Asbury "Revival"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andiamo

"Let's go!"
The India Ghost Dances occurred when Indians were fully losing their way of life. They were losing all hope, then created hope through the spiritual Ghost Dances, which ultimately was supposed to send the White Man packing and restore to the Indians their way of life.

The way of life of those in the USA is being threatened big time. We can see things slipping away and we can see the proverbial writing on the wall. It wouldn't be surprising to see, especially young Americans, look for a faux spiritual solution to all that ails us at this apparently very late hour.

Not intending to judge what's been happening in Asbury recently, I like to be optimistic about such things, but the explanation above is why it led me to think of the Indian ghost dances.
That is sad. And I think there are a lot of people who are pinning their hopes on this, that it is real and will sweep the nation and save us all.
I’m thinking if the kids are being drawn into prayer, well that’s a good thing. I think everyone should just leave them alone. Let them seek the Lord and we all should not try to analyze it. But we are, one because we are all gun-shy about revivals, for very good reasons. But also, we all hope a little, or wish. :(
***By “we” I mean the church at large

Momma D

@Matt 6:33
I'm not sure, but the description of this as an attraction seems odd. If people are hungry for God to move, it may very well be vital to many hearts.
I saw Tucker Carlson cover this last week, and there was a hunger in him to check it out. After the show concluded he said he couldn't get it out of his thoughts. He asked if he could cover it the next day, and was told that as much as they liked him and his show, they didn't want anything to interfere with the move of God. He was thankful for the rejection...he understood what they meant.

bigmoose

A child of the King
An observation that I read today:
"The 2020 plandemic, great reset attempt and the unveiling of their wicked plans has ended up setting the table for God to do something magnificent in our generation.
You hear testimony after testimony of people saying that since 2020 they've had difficult trials that have caused them to hunger for God like never before. The stage has been set for revivals to break out in not just one city, but all around America and the world.
What the enemy meant for evil will boomerang back against him and bring about a harvest of good for many to wake up and be touched by God like never before!"

My wife and I have been praying for revival for years. We pray for our people to have a hunger for the Will and the Ways of the Creator and Sustainer, Our God. We are continuing to pray for revival to spread and encompass our land. For our ONLY hope is in God. No man is righteous, not one. satan will pervert all, unless God is over ruling it. Therefore we pray for the students, we pray for the city, we pray for more to search His Will and His Ways! If there are things in error, that He will change the course to righteousness.

alisani

Interesting….

What do they mean recently when they said they decided to “stop the revival”?
Supposedly, the increased campus traffic, noise, etc is distracting student studies, which makes sense. But they are also going dark in terms of broadcasting and streaming and have brought in security to make sure visitors don't do so either. Why the sudden secrecy? They say it's to maintain the sanctity of the event. I'm a cynic and don't really buy that. They are trying to provide a more structured service, limiting people to certain times, number of attendees, etc. That makes sense. And it seems they are separating times for those 25 and under only, which also makes sense to me as you don't want to compromise the safety of students or younger folks attending.

I pray for safety of all: spiritually, physically and emotionally. There will be wolves, whether this is legitimate revival or not.

Dave_97

But they are also going dark in terms of broadcasting and streaming and have brought in security to make sure visitors don't do so either. Why the sudden secrecy? They say it's to maintain the sanctity of the event.
The way I think of it, the broadcasting is what is making it go viral. Obviously those students who attend the service become aware the whole nation is now looking at them. It almost puts pressure on those children, and now you start to battle your flesh to keep the service going because people looking live are expecting and hoping it’s a revival, rather than just let the Holy Spirit do His work.

Usually when worship and prayer is done in a very public setting, it can easily turn to performance. It’s why Jesus commanded to go to a your room, shut the door and pray to your father who is in secret.

alisani

The way I think of it, the broadcasting is what is making it go viral. Obviously those students who attend the service become aware the whole nation is now looking at them. It almost puts pressure on those children, and now you start to battle your flesh to keep the service going because people looking live are expecting and hoping it’s a revival, rather than just let the Holy Spirit do His work.

Usually when worship and prayer is done in a very public setting, it can easily turn to performance. It’s why Jesus commanded to go to a your room, shut the door and pray to your father who is in secret.
I agree. But this is revival and they absolutely courted press and social media for weeks about it. They wanted it to go viral. What changed?

Last edited:

Dave_97

I agree. But this is revival and they absolutely courted press and social media for weeks about it. They wanted it to go viral. What changed?
Maybe I’m missing something on all of this lol, but did they want it to go viral though? Or were people just recording? Also even if Asbury chapel itself was recording live, doesn’t necessarily mean the plan was to “make it go viral.” Many churches broadcast their services live so those who missed can watch from home. My church does the same thing every Sunday. If a service in our church ever went viral because people decided to share the live broadcast we would be surprised when a lot of people come running into our church as well.

