Cussing

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
Been a while since I posted here specifically. It's good to be back. I gave you all a break from my constant questions, but I think it's time to turn up the heat again :lol

Topic for discussion this time: cussing. I used cussing to differentiate from "swearing" as in "I swear by the moon and stars" or "cursing" as in "may you always stub your toe on your sofa in the dark." I'm wondering about things that would get bleeped on the radio. Is it ever appropriate for a believer to swear, cuss, curse, whatever you want to call it?

I understand there are proper contexts for "damn" and "hell" like when you're discussing the consequences of not trusting in Jesus for forgiveness. I wouldn't count those as "swearing." If by the result of that prior curse I stub my toe at night and say "****," is that a sin?

It's not an issue for me personally besides "baby swears" like the occasional "crap" (but I'm also willing to change even that; tell me if I'm wrong!). But I have a good friend who is a baby believer who swears pretty consistently. She often comes to me for advice, so I'm preemptively increasing my knowledge in this area by asking the lovely, wise people here in case I'm asked about it. On a side note, if swearing is a sin, is it something I should try to bring up with my friend for the sake of her growth, or should I let God work it out of her without interfering? I've never been good at understanding when an appropriate time to give unsolicited advice is. Looking forward to the responses

Armor of Light

Praising my Savior all the day long!
I grew up in house that sometimes every other word was more than salty, dad was a sailor, hot tempered Italian, that didn't make it right for me to cuss but I did at times. After I got saved it seemed to drop from my vocabulary more and more, sometimes out of anger I would still sling a bomb, but would ask forgiveness and have actually asked the Lord for help with my tongue . What came to mind is out of the mouth comes what is in the heart, So I don't want that in my heart, want my witness to be strong and whatever comes out of my mouth to glorify Him.

Forgiven1

Watching and waiting
Swearing and using God's name in vain were the first things that the Lord worked on with me when I got saved. I felt very convicted about it.

I believe Ephesians 4:29 sums it up:
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

As to your friend's sanctification, personally, I'd leave that up to the Lord.
God bless you, Salluz!

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
It seems that as God has grown me in the grace and knowledge of Christ, a byproduct has been a desire to watch my language. So, as one is immersed in God's Word and looking for His direction, God will eventually convict in this area.

But I have a good friend who is a baby believer who swears pretty consistently. She often comes to me for advice, so I'm preemptively increasing my knowledge in this area by asking the lovely, wise people here in case I'm asked about it.

You might prayerfully consider simply being a patient good model (you won't be perfect, but growing in Christ yourself), addressing the things she brings up as that might be where the Holy Spirit is working in her right now (since she's a baby Christian).....and then pray for God to work with her on the cussing. God may cause her to ask you about this eventually or bring about a situation that would allow you to address it naturally, so it's good that you are prepared for this. But...perhaps waiting and working with where God seems to be working with her right now. Just my thoughts.

Big Brother Billy

WAITING ON JESUS
CURSEING WILL RUIN YOUR WITNESS TO OTHERS. I WORKED WITH A RCC MAN FOR YEARS. I WITNESSED TO HIM MANY TIMES. ONE DAY I SAID DAMN. HE SAID REAL LOUD I KNEW IT! IFELT LOWER THAN A SNAKE IN A WAGON RUT! HE NEVER CHANGED AS FOR AS I KNOW. IF YOU PROFESS JESUS PEOPLE WATCH LOOK AND LISTEN. ITOOK THE LORDS NAME IN VAIN ONE TIME. I FELT LIKE SOMETHING ON THE BOTTOM OF MY SHOE FOR A LONG TIME. I DIDN'T ASK FOR FORGIVENESS I BEGGED. MATHEW 5: 16 5:37 JUST 2 OF MANY. GOD BLESS YOU SISTER! YOU WILL REALY R F . I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU. Billy

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I grew up in a curse free home. That said we all get exposed to a lot of cussing and sometimes that exposure can lead to an unexpected thought or word forming in our mind or flying from our mouth when something happens that evokes a reaction. There are exclamations made with more innocent words that often sound very close to "cuss words" that I consider cussing as well and we'll find those substitute words written on posts in Christian message boards, especially when a Presidential election is coming up and there are some strongly opposing viewpoints.

