What is the TRUE definition of dispensationalism? (and is it true?)

Jonathan

Or better yet, does it mean something that I don't think it means, or on the hand it does The Old Testament clearly demands stoning for a very certain crime (don't bother looking for it). just trust me when I say that the process is hideous, repulsive, disgusting and inhumane, And a dictate you would expect from Satan, not God.

Fast forward to Jesus encountering a small mob who wanted to stone a woman for adultery. Gracefully, Jesus entered the picture and starting writing on the sand. One very popular, even prevalent theory, is that Jesus, Son of God, was writing very specific sins committed by those wishing to stone the woman. And as each potential stone thrower saw his own guilt and sinful actions he capitulated and. At the end, Jesus said something else to the adulteress along the lines of "There is no one else who remains to bear charges again you. Nor shall I"
(PS that isn't just a paraphrase but is poor one).

I went off track totally there but I will bring it home. What is dispensationalism. truly? And, what Biblical sources support it.

Did Jesus violate the old testament or, rather, was He creating the newest dispensation in his acts of mercy towards sinners?

He said "I don't come to remove the OT, but rather, to fulfill it." (again, paraphrasing).

But if all of that is true, is it not a fair assumption that God's morality is, in fact, not eternally consistent?

On the other hand, that scene from the Word of God could be Christ letting us know he is capable of forgiving sins.

In short, what is Dispensationalism, and what biblical sources can back it up?

Last edited:

MePlus6

When I look at dispensationalism, the big thing that jumps out at me is how God interacted with humans in the OT vs the NT.

In the OT, sins were punishable quickly and decisively.

In the NT, there’s grace (and even a grace period of one’s whole life before judgement).

What’s the difference between the two testaments? The coming of Christ and, more specifically, the cross.

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
The seven dispensations – What are they?

The seven dispensations are part of a system of biblical interpretation called dispensationalism. Some dispensationalists identify more dispensations, but for the purposes of this article we will discuss the seven common dispensations found in the Bible. Generic dispensationalism divides the history of mankind into seven distinct dispensations: The dispensation of innocence, the dispensation of conscience, the dispensation of human government, the dispensation of promise, the dispensation of Law, the dispensation of grace, and the millennial kingdom of Christ. It is important to note that these seven dispensations are a man-made way of understanding what the Bible has revealed to us about God's purposes towards men. Dispensationalism is not a biblical concept, nor is it found anywhere in the Bible. It is a theological system of organizing and understanding God's work, but it is not itself Scripture.

The word "dispensation" means "a system of order, government, or organization of a nation, community, etc., especially as existing at a particular time." Looking through the Bible, we can find seven distinct dispensations, or "ways of doing things" that were God-ordered and God-ordained. Each dispensation has a purpose in the overall story. The following is a brief description of each dispensation.

The Dispensation of Innocence

This dispensation covers the time from the creation of man to the fall of man (Genesis 1:28-30 and 2:15-17). All of God's creatures lived at peace with themselves and with each other, and the world was without sin or death. Man was to procreate, rule the earth and the animals, and take care of the garden. He was given one command to obey: not to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Eve and Adam disobeyed this rule, and were expelled from the garden as punishment, ending the dispensation of innocence.

The Dispensation of Conscience

The expulsion from the garden began the dispensation of conscience—a time when man was left to rule himself by his own will and conscience, both of which had been tainted by sin. It was a disaster, and ended in disaster—the worldwide flood (Genesis 3:8—8:22). During this dispensation, man became so wicked that "every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually" and God regretted making man and was "grieved to his heart" (Genesis 6:5-6). This was also the time when fallen angels married human women and produced giant, evil offspring called Nephilim (Genesis 6:1-4). God chose to end humanity with a flood and begin again with Noah and his family (Genesis 6:11-18).

The Dispensation of Human Government

The dispensation of human government began just after the flood. God made promises and gave commands to Noah and his family. God promised not to curse the earth again, and never to flood it again. He commanded Noah and his sons to repopulate the world and scatter across the earth, and He allowed them to use animals for food. God also established the law of capital punishment (Genesis 8:1-9:7). Noah's descendants failed to "fill the earth" as was commanded, and instead they worked together to build the tower of Babel (Genesis 11:1-9). God countered this action by confusing their languages, creating different nations and cultures that later spread to different areas. This was the beginning of human government.

