What part does repentance have in salvation?

RonJohnSilver

This question comes from my Bible study class on doctrine. When going over the verses regarding salvation, we noted that some have no mention of repentance. For example, Acts 16:31..."Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved..." And there are several others.

However, look at the verses dealing with repentance, starting with the story of Jonah and the Ninevites..."When God saw their deeds, that they turned from their wicked way, then God relented concerning the calamity which He had declared He would bring upon them. And He did not do it.” Jonah 3:5-8. It would seem then, that repentance is the mark of a true conversion. There are numerous verses some with repentance, some without.

Belief plus repentance sounds a lot like 'works' salvation, adding something that we must do. But, no repentance means that there could be some who believe yet never have a true conversion, a turning from sin to God. So, to the title question...what part does repentance have in salvation?

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
John's gospel, the one written so that "you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name" uses the word believe somewhere around 100 times and never uses the word repent.

Repent has become a very technical word among Christians now, and there is a lot of debate over what it means as a technical term, which makes the conversations about it very confusing. As a word in the original Greek, it just means to change your mind. Sometimes it is used in the Bible as a synonym for believe.

If you take it to mean change your mind about sin, isn't that a given for anyone who decides he wants to believe in Jesus as his savior? If you have realized you need a savior, you already have changed your mind about your insufficient self righteousness (like Hebrews 6 mentions as a fundamental of the faith: repentance from dead works) and the fact that sin is sin in God's eyes and deserves judgment.

Turning from sins to God is a result of progressive sanctification and is the basis for discipleship and your witness to others. Some Christians do seem to remain carnal perpetually given the warning that some will reach the bema seat only to find their entire lives burnt up in judgment. These are saved as though through fire. Still part of the Church but missing out on some reward.

Just some thoughts. I've been watching a lot of Andy Woods recently, which is where most of these ideas are coming from if you're curious

Last edited:

Andy C

I really like Jacks brief explanation:

“The Greek word translated “repent”in the Bible is “metanoeo”. It means to change our mind about something. It’s a combination of “meta” (after) and “noeo” (to perceive or understand). It’s like saying, “I used to believe one way, but that was before I understood. Now that I understand I believe a different way. I have repented.”

Before we can be saved we have to change our mind (repent) about two things. One is to admit that we’re sinners who would be hopelessly lost without a Savior, and the other is to believe that God sent His Son to pay the penalty due us for our sins so He could be our Savior. Therefore repentance comes before salvation, and that’s why we say, “Repent and be saved.”

Some people have the mistaken belief that to repent means to change our behavior. But if that was the case the phrase “repent and be saved” would mean we’d all have to stop sinning before we could be saved. It doesn’t make sense.

Many believers do experience a change in their behavior after they’re saved, But when that happens it’s not called repentance, It’s called the regeneration of the Holy Spirit”

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/repentance-and-salvation-2/

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
I thought "repent" was more focused toward the Jews who had the law and thought that their understanding of it could save them. Paul's "believe on the Lord Jesus to be saved" was more focused toward the gentiles who didn't have the law or know anything about God. If you notice, whenever the word "repent" is being used, it is usually a Jewish audience. I could be wrong, but this was my understanding.

Andy C

I thought "repent" was more focused toward the Jews who had the law and thought that their understanding of it could save them. Paul's "believe on the Lord Jesus to be saved" was more focused toward the gentiles who didn't have the law or know anything about God. If you notice, whenever the word "repent" is being used, it is usually a Jewish audience. I could be wrong, but this was my understanding.
The Apostle Paul mission was preaching to the gentiles, and below are a few of his verses:

Romans 2:4
Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?

Corinthians 2:9-10

Now I rejoice, not that you were made sorry, but that your sorrow led to repentance. For you were made sorry in a godly manner, that you might suffer loss from us in nothing. For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death.

Andy C

One more from Jack

Question:What part does repentance have in becoming saved? We often read we must just ask for forgiveness and believe in Jesus.
Answer: This is confusing to many because somewhere along the way the word “repent” was re-defined to mean “change your behavior.” But the Greek word translated “repent” in the New Testament really means “change your mind.” It’s used mostly in the gospels and the first part of the Book of Acts when either Jesus or the disciples/apostles were urging their Jewish listeners to repent and be saved.

Because their audience had been taught that keeping the Law was the way to salvation, they needed to change their minds and realize they needed a Savior. This is what Jesus was teaching in Matt. 5:20 when He said unless their righteousness surpassed that of the Pharisees they would certainly not enter the Kingdom of Heaven. The Pharisees had devoted their lives to keeping even the smallest details of the Law, and Jesus was saying this was not sufficient for salvation. It was going to take an even greater righteousness than that.

Later, Paul wrote that God had made known a righteousness apart from the Law that comes through faith in Jesus to all who believe, and this righteousness would be sufficient to save us (Romans 3:21-24). This is the righteousness Jesus had been talking about.

