vehicles, slightly different clothing) Then there are those who we call "horse & buggy" Mennonites who have modern conveniences, but still drive horse and buggy; some Mennonites whose ladies wear black strings on their head coverings; some with white strings; some who just have the strins in a loop at the back of the neck instead of under the chin;some who have no strings on their head coverings; some Mennonite men wear ties, but drive horse & buggy; and then you have Mennonites who you cannot distinguish from anyone else in our world-"Modern" Mennonites.
Yepp, legalism & works are rampant in this denomination.
Here is an article that gives a pretty good overview of the many many flavors of Mennonite.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mennonite

I am 100% purebred Mennonite Brethren by birth; both my parents' families came over from the Russian Mennonite colonies in the late 1800s. I went to Fresno Pacific University many years ago, a Mennonite Brethren college. I don't go to a Mennonite church, nor would I if there was one around.

When we were first married, for a short time we went to a Mennonite church in SoCal: old Mennonite (not Old Order Mennonite)--modern but some ladies wore head coverings. They shared a building with a General Conference Mennonite congregation. They couldn't join churches because one used musical instruments with the singing and the other sang a cappella. (I believe these are the two denominations which have since combined to become the Mennonite Church USA.) They were not much on the Bible--we asked permission to start a Sunday School class, which my husband taught, which was purely a Bible study, for the small group of misfits like us that were into the Bible. A couple years later we moved and that was the end of that.

Amethyst

Angie ... †
Here is an article that gives a pretty good overview of the many many flavors of Mennonite.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mennonite

I am 100% purebred Mennonite Brethren by birth; both my parents' families came over from the Russian Mennonite colonies in the late 1800s. I went to Fresno Pacific University many years ago, a Mennonite Brethren college. I don't go to a Mennonite church, nor would I if there was one around.

When we were first married, for a short time we went to a Mennonite church in SoCal: old Mennonite (not Old Order Mennonite)--modern but some ladies wore head coverings. They shared a building with a General Conference Mennonite congregation. They couldn't join churches because one used musical instruments with the singing and the other sang a cappella. (I believe these are the two denominations which have since combined to become the Mennonite Church USA.) They were not much on the Bible--we asked permission to start a Sunday School class, which my husband taught, which was purely a Bible study, for the small group of misfits like us that were into the Bible. A couple years later we moved and that was the end of that.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread
But @Jan51 of you don’t mind explaining, growing up the way you did , did you believe in grace through faith alone or something else
And what caused you to leave all that behind, or have you?

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I had some Mennonite friends in Alaska. They were extremely liberal which I had a hard time comprehending given their historical lifestyles. Their son was a friend of one of my kids. Their son was groomed into a radical liberal activist. He started receiving rewards and recognition for his activist activities. Must be pretty heady for a young person to get that kind of attention. That must be how the Greta thunbergs of the world are created.

Jan51

Sorry to resurrect an old thread
But @Jan51 of you don’t mind explaining, growing up the way you did , did you believe in grace through faith alone or something else
And what caused you to leave all that behind, or have you?
I actually did not grow up going to a Mennonite Brethren church because when my parents got married and moved away, there wasn't one in their town so they found a very solid biblical Conservative Baptist church. I am so blessed to have grown up in that church. Going to an MB college caused me to later distance myself even farther from my MB heritage--they are more about being Mennonites than about the Bible. My parents had hoped I would meet and marry a good MB young man, but thankfully I didn't. The only reason my husband and I went to a Mennonite church briefly when we were first married was because there was a college friend in the town we had moved to who invited us; they were very friendly there, which helped make our short stay in the LA area more tolerable. After that, we always found good Bible churches.

Back