The Dispensation of Promise

The dispensation of human government lasted until the call of Abraham. The call of Abraham, the lives of the patriarchs, and the enslavement of the Jewish people to Egypt all fall under the dispensation of promise. This was the time when Abraham's descendants waited for the promise that was given to Abraham: that God would make Abraham's descendants a great nation and give them their own land (Genesis 12:1-7). This dispensation ended with the Exodus of the Jews from Egypt. Once they left Egypt they were officially a nation, led by God into the wilderness toward the Promised Land.

The Dispensation of Law

The dispensation of law lasted almost 1,500 years, beginning with the Exodus and ending with the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ. The delivery of the Ten Commandments and the Mosaic Law, found in Exodus 19—23, outlined the standard of perfection that God required from His people, and included the instructions about temple worship and sacrifices. This was the age of priests, prophets and kings, both good and evil. The people of Yahweh repeatedly broke His commands, and wandered off after other gods. It is important to note that strict following of commandments was never as important to God as mercy and faithfulness (Hosea 6:6). The law was given to show the people that they needed to depend on God and trust Him to save them, rather than trusting themselves, their own goodness, or other gods for salvation. He has never expected perfection—if He did, He would not have provided the sacrificial system as a way for man to say "yes, I have sinned; here is a symbol of my need for forgiveness and atonement." The blood of bulls and goats cannot take away sin—they are a symbol, looking forward to the One whose blood could take away sin (Hebrews 9:11-14; Hebrews 10:3-10).

The Dispensation of Grace

The dispensation of grace started at the resurrection of Jesus Christ and continues today. It is the new covenant in Christ's blood (Luke 22:20). This is also called the "age of grace" or the "church age," and scholars believe that the entire dispensation—more than 2,000 years—occurs between the 69th and 70th weeks of Daniel's prophecy in Daniel 9:24. Atonement was provided on the cross, once for all, for any who would believe: Abraham's children are all those who have faith, including Gentiles (or non-Jews) (Hebrews 10:10, 14; Romans 5:1; Romans 3:29-30; Galatians 3:7, 29). During this dispensation, we also have a Comforter with us, the Holy Spirit of God, who indwells believers (John 14:16-26). Dispensationalists believe that the Church Age will end with the rapture of the Church (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18; Revelation 3:10) and then the tribulation, the seven years when those who dwell on the earth will experience God's judgment, will begin (Daniel 12:1-4; Matthew 24:21-27). The exact timing of the rapture is a subject of great debate, but dispensationalists believe it will happen at the beginning of the seven years. We do know that some people will be saved during the tribulation (Revelation 7:14-17) and that it will end with the battle of Armageddon, when Jesus Christ will return and defeat Satan and any who would follow him into battle (Revelation 19:11—20:3).

The Millennial Kingdom of Christ

The Millennial Kingdom begins with the defeat of Satan (Revelation 20:1-3) and ushers in 1,000 years of peace, where Christ will reign on the earth (Revelation 20:4). This is the fulfillment of many prophecies, declaring that Christ will return and be King. After the 1,000 years are ended, Satan will be released. People will again follow him in a battle against God, and they will be defeated again (Revelation 20:7-10). There will be a final judgment of all people, great and small (Revelation 20:11-15), the old earth and heaven will be destroyed by fire, Satan will be thrown into the lake of fire, and this will begin the Eternal Kingdom, the new heaven and the new earth (Revelation 21 and 22). "He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away" (Revelation 21:4).

https://www.compellingtruth.org/seven-dispensations.html

What is dispensationalism?

In the study of a compilation of 66 books written by 40 different authors over the course of 1500 years, it is essential to determine a framework for interpretation. The last book of the Bible was written nearly 2000 years ago. Both Testaments were written in a drastically different culture and language. It is clear that much of the Bible was intended as history, but some is also allegory and symbolism, some poetry, and much of it prophecy. Determining how to consolidate several different literary forms and determine God's over-arching story almost requires a methodology as flexible as the scientific method—make a prediction, see how the evidence supports that prediction, refine the prediction until no further anomalies occur, then use the established framework to interpret the more ambiguous texts. The established framework adhered to by dispensationlists is that the text of the Bible should be taken literally wherever possible and that the church and the nation of Israel are two separate entities which God has managed via two distinct plans.

Within the literal interpretation of dispensationalism is allowance for metaphor, figures of speech, and allegory. Jesus was fond of using allegory in His parables (Matthew 13:10-17). God often used imagery to reveal facets of His character whether it is His protective side (Matthew 23:37) or His power (Hosea 5:14). But the meaning behind the metaphor is taken literally. God makes it evident through His use of language which passages are literal and which are metaphorical. Even in such miraculous events as the creation of the world, He uses specific language to reveal His literal meaning. For instance, while many try to force the text to mean God created the world during a long expanse of time, the text specifically states "And there was evening and there was morning…" (Genesis 1:5, 8, 13, 19, 23, 31). In no other place in the Bible does the phrase "evening and morning" refer to a symbolic period of time; it always refers to a 24-hour day.

