Asbury "Revival"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_97

And I know with absolute certainty that even if it is not of God, He is in control and that His truth and good purposes will not fail. But I remain cautious for now regarding the intentions and beliefs of some of those who are endorsing and promoting. And when the school prez talks about books being written about the college and its people and its spiritual accomplishments, then I question motives. Do they wish to serve God and bring Him glory? Or do they wish to serve egos? Like I said, I've seen a lot, and I'm a cynic for it. I'm grateful for you @Dave_97 and others here who are optimistic and more hopeful about this. You keep me balanced and you keep me from automatically assuming the worst. But my caution will remain for a time as I believe caution to be necessary.
I appreciate you and everyone who is cautious. We all should be, it’s why I remain in the middle as I’ve mentioned.

Nobody should feel bad for asking questions, it’s what scripture commands us to do. To be Bereans, and test every spirit. Matter fact one of the biggest warnings concerning the last days is false teachers and doctrines of demons will arise. As the Lord continues to work till the last hour, we also know the enemy will increase his deception. We just have to make sure we “test every spirit” with the right attitude (which most of us here including you have been doing).

While doing that it’s important to also put into consideration things like this might not look perfect, but Jesus will respond to whoever will genuinely call on his name for salvation. However, there might be even be false converts as well, so my concern is as Christians we might judge too prematurely and by trying to pull the “weeds” we will uproot the “wheats” as well.

Jan51

Asbury “Revival”—Letter to the Editor Raises Concerns About Possible Pre-Planned Exploits​

February 21, 2023 by Lighthouse Trails Editors

LTRP Note: The following letter to the editor from a Lighthouse Trails reader raises valid concerns about circumstances surrounding the Asbury “revival.” While Asbury University personnel and numerous secular and religious media outlets say that the “revival” is “pure, unplanned, organic,” and unexpected, it turns out an NAR/IHOP*-connected group had been planning a revival event at Asbury days before it even began. Lighthouse Trails does not question the sincerity of those at the Asbury gathering who may be truly committing or re-committing their lives to the Lord in humility, repentance, and reverence but is concerned about harmful exploits that can potentially hurt many while calling something a move of God that in reality may be a pre-planned event which could become part of a false revival.

Important Note: It must be noted here as well that Asbury University and other colleges that have begun similar “revival” meetings (because of the Asbury event) are on the Lighthouse Trails contemplative prayer/Spiritual Formation College list, which presents serious concerns in and of itself. If true God-led revival is indeed taking place, the mystical spirituality that these schools have been embracing and transforming students with cannot be ignored any longer. From our point of view, it will not be true revival unless it is dealt with because such a New Age spirituality leads people away from the Gospel and God’s Word and brings them into the audience of “seducing spirits” (which can lead to beliefs such as atheism, humanism, and wokeism).

LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Dear Lighthouse Trails:
I have been keeping an eye on the Asbury “revival” (which began on February 8th) since an article appeared in the American Thinker last Tuesday (2/14).1 The title referred to a “hopeful phenomenon,” then focused on a college paper reporter’s account of the Asbury “revival” being unexpected, even though the school was “no stranger to revivals“ according to the article. Please pardon the length of what follows, but it seems a time-sensitive issue with many questions and flags being raised.
The same article then quoted from articles from CBN and local NBC affiliate WLEX, the latter with a headline that “‘God is transforming lives: Revival continues at Asbury University.”2 One initial thought was since when does a modern NBC affiliate in a large city/college town like Lexington run headlines like that?

There seemed to be a sense that this might be used just like the “Toronto blessing” as something that started small but set off a movement etc. Even the University president commented that books are likely to be written about this while discussing university plans related to commissioning and sending out those there to share their experiences, all of which warranted a closer look.3

Further checking showed that the Collegiate Day of Prayer organization (a group involved with NAR/ IHOP names such as Lou Engle of The Call and which evidently wrote over and over about connecting that collegiate day of prayer event with “revival“ and “spiritual awakening“4) just happened to release a video on February 1st (days before the Asbury “revival” began) announcing that this year’s revival event would take place at Asbury University with speakers such as [NAR-influenced] Francis Chan and [ecumenical “Global Peace” leader] Rick Warren in the very building where “revival” was reported to be occurring!5 One Assemblies of God-related publication from January 25th of this year concerning that event actually had the headline “A Great Collegiate Awakening—It’s Coming.”6

The Collegiate Day of Prayer promotional video (said to have “premiered February 1”) had the following description:

“Let’s ADOPT and saturate EVERY CAMPUS in America in prayer (go to https://web.archive.org/web/20230215010849/http://collegiatedayofprayer.org to adopt a campus) and join us LIVE from Asbury University on Feb 23rd at 8-10pm ET with special guests Rick Warren, Francis Chan, Allen Hood and worship leaders from International House of Prayer (IHOP), Circuit Riders + Black Voices Movement, and Met By Love Worship. Let’s believe God for REVIVAL amongst believers on college campuses and SPIRITUAL AWAKENING amongst the lost. Father, revive the saved and save the lost!!”7

If this isn’t remarkable enough, the video itself actually starts with someone saying: “Fifty years ago, something extraordinary happened on one college campus,” then shows footage watermarked with WLEX and what appears to be the same facility—Hughes Auditorium. After words from Francis Chan, a narrator concludes: “Join us on February 23, live from Asbury University. Lord, do it again.”

