The 7 Feasts

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
Not to nitpick but that could be a poetical spring as much as a literal spring. (So I'm not going to be disappointed if we don't go home this spring). Spring is after all the time when new life begins and what could better describe our going home as the beginning of new life. Spring as it were.

Having said that I do like the thought of the Lord coming for us in spring. Spring is my favourite season. Not too hot, not too cold and bursting with life as the days lengthen.

Knowing God, why could it not be both? My understanding of prophetic types in the old testament is that they were literal events but with metaphoric/prophetic significance. Same thing, I think it would be consistent to have it both literally and metaphorically be spring. Although maybe I'm just saying that because it's almost spring now :lol ask me again in the fall

sara ann

Be careful. Remember that the feasts were for Israel, not the church. Many have erred because they assign NT meanings to OT events. Especially the rapture. That (rapture), they say, is represented by Pentecost (some say the feast of Booths) however, what is overlooked, is that assigning of any day, ANY day, ANY year to the rapture destroys the doctrine of imminency. There may be, and likely are, meanings attached for the festivals, however, I believe they either would apply only to Israel or possibly to a time which would be post-rapture. They do not, cannot refer to the Rapture event itself.
Ron
Regarding the Feasts of the Lord, I came across this intruiging explanation:

Passover, Unleavened Bread and Firstfruits are fullfilled by our Lord Jesus.
Shavuot is now, in the present, and will remain until the Restrainer leaves.
The Feast of Trumpets, Day of Atonement, and Feast of Tabernacles are to come.
And the eternal Sabbath at the end of the ages.

What dou y’all think, is this correct?
Don't know if it's correct Kaatje but I believe Our Father in Heaven set these feast days for a reason. I have read many articles and did some studies on the feast days in scripture and have arrived at the conclusion we should be paying more attention to Our Fathers Feasts Days and less to mans holidays. The more I read the scriptures the more I believe that there is a definite connection there, just not sure what or when.

In answer to your question, Is this correct? Not sure, but I am believe we should be paying attention.

Thanks Kaatje for your post, it is an interesting subject.
Don't know if it's correct Kaatje but I believe Our Father in Heaven set these feast days for a reason. I have read many articles and did some studies on the feast days in scripture and have arrived at the conclusion we should be paying more attention to Our Fathers Feasts Days and less to mans holidays. The more I read the scriptures the more I believe that there is a definite connection there, just not sure what or when.

In answer to your question, Is this correct? Not sure, but I am believe we should be paying attention.

Thanks Kaatje for your post, it is an interesting subject.
I am so glad you posted this.....have a question..,,,is it wrong for me to attend a Passover meeting? I am Christian...I have been invited and need to reply....thanks

DanLMP

I am so glad you posted this.....have a question..,,,is it wrong for me to attend a Passover meeting? I am Christian...I have been invited and need to reply....thanks

That sounds interesting. There is a whole bunch of context you didn't give but generally speaking it sounds like you have been given a one time invite to a Jewish Festival. I would guess it wouldn't be your intent to attend as a religious obligation so I can't see the problem in going.

You might get a chance to comment on how the first 4 feasts have been fulfilled in Christ. You might want to read the room to see how well received that would be but it seems interesting a Christian would be invited to a Jewish event and not expect the Christian to comment on Christ and the Passover.

sara ann

thanks for your reply....at this point I'm not sure why or if I will go....will let you know. these people are not Jews...they are a Messianic group who study and attend a church....my problem is I'm not sure why they do this...Jesus is our Passover Lamb and it is finished!! so why? in rereading this I should ask then why....to me it would be trying to add too what is finished....do you see it the same??

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
thanks for your reply....at this point I'm not sure why or if I will go....will let you know. these people are not Jews...they are a Messianic group who study and attend a church....my problem is I'm not sure why they do this...Jesus is our Passover Lamb and it is finished!! so why? in rereading this I should ask then why....to me it would be trying to add too what is finished....do you see it the same??

I think it would depend on the group's intent. I've always been interested in seeing what it would be like to celebrate the biblical feasts from a historical reenactment standpoint and to see the feasts that pointed forward to Jesus.

If their intent is to celebrate it because they believe Christians are still under the law and need to celebrate the feasts, I wouldn't go at all even if invited

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
they are a Messianic group who study and attend a church....

I'd be cautious sara ann. There seems to be a growing movement in keeping holy days in a legalistic sense i.e. the idea that one must be saved by faith in Christ (yes!) ...and keep the holy days (no!! This adds works). You might want to check their church website to see their statement of faith. :sad

Salluz is right, if that's their thinking avoid them! This type of group would be very legalistic and you would run into danger of false teaching and abuse that often follows groups like that.

Here's a couple of articles that may be helpful:

https://www.thebereancall.org/content/hebrew-roots-and-leaven-works-salvation-part-one

https://www.thebereancall.org/content/hebrew-roots-and-leaven-works-salvation-part-two

In all fairness there is a chance that this is just a presentation showing how Passover points to Christ and is a Christ centered church. However, given that there's all sorts of goofy things happening in churches, t's not a bad idea to double check. :)

RonJohnSilver

I would go, for the cultural experience if nothing else. If it gets wacky, which I doubt, don't go back.
As for the feasts, I understand that the first three, the spring feasts, were fulfilled by Jesus at his first coming, the second, Passover, is symbolic of the church and the three fall feasts will be fulfilled by Jesus' second coming. All that is standard and is covered on this site in previous posts. However, I don't think it is necessary to celebrate any of the feasts as part of the Christian faith. The feasts and what they represent, are important historically, culturally and they point to Christ so in that sense they are useful, but in this age of grace, I don't believe they are necessary to observe.

josiah7

Sometimes I get truly confused, examples:

Why are the feast days called Jewish when they are Yahweh's Feast Days?
Why would it be considered works to keep the feast days but not works when we keep the commandments?