God also worked through the course of history to encourage a literal interpretation of the Bible. Those prophecies which have been fulfilled have all been fulfilled literally. Jesus was literally born of a virgin (Isaiah 7:14) in Bethlehem (Micah 5:2) and rode into Jerusalem on the colt of a donkey (Zechariah 9:9). God did not have to fulfill these prophecies literally, but because He did, it impels us to interpret other prophecies just as literally. It makes sense that He would want His word interpreted literally. To fill His word with symbolism and hidden mysteries would be to invite too much subjectivity into interpretation, something that can be readily witnessed in the church today, and throughout its history.

A literal interpretation of the Bible may have its greatest and most divisive effect in the interpretation of what will happen in the end times. Dispensationalism holds that the church and Israel are two different entities, with whom God interacts in two specific ways. Unlike Covenant theology, dispensationalism teaches that the church did not inherit the promises God made to Israel. Although both the church and Israel receive salvation through the sacrifice of Jesus, the church is not a political/national entity and is not called to enforce God's standards on a nationwide or worldwide scale. With this distinction in mind, God's plan for Israel is yet to be fulfilled; Israel still has an essential part in the end times which will ultimately come to pass in the millennial kingdom (Revelation 20). God's attention is temporarily on the church, but will return to Israel when the church is raptured before the Tribulation.

"Dispensationalism" gets its name from the "dispensations" inferred in the Bible. They are innocence (Genesis 1:1–3:7), conscience (Genesis 3:8–8:22), human government (Genesis 9:1–11:32), promise (Genesis 12:1–Exodus 19:25), law (Exodus 20:1–Acts 2:4), grace (Acts 2:4–Revelation 20:3), and the millennial kingdom (Revelation 20:4-6). Perhaps ironically, these seven timeframes are not literally named in the text, but they do accurately describe the different ways in which God has interacted with His creation. A literal interpretation of the Bible shows that God has related to mankind in different ways over the course of history, and that Israel and the church are two separate entities. That is the essence of dispensationalism.

https://www.compellingtruth.org/dispensationalism.html

Andy C

A Bible Study by Jack Kelley

I’ve been answering questions from so many people for so long that I sometimes forget not everyone who comes to the site has read all of them. As a case in point, I answered a question about the flood where I said it was the second in a series of seven times where mankind would violate the terms of an agreement with God and bring judgment upon themselves. I didn’t think any more about it until I received several questions from people asking what I was talking about and could I list the other six times. I realized they hadn’t read the several answers I have posted over the years on the theological system I follow called dispensationalism.

What Is Dispensationalism?​

Dispensationalism is a method for interpreting the Bible. The Greek word from which we get dispensation appears only 7 times in the New Testament and is only translated as such in four of those, all by Paul and all in the King James (1 Cor. 9:17, Ephes. 1:10, Ephes. 3:2, Colossians 1:25). Other meanings of this word are stewardship, administration, and economy.

What Do Dispensationalists Believe?​

A dispensationalist believes that God has dealt with humanity in different ways at different times—revealing to us His character and His plan for mankind. These different periods of time are called dispensations.

For example, while salvation has always been by faith, the way to salvation through much of the Old Testament was through Israel and required obedience to the Law as well. That is not the case during the Church Age. And while eternal security is promised to the Church, it was not promised to Israel. Neither was the Holy Spirit sealed within Old Testament believers as is the case with believers in the Church (Ephes. 1:13-14). Therefore, the way God dealt with Israel in the Old Testament took place during a different dispensation than His dealings with the Church in the New Testament. Get the idea?

This is one of the reasons I’ve given in support of my position that Eternal Security won’t be available to post rapture believers. The last seven years before the Lord’s return (Daniel’s 70th Week) will be a time when God deals primarily with Israel again, as He did in the Old Testament. He promised Israel these seven years and has yet to provide them. Daniel 9:24-27 explains this and tells us a temple will be built in Israel during that time, and that animal sacrifices will once again be offered on its altar. While these things were required during Old Testament times they would be both unnecessary and undesirable now unless the Church Age first comes to an end—which will happen with the Rapture. This is why so many dispensationalists believe the Rapture will happen before Daniel’s 70th Week begins.