None of the initial reporting or principals I recall seeing were mentioning that convergence of events even in passing, often seeming to promote a narrative that appeared to contend that “no one had any idea, no one started this, God’s moving,” and so forth. To wit, an Asbury journalism professor contended in Sunday’s college paper that “Whatever this is or has become, let’s remember that it began with a small group of students who lingered after chapel. This is pure, unplanned, organic. No big-name speakers or musicians, no pyrotechnics, no outreach. This is not a performance.”8

Despite the massive national and international media coverage, few have seemed to have put together that a historically revival-focused school that has claimed to have had others before and a large one 53 years ago—in the very place that this one is reported to have started—just happens to be hosting in that same space a collegiate day of prayer on February 23rd. Even if someone were to allow for the possibility that man’s fingerprints weren’t on this seemingly remarkable alignment of events, how would that explain the lack of sufficiently connecting those dots in so much media coverage or in the comments from the principals involved, including school officials?
Continuing the remarkable sequence of events, the “revival“ term was used in a headline by an Asbury University college newspaper reporter, with a story that was published the same day as the initial chapel service: Wednesday, February 8th.9 The reporter was listed as having interned last summer for the same aforementioned Lexington NBC TV affiliate. Interestingly, WLEX apparently made no reference to that in what appeared to be their initial story and broadcast covering this.

In none of her coverage that I saw, nor in the initial local NBC news and CBN reports that I saw, is it brought up even as a matter of course that the Collegiate Day of Prayer event was to be held in the same auditorium on February 23rd, complete with high profile figures involved. Wouldn’t that dot likely have been connected by somebody, even just as an information point? Isn’t it legitimate in the absence of clarity and the persistence of some casting this as “pure, unplanned, organic” to raise questions about the nature of the way the story has unfolded? Wouldn’t that especially be the case if there are some innocent or unaware, such as the young collegians and even some reporters, who were sold the ideas of “revival” / “awakening” as something to be pursued, and then chased after it—perhaps at the subtle prodding of figures who might’ve benefited from the timing?

As a capper, this past weekend, the school president just happened to essentially announce the end of the use of the auditorium for the “revival,“ notably with a timeframe that had as the last focused event there none other than the Collegiate Day of Prayer event, then closing Hughes Auditorium at midnight. As the 1970 event left the auditorium open, one might wonder how this works as far as an arguably building-focused “revival“ as far as man proactively scheduling the end there—again, immediately after holding the featured Collegiate Day of Prayer event that had been scheduled well in advance. Also, what he wrote concerning sending out people from this to share about their experiences just happened to tie back into much of what was talked about by the event planners in many of their publications.10

Given the college president’s speculation concerning books being written about this event, isn’t it legitimate to observe that this event just might happen to raise the profiles and prospects of Asbury University, the Collegiate Prayer Day event and affiliated planners, Rick Warren, Francis Chan, college reporters, those who first reported on this such as WLEX and CBN, and others involved? That last part in it of itself appears to call for a closer look.

Moreover, it seems time to take a look at “revival” as whole, especially as going by what has gone on in some reports and social media, people can arguably call just about anything they want “revival,” while potentially pillorying and dismissing anyone who dares to apply any level of examination to it. Yet, many might sit by placidly when well-compensated bureaucrats in purportedly Christian bureaucracies and constructs not only appear to have the opportunity to use the event as a springboard for their own plans, but to wrap things up in a time convenient to their logistical priorities. This is notwithstanding the claim that God was “moving” and dictating where and when that was occurring—which in this case just happened to be where a planned event for which many have wanted to get national attention was scheduled to occur mere days later.

Sincerely, Bob, a long-time Lighthouse Trails reader

https://www.lighthousetrailsresearch.com/blog/?p=35804

Jan51

From Exhort and Contend:

So far I have seen the following false teachers promote the Asbury “revival” in posts and tweets:

Lance Wallnau, Sean Feucht, Kari Jobe, Todd Bentley, Greg Locke, and Daniel Kolenda.

And, now we have the tweet below, published on Feb. 20, 2023, by Jonathan Roumie, Catholic “star” of the ecumenism-promoting Chosen series throwing his support behind it as well.