These things are confusing to me and would appreciate help in understanding why I see things like this happen so frequently in Christianity. I just don't understand.

greg64

Yes, they are God's feast days, but they were originally given to the Israelites in the Exodus. All point to and are ultimately fulfilled by Christ. As far as observance, only the children of Israel were commanded to do so, with the exception that the Bible says everyone in the Millennium will be expected to keep the Feast of Tabernacles.

As far as comparing to the commandments, to me for both it comes down to whether we're observing them as a grateful response in freedom of if we're doing so to obtain favor based on our own effort. Nothing wrong with the former, but the latter comes back to trying to "earn" something with God and soon turns to empty religion.

So I don't think it's wrong to observe the feasts as celebrations of what God has done, is doing, and will do as long as it's really understood that we're under grace and we're not trying to return to self-effort under the law. Our human egos and wills quickly go there, so it's definitely something to guard againt.

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
There are many rules that were in place for humans before the law was given, and there are many rules reaffirmed for the Church. There were some Jewish rules that the bible says specifically we don't need to follow.

It isn't considered kosher to eat bacon, but Jesus declared all foods clean

18 “Are you so dull?” he asked. “Don’t you see that nothing that enters a person from the outside can defile them? 19 For it doesn’t go into their heart but into their stomach, and then out of the body.” (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods clean.) Mark 7

That's one example of a rule that was part of the law that the church doesn't have to follow. Another is circumcision, which the Church has no obligation to do, and Paul heavily criticized people for claiming it to be a requirement

Galatians 5
It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

2 Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3 Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 4 You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. 5 For through the Spirit we eagerly await by faith the righteousness for which we hope. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

7 You were running a good race. Who cut in on you to keep you from obeying the truth? 8 That kind of persuasion does not come from the one who calls you. 9 “A little yeast works through the whole batch of dough.” 10 I am confident in the Lord that you will take no other view. The one who is throwing you into confusion, whoever that may be, will have to pay the penalty. 11 Brothers and sisters, if I am still preaching circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been abolished. 12 As for those agitators, I wish they would go the whole way and emasculate themselves!

Paul was serious about not letting ourselves be decieved into trying to follow the law to be saved. But there were rules for the Church that were continued, the obvious ones like "Don't murder" and "Don't steal" fall under Jesus' commandment to "Love each other as I have loved you." John 15:12. If you love someone, won't steal from him or kill him or commit adultery with his wife. In a way, the ten commandments are just specific instructions for how to love God and your neighbor.

The sabbath is addressed in Hebrews 4 because Jesus is our Sabbath rest (it was a shadow of our rest in Christ).

In acts, the Church is specifically instructed to abstain from eating blood and from sexual immorality

You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things. Farewell. Acts 15:29

These are rules in place with which Christians can show our gratitude for Christ's completed work at the cross by living out, which Paul describes in Romans 12:1

Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.

Our obedience to the rules set for the Church isn't to save us, but is an act of worship because of our gratitude for Christ saving us. As we are sanctified, we come closer to living in a manner pleasing to God... but it's always out of gratitude, not out of an obligation to work to stay saved.

Specifically in response to celebrating feasts, the Holy Spirit said through Paul in Colossians 2

16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

Similar comments are made in Romans 14 if you want to check those out. Did that answer any questions?

Last edited:

mattfivefour

As far as comparing to the commandments, to me for both it comes down to whether we're observing them as a grateful response in freedom of if we're doing so to obtain favor based on our own effort. Nothing wrong with the former, but the latter comes back to trying to "earn" something with God and soon turns to empty religion.
This. :nod And this:
Our obedience to the rules set for the Church isn't to save us, but is an act of worship because of our gratitude for Christ saving us. As we are sanctified, we come closer to living in a manner pleasing to God... but it's always out of gratitude, not out of an obligation to work to stay saved.
Well said, both of you.

Círeth

Purry, roary, one.
I would go, for the cultural experience if nothing else. If it gets wacky, which I doubt, don't go back.
As for the feasts, I understand that the first three, the spring feasts, were fulfilled by Jesus at his first coming, the second, Passover, is symbolic of the church and the three fall feasts will be fulfilled by Jesus' second coming. All that is standard and is covered on this site in previous posts. However, I don't think it is necessary to celebrate any of the feasts as part of the Christian faith. The feasts and what they represent, are important historically, culturally and they point to Christ so in that sense they are useful, but in this age of grace, I don't believe they are necessary to observe.
I also don't believe it's necessary to salvation to observe the feasts but why not celebrate Passover? I don't see anything wrong with celebrating God sparing the firstborn sons of Israel and pointing the way to Christ at the same time.

RonJohnSilver

I also don't believe it's necessary to salvation to observe the feasts but why not celebrate Passover? I don't see anything wrong with celebrating God sparing the firstborn sons of Israel and pointing the way to Christ at the same time.

Nothing wrong in celebrating it if you choose to do so. If it has meaning for you, do so. If not, don't.

josiah7

This may sound strange but I woke up this morning thinking of this question:
If Our Messiah kept the Passover, why wouldn't we as His followers?

Back