Some say that dispensationalism is a relatively modern system of theology first proposed by John Nelson Darby in the mid-1800s. But evidence that the early church believed in the principles of dispensationalism can be found in the 2nd Century writings of Justin Martyr and Irenaeus. Justin Martyr saw four distinct periods (dispensations) and gave them the names of the principle players, Adam to Abraham; Abraham to Moses; Moses to Christ; and Christ to Eternity. Irenaeus also saw four periods, from the Creation to the Flood, from the Flood to the Law, from the Law to the Gospel, and from the Gospel to Eternity.

More recently most scholars have settled on seven dispensations. Each one has begun with an agreement between God and man that man has subsequently broken, causing the agreement to fail and requiring a judgment. Here are the seven dispensations in chronological order.

Edit by me - The 7 dispensations are listed on the bottom link, but were already provided by Matthew 6:33

What Is God’s Purpose In This?

I think the overarching purpose of these seven dispensations is to demonstrate that there are no conditions under which natural man can behave in a manner acceptable to God. Only the Church is able to do so and then only after being perfected in the rapture. This is why Paul wrote that after the end of the Millennium when it comes time for Jesus to present the kingdom to the Father, He will first destroy all dominion, authority, and power (1 Cor. 15:24). What that means is when we enter eternity neither mankind nor the angels will ever have the desire or ability to disobey God again. That’s why there isn’t an eighth dispensation called Eternity.

Two of the major changes that dispensationalism, as we know it today, brought us are the return to a literal interpretation of Scripture (especially where it deals with prophecy) and the realization that there’s a distinct difference between Israel and the Church in the End Times. It’s the best tool I know of to determine the context of a passage and understand who its intended recipients are. (Reform theology does not adhere to a literal interpretation of Scripture, treats end times prophecy as allegorical, and blurs the distinction between Israel and the Church to the point where some claim the Church has replaced Israel in God’s plan making Israel an unnecessary part of our times.)

Most dispensationalists believe in a pre-tribulation Rapture, followed by Daniel’s 70th week with its accompanying judgments, and a literal Kingdom of God that will begin with the 2nd Coming and last for 1,000 years. During this time, Israel will be God’s Kingdom on Earth while the Church will be God’s Kingdom in Heaven.

So this is what dispensationalists believe. It’s what I believe and is the theological foundation for all the articles and answers to be found on this site. This is why I said the Great Flood was the second in a series of seven times where mankind would violate the terms of an agreement with God and bring judgment upon themselves. Selah

https://gracethrufaith.com/topical-studies/dispensationalism-2/

pixelpusher

Most dispensationalists believe in a pre-tribulation Rapture, followed by Daniel’s 70th week with its accompanying judgments, and a literal Kingdom of God that will begin with the 2nd Coming and last for 1,000 years. During this time, Israel will be God’s Kingdom on Earth while the Church will be God’s Kingdom in Heaven.

Won't the Church reign on the earth with Israel, under Christ's authority during the MK? That will be a unique time period with glorified and natural people on the earth. Rev 5:10

1 Thess 4:17
After that, we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will always be with the Lord.

So if Jesus is here, reigning on David's throne in Jerusalem, we'll be here too.

Last edited:

Andy C

Won't the Church reign on the earth with Israel, under Christ's authority during the MK? That will be a unique time period with glorified and natural people on the earth. Rev 5:10

1 Thess 4:17
After that, we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will always be with the Lord.

So if Jesus is here, reigning on David's throne in Jerusalem, we'll be here too.
Good question with many teachers having different opions.

IMO, we will reside in Gods Kingdom in Heaven, but will be able to go back and forth to earth during the MK.

Or better yet, does it mean something that I don't think it means, or on the hand it does The Old Testament clearly demands stoning for a very certain crime (don't bother looking for it). just trust me when I say that the process is hideous, repulsive, disgusting and inhumane, And a dictate you would expect from Satan, not God.

Fast forward to Jesus encountering a small mob who wanted to stone a woman for adultery. Gracefully, Jesus entered the picture and starting writing on the sand. One very popular, even prevalent theory, is that Jesus, Son of God, was writing very specific sins committed by those wishing to stone the woman. And as each potential stone thrower saw his own guilt and sinful actions he capitulated and. At the end, Jesus said something else to the adulteress along the lines of "There is no one else who remains to bear charges again you. Nor shall I"

I went off track totally there but I will bring it home. What is dispensationalism. truly? And, what Biblical sources support it.

Did Jesus violate the old testament or, rather, was He creating the newest dispensation in his acts of mercy towards sinners?

He said "I don't come to remove the OT, but rather, to fulfill it." (again, paraphrasing).