Gentiles didn’t need to change their minds about saving themselves through the Law, they needed to change their minds about their behavior and recognize that it was sinful. This is true of unbelievers today as well. Before anyone can be saved, they need to come to the realization that they’re sinners and believe that Jesus died and rose again so their sins could be forgiven. This is what the phrase “repent and be saved” means.
Therefore, when we’ve asked Jesus to be our savior, the repenting has been done.

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/repent-and-be-saved-what-does-it-mean/

mattfivefour

Belief plus repentance sounds a lot like 'works' salvation, adding something that we must do.
I don't think so, brother. Repentance is attitude, not works. Without the right attitude, we can never come to God. Were God to require no proper attitude in order for us to come to salvation would make us mere automatons upon whom God acts without any input of our own. That idea is ludicrous. We have been given free will, and we need to use it to make a proper choice. Doing so is not a work; it is --simply-- a choice.

We have been given free will, and we need to use it to make a proper choice. Doing so is not a work; it is --simply-- a choice.
This is a good distinction to make to help clarify it. Working and choosing are not the same. If what we are choosing is a free gift - like salvation and eternal life - that Jesus paid the full cost for it.

Me choosing to open a birthday present that someone gives me has nothing to do with me working for it. Yet I still have a choice to accept it or not.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
This passage might give some insight:

For thus says the high and lofty One—He Who inhabits eternity, Whose name is Holy: I dwell in the high and holy place, but with him also who is of a thoroughly penitent and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble and to revive the heart of the thoroughly penitent [bruised with sorrow for sin].

Isaiah 57:15 AMPC

Andy C

This question comes from my Bible study class on doctrine. When going over the verses regarding salvation, we noted that some have no mention of repentance. For example, Acts 16:31..."Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved..." And there are several others.

However, look at the verses dealing with repentance, starting with the story of Jonah and the Ninevites..."When God saw their deeds, that they turned from their wicked way, then God relented concerning the calamity which He had declared He would bring upon them. And He did not do it.” Jonah 3:5-8. It would seem then, that repentance is the mark of a true conversion. There are numerous verses some with repentance, some without.

Belief plus repentance sounds a lot like 'works' salvation, adding something that we must do. But, no repentance means that there could be some who believe yet never have a true conversion, a turning from sin to God. So, to the title question...what part does repentance have in salvation?
You have have not posted on this thread, or liked any comments since starting this thread. Did you receive the answer you were looking for or are there more questions or comments?

Wings Like Eagles

The Apostle Paul mission was preaching to the gentiles, and below are a few of his verses:

Romans 2:4
Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?

Corinthians 2:9-10

Now I rejoice, not that you were made sorry, but that your sorrow led to repentance. For you were made sorry in a godly manner, that you might suffer loss from us in nothing. For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death.
Absolutely agree, Andy. Regret over past sin is NOT repentance. Repentance is basically agreeing with God that you are a miserable sinner in need of His Salvation through His Son, by the conviction of the Holy Spirit. Salvation is NOTHING that WE DO but rather, is based on God's action in response to a belief that we have.

Wings Like Eagles

I think repenting and believing are pretty much the same thing. To believe is to repent--to change your thinking from one way to another way. I don't think they can be separated, nor does one come before the other.
I think you are correct. Salvation happens when there is a dawning of light (the light of Christ) within our souls, by the power of the convicting Holy Spirit. Unsaved people give little thought to sin, especially if it is "victimless". But the filthiness of sin is there, whether they see it or not, as they inhabit the darkness. When the Light comes into their lives, it exposes the filth of sin for what it is--a rebellion against God and the instrument of condemnation. NO ONE will be able to say that God is not just because, even if they lack knowledge of His Law, their own consciences convict them of wrongdoing according to the Apostle Paul in his letter to the Romans.

And once we get past the initial change of mind and believe, repentance plays an ongoing role in experiential sanctification as issues are brought up and we either cooperate or not with the conviction.
Yes, learning what our sins are, confessing them to God and submitting to Him admitting we are completely powerless to change without His help and ask Him to help us change for the better. This is the way.

Bethlehem57

I don't think so, brother. Repentance is attitude, not works. Without the right attitude, we can never come to God. Were God to require no proper attitude in order for us to come to salvation would make us mere automatons upon whom God acts without any input of our own. That idea is ludicrous. We have been given free will, and we need to use it to make a proper choice. Doing so is not a work; it is --simply-- a choice.
Agree totally! Repentance is the heart change that comes with salvation and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. If one is truly saved, the Spirit that lives inside each believer, convicts the heart to stop doing the things formerly done that grieve our Lord. Nothing to do with works that are like “filthy rags” to our Savior.

We are called to become less like ourselves and more like Christ through reading the Bible (not just other people’s works about the Bible), but The Bible, through prayer, worship and communion with our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.

The fruit that comes from repentance is proof of salvation. You no longer partake in the former things because they aren’t attractive as they once were.

jots

Also in John 16:8,9 Jesus tells us this, speaking of the Holy Spirit:

"8 And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 of sin, because they do not believe in Me;

The Holy Spirit is convicting the world of sin, which by Jesus definition is unbelief in HIM.

Unbelief is the unpardonable sin and the only sin we can truly repent of. Any other sin we can go right back to doing no matter how sincere at the time.

Back