People can think this is a true revival if they want, but I will continue to pray that eyes will be opened…

Andy C

This thread as been presented with many different views, but its like were going around in circles now. There is no way we can truly know what, if any benefits were gained from Asbury. If it was Holy Spirit inspired, and led to others coming in and hearing the gospel, great!

IMO, its time for this thread to be closed.

Jan51

I am not sure why so many feel the need to take a "position" on what is happening, and then to argue "positions." I see it as something in the news that is interesting and relevant to Christians, and something to watch with our eyes wide open.

One thing I have observed is no reports of anyone referencing great preaching of the Word. The Bible does not seem to be the focus of this event, rather, people reference the wonderful spirit, the experience.

Last edited:

MapleLeaf

I'm a hardcore cynic so I think these emotional revival meetings start to fuel themselves. I don't see what nonstop meeting and crying and singing and whatnot really contributes. It gets on the news so onlookers come to take a look and get swept up in it all and it makes the news again so other curious lookee-loos come and it just, I don't know. I know real conversions happen at places like this so hooray! But the non-stoppiness and the loudness and news coverage isn't what really impresses me. The proof in the pudding will be the changed lives once everyone goes home. I want to let people enjoy their moment and it means something to them so that's fine. And if it means more remnant believers than all the better. But I'm OK not going to those.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I thought it wasn’t streaming anymore? I see people from Spanish-speaking countries supposedly streaming it live on YouTube.

I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, I see testimonies on Facebook from it but then, I saw a story on YouTube I think (?) that said, money fell from the balcony. I want so much for this to be genuine, but with stories like that, it’s hard.
Todd Bentley's name being thrown out was a big red flag for me. :sad

soundingthealarm

I have heard it said that If the Burning Bush occurred during this modern era, there would be Burning Bush conferences all over America.

I fear this is going to turn into an ongoing "here's a revival, there's a revival" like the Catholic Mother Mary visitation/sightings. Being the Lord never leaves us nor forsakes us 24/7 365 and He beckons us to "come to Me" .....I'm taking heed and letting no man deceive

TBN, God TV and the like are desperate to promote the next thing and this will be capitalized on in our face with reports JUST like when the Toronto Blessing started several copy cat events else where

GREAT NEWS is we are believers and He has awakened us to the time at hand and told us to go into all the world and preach the Gospel and THAT is the call and I trust Our Lord/Shepherd when He said He will not lose one who are His and that those who are His, know His voice!!!

Merah

I don’t believe this is a revival in the true sense of a revival. That fearfully may no longer be possible. I believe it is a new thing. So much is going on in our world today. Things that are totally godless. I believe that good things can come out of even things like the Chosen. God will start from wherever we are. He doesn’t want to lose any of us. We all start from somewhere. We are not born believing. So if mustard seeds have been planted in some one person, I pray that it will become a great tree. I don’t care what wrong teacher has tried to get it started. God is in control. And I wouldn’t be surprised if he allows things such as this to bring people to him before he calls us up.

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...
Fortunately, God knows those who are His.

Although not a warm fuzzy, we do have confidence in God's power:

Mark 9:40
For whoever is not against us is for us.

Should the rapture happen later today, many have not had much time at crown building and doctrine purification.

If they hear only that they need Jesus, and seek and find Him for salvation, it is precious enough.

Merah

Might we balance that question by adding, while at the same time, thousands are drawn into deception or false conversions and drawn away from the Bible?
If someone can be drawn away by song and praise then I’d wonder if their salvation was for real. We all just need to be in prayer.

JSTyler

I'm kind of curious about how we define what a 'revival' actually is. It seems to be somewhat all over the place in this thread. I don't have the impression that any of us really disagree much about the cautionary nature that this 'news' should be approached with or that there's much disparity on how we look at the exciting possibilities, IF this is a true revival.

I reiterate, what exactly is a revival and how would we define it? Is it even possible for a group like us, here at RF to even come to consensus about it? And would a revival today necessarily look like a revival from the past?

Andy Woods like to state that, "God is a God of diversity." (or something along those lines). I agree with that and I wonder if maybe the analogue for what constitutes revival is either static by historical definition or rather something that's dynamic in nature, adaptive to the times and people. I lean towards a dynamic definition as long as it's Christ focused and Bible-centric.

I can't fathom any current day 'revival' equaling anything like what I've read from historic accounts. I'm thinking along the lines of Jonathan Edwards and the awakening stemming from his sermon, "Sinners in the hands of an angry God", and how it swept much of society and had major social impacts and effects. I don't believe for a second that anyone is going to make america great again. I truly believe that we are circling the drain and deservedly so. I hope I'm wrong and will happily eat the crow (lots of BBQ sauce) if time and circumstance prove me wrong.

So, maybe revival in our current days that so much resemble what we know of the days of Lot and Noah is something different? Maybe it's something about lives being won for eternity more than society being changed for posterity?

I dunno, help me muddle through this, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back