But if all of that is true, is it not a fair assumption that God's morality is, in fact, not eternally consistent?

On the other hand, that scene from the Word of God could be Christ letting us know he is capable of forgiving sins.

Yes, it is true. It is the only way to make sense out of the whole of scripture, and gives a theological underpinning to what we believe and why.

I would encourage every believer study the important ages/epochs/dispensations of God. Some great intros already given. :thumbup

Unfortunately there are groups that take it way too far and veer into incorrect teachings, like ultra dispensationalists. So be careful!

Last edited:

katt

Makes one wonder will the rod of iron Jesus runs the millennium with be tempered with Grace, or will the age of grace be totally over at the rapture?

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
Makes one wonder will the rod of iron Jesus runs the millennium with be tempered with Grace, or will the age of grace be totally over at the rapture?

Jesus Himself is the same yesterday, today, and forever. God has always been a God of mercy and love and justice all in one. Think about his introduction of Himself to Moses in Exodus 34

5Then the Lord came down in the cloud and stood there with him and proclaimed his name, the Lord. 6And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, “The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, 7maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation.”

That was even before the cross, and we have examples of God forgiving people like David who committed adultery and murder. God has always interacted with people with grace from the very first when Adam and Eve fell and did not instantly physically die. It's not as if grace ends when the Church Age ends. It's also not as if God's holiness went away during the Church Age, either.

God has always interacted with people by showing so much mercy and so much grace and always will.

alisani

Jesus Himself is the same yesterday, today, and forever. God has always been a God of mercy and love and justice all in one. Think about his introduction of Himself to Moses in Exodus 34

5Then the Lord came down in the cloud and stood there with him and proclaimed his name, the Lord. 6And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, “The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, 7maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation.”

That was even before the cross, and we have examples of God forgiving people like David who committed adultery and murder. God has always interacted with people with grace from the very first when Adam and Eve fell and did not instantly physically die. It's not as if grace ends when the Church Age ends. It's also not as if God's holiness went away during the Church Age, either.

God has always interacted with people by showing so much mercy and so much grace and always will.
Amen and amen and amen again! One day, we will brought to Him for all eternity and we will have the joy of falling at His feet in worship!! Great is our God and worthy to be praised! :bow:bow:bow

UntilTheWholeWorldHears

I don't understand It all. Not sure why God in the OT acts differently in The NT. He is the same as yesterday, today, and tomorrow???
The one thing that helps me is going to the foot of the cross.
It is there perhaps that I can get some
perspective on His righteousness, and on his His love.
As I walk away from the foot of the cross I realize, God is good ,and I'm not!!!

Chris

Administrator
Staff member

Jonathan,
I would encourage you to visit the main site and use the search feature for looking up topics that you are struggling with or that you want more information on. Here is a link to the main site search feature on the topic of "dispensationalism" with articles written by Dr. Reagan, Jack Kelley, Jack Kinsella, Pete Garcia, etc. You will probably find helpful information here:

https://www.raptureforums.com/?s=dispensationalism

These are good ones:

https://www.raptureforums.com/jack-kinsella/the-seven-dispensations-of-scripture/

https://www.raptureforums.com/jack-kinsella/the-dispensations-and-the-ages/

https://www.raptureforums.com/bible-study/dispensationalism/

https://www.raptureforums.com/jack-kinsella/dispensational-truth/

I hope that helps.

God bless.

katt

I don't understand It all. Not sure why God in the OT acts differently in The NT. He is the same as yesterday, today, and tomorrow???
The one thing that helps me is going to the foot of the cross.
It is there perhaps that I can get some
perspective on His righteousness, and on his His love.
As I walk away from the foot of the cross I realize, God is good ,and I'm not!!!
In the old testament we were in the age of judgement, in the new testament we are in the age of grace..

UntilTheWholeWorldHears

In the old testament we were in the age of judgement, in the new testament we are in the age of grace..
I'm fully aware! Still, why one dispensation period over the other?
Also, during the Millennium kingdom how will God rule? Back to the law?
My point, it's not easy to understand God’s ways, much less explain them.

I'm fully aware! Still, why one dispensation period over the other?
Also, during the Millennium kingdom how will God rule? Back to the law?
My point, it's not easy to understand God’s ways, much less explain them.
I have thought about this. I think the dispensations help give us a more complete picture of Who God is. I believe in the bible, 7 is the number of perfection. Maybe this has something to do with the reason why there are 7 dispensations? :idunno

It doesn't help that we have corrupt sinful minds... This makes it even harder to understand perfection and holiness.

Back