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
According to some articles I read, McCartney stated that none of the four Beatles believed in God, later claiming they were all agnostics. Then in another article it stated that when Harrison died in 2001, there were images of Hindu gods Rama and Krishna on his nightstand and he died amongst Hindu chants and prayers. He also supposedly left 20 million British pounds to the International Society for Krishna Consciousness. At this point, I'm thinking there isn't going to be any kind of Beatles' reunion in heaven. Personally, I never cared for their music as a band or individually. And I despise Lennon's song Imagine. :puke

I did hear something about this so-called revival, but I haven't really looked into it. Because many of the "revivals" in the 90s and 2000s turned out to be false, I'm waiting to see if this one is real or not - or should I say inspired by God or the devil.
I remember George Harrison did a song called My Sweet Lord it was talking about Hare Krishna.

alisani

Maybe I’m missing something on all of this lol, but did they want it to go viral though? Or were people just recording? Also even if Asbury chapel itself was recording live, doesn’t necessarily mean the plan was to “make it go viral.” Many churches broadcast their services live so those who missed can watch from home. My church does the same thing every Sunday. If a service in our church ever went viral because people decided to share the live broadcast we would be surprised when a lot of people come running into our church as well.
According to the university president Dr. Brown and the school's communications director, they were happy to have it go viral though they did not intentionally seek it, as "social media is the mechanism by which the news is spread".

"The setup is simple. No projector screens or high-tech integrations, just wooden sanctuary chairs filled with people, and an open altar call with an invitation to prayer that still hasn’t ended."

"Many attendees of the Asbury gathering say they were drawn by a spiritual presence they felt was at the event."

I'm well aware that my personal and professional background is more likely to create some bias regarding this situation. I admit that I see more red flags than fruit at this time, but I am not closed off to the possibility that this is of God. And I know with absolute certainty that even if it is not of God, He is in control and that His truth and good purposes will not fail. But I remain cautious for now regarding the intentions and beliefs of some of those who are endorsing and promoting. And when the school prez talks about books being written about the college and its people and its spiritual accomplishments, then I question motives. Do they wish to serve God and bring Him glory? Or do they wish to serve egos? Like I said, I've seen a lot, and I'm a cynic for it. I'm grateful for you @Dave_97 and others here who are optimistic and more hopeful about this. You keep me balanced and you keep me from automatically assuming the worst. But my caution will remain for a time as I believe caution to be necessary.

Hugs all! :hug

Psalm37v4

Hated and laughed at by the world but loved by God
I thought it wasn’t streaming anymore? I see people from Spanish-speaking countries supposedly streaming it live on YouTube.

I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, I see testimonies on Facebook from it but then, I saw a story on YouTube I think (?) that said, money fell from the balcony. I want so much for this to be genuine, but with stories like that, it’s hard.

Amethyst

Angie ... †
My concern is that when this event is over, they will expect changes in the world, not just themselves.
Good point. Im seeing comments on various conservative news articles. Conservatives (not necessarily faithful bible readers) who are hoping this event ("revival") will spread and lead to a change in our political woes; they're not even mentioning Jesus. :idunno Kind of strange.

JSTyler

Aren't revivals at their heart, directional? If people are moving towards Christ, pressing into Him and not away from Christ, pressing into the world, I'd say they have a revival.

My personal revival was spawned out of the death of a pet dog. I did a 180 and went from pressing into the world to pressing into Christ in the painful aftermath. I doubt it looked like any revival in the books or in anyone's imagination for that matter, but it was a revival nonetheless and had a very positive change on my life and the lives of a few others in my orbit.

God did wondrously powerful works through a donkey, murderers, prostitutes, fish puke, stubborn and rebellious people, pagan nations, to name a few aaaaaaaand too many other incomprehensible means to throw this particular baby out with the hand-wipes.

If a single soul was won over or given over to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ...it's all WIN and all glory to God.

TimeWarpWife

IMHO, I don't really see our "political woes" in this country, much less the world, changing much ~ if at all. There could be another temporary hold put on the globalists' one world government agenda by a conservative POTUS candidate being elected in 2024. But the globalists' agenda for the OWG is set for 2030, although they're doing everything possible to make it happen before then. It would be wonderful if there was another "Great Awakening" so many more people would get saved prior to the Rapture and the Tribulation, but biblically I don't see there's anything like that prophesied to happen in the Last Days before the Rapture. In fact, the Bible states in 2 Timothy 3 that "perilous times" will come and evil will grow worse and worse ~ and it is.

Last edited:

ItIsFinished!

Blood bought child of the King of kings.
The next real revival will be in Israel during the Tribulation.
Good point. Im seeing comments on various conservative news articles. Conservatives (not necessarily faithful bible readers) who are hoping this event ("revival") will spread and lead to a change in our political woes; they're not even mentioning Jesus. :idunno Kind of strange.
I haven't heard one person mention The Lord Jesus Christ in any of the footage I viewed about this GATHERING .
NOT ONE TIME.

I'm a glass half full fella, but a realist at heart .
I'm not going to offer people false hope and Ned Flanders type words and attitude.
We are living in times of great DECEPTION.

The next real revival will be during the Tribulation.
Mainly in Israel .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back