The AI-powered humanoid robot revolution is much closer than you think

Jan51

(video, graphics and ads removed)

The AI-powered humanoid robot revolution is much closer than you think

Mar 22, 2023 · NottheBee.com

It really was not very many years ago that fully functional, humanoid, technologically adept robots were the stuff of total science fiction.

Now the technology is so closely within reach that we're talking multiple revolutions in a matter of years, not decades.

A startup is building a prototype of a humanoid robot that the company says will eventually be able to walk, climb stairs, open doors, use tools and lift boxes — perhaps even make dinner.

Humanoid robots are coming

A startup called Figure is building a human-sized robot, initially for warehouse work.

Human-shaped robots with dexterous hands will be staffing warehouses and retail stores, tending to the elderly and performing household chores within a decade or so, according to a Silicon Valley startup working toward that vision. ...

Demographic trends — such as a persistent labor shortage and the growing elder care crisis — make fully-functioning, AI-driven humanoid robots look tantalizingly appealing.

Look, to be blunt: It's not like this is unalloyed good news. Yes, we have a "persistent labor shortage." I'm not so sure the solution is to replace human laborers with robots. But maybe it is?

And sure, there are issues with ensuring that America's aging population has enough care as the older generations continue to get older and older. But the idea of putting a bunch of robots in charge of caring for our elders — replacing precious human contact with that of artificial intelligence — well, I'm not so sure I like that.

Still. The robots are coming:

A heavy-hitting startup called Figure, which just emerged from stealth mode, is building a prototype of a humanoid robot that the company says will eventually be able to walk, climb stairs, open doors, use tools and lift boxes — perhaps even make dinner.

According to Figure:

Robots that can think, learn, reason, and interact with their environments will eventually be capable of performing tasks better than humans.

They're not being shy about it:

Check out the company's "Master Plan," or just read the tl:dr version:
"Conclusion
Here is the first phase of our master plan:
1. Build a feature-complete electromechanical humanoid.
2. Perform human-like manipulation.
3. Integrate humanoids into the labor force."

Buckle up. Or have your robot helper buckle you up. Either way, get ready for big change.

https://notthebee.com/article/the-h...9BfvUkNEPLwB_NUw-DEsfFqpQBl0gFpNM1Yl3ihVIFYUs

Xenosjeff

What this would mean is people could stay in their homes. The nursing home industry will see this as the end of their business plan.

As long as the technology works, it's a good option. Nursing homes are not for everyone.

I want the garage buddy version. You just got under the car and saw thst you forgot a tool. Hey robot!

Jeff

Back