Whenever I hear the Lord's name used in vain it leads me to pray for the perpetrator... Hearing that has always impacted me in such a way, and while hearing it makes me sad, I'm glad that it leads me to pray.

So while I'm 99.999% curse free, I'm not inclined to judge those with a more colorful vocabulary than I. I've met some people in the course of my life that seemed to be quite good and loving people, but had a vocabulary colorful enough to peel paint... I just figure they grew up with that and they probably don't even think about it.

Last edited:

AnewcreationinJesus

Soon and very soon ....
I used to swear and blaspheme and allsorts including actually yelling a swear word in the street when drunk in an argument once ... part of sanctification miracle is God has dealt with that :) Ephesians 4:29, God does such a miracle with us with the "before" and "after"!! Do you do Bible study with your friend, 'washing of the word" is good - am sure God will indeed work with your friend as he does all of us ...:)

JSTyler

I grew up in a curse free home. That said we all get exposed to a lot of cussing and sometimes that exposure can lead to an unexpected thought or word forming in our mind or flying from our mouth when something happens that evokes a reaction. There are exclamations made with more innocent words that often sound very close to "cuss words" that I consider cussing as well and we'll find those substitute words written on posts in Christian message boards, especially when a Presidential election is coming up and there are some strongly opposing viewpoints.

Whenever I hear the Lord's name used in vain it leads me to pray for the perpetrator... Hearing that has always impacted me in such a way, and while hearing it makes me sad, I'm glad that it leads me to pray.

So while I'm 99.999% curse free, I'm not inclined to judge those with a more colorful vocabulary than I. I've met some people in the course of my life that seemed to be quite good and loving people, but had a vocabulary colorful enough to peel paint... I just figure they grew up with that and they probably don't even think about it.

I'm exactly the "some people" in the bold/underlined bit. So first off, thanks brother/sister! That sort of grace is rare and greatly appreciated.

Getting the bitter pockets in the deep-deep dark wells cleansed from my fountain is the struggle of my life. I grew up in a christian home that was defined by a decidedly non-christian vernacular. I have no excuses, however. The words I use, reflexively or not can and do define my heart in the moment. I've heard preacher-teachers recommend using terms like "God bless" or "Praise the Lord" as replacements for the wirty-dords but that doesn't feel right at all. It simply feels like coating manure with whipped cream and calling it dessert. Who's hungry?

Time spent in God's word, in prayer and around good company is seemingly the best cure these days.

I'm sure glad that God is long suffering and Yeshua has covered the debt I otherwise would daily increase and compound.

Batfan7

I have to agree with this who say "Let God work in your friend first". While taking the Lord's name in vain is certainly a sin, God may have some more pressing concerns for his new infant that are more harmful to his/her spiritual growth. And if you press a baby Christian with too much legalistic rules too soon, you may create a legalistic Christian.

lenraff

Been a while since I posted here specifically. It's good to be back. I gave you all a break from my constant questions, but I think it's time to turn up the heat again :lol

Topic for discussion this time: cussing. I used cussing to differentiate from "swearing" as in "I swear by the moon and stars" or "cursing" as in "may you always stub your toe on your sofa in the dark." I'm wondering about things that would get bleeped on the radio. Is it ever appropriate for a believer to swear, cuss, curse, whatever you want to call it?

I understand there are proper contexts for "damn" and "hell" like when you're discussing the consequences of not trusting in Jesus for forgiveness. I wouldn't count those as "swearing." If by the result of that prior curse I stub my toe at night and say "****," is that a sin?

It's not an issue for me personally besides "baby swears" like the occasional "crap" (but I'm also willing to change even that; tell me if I'm wrong!). But I have a good friend who is a baby believer who swears pretty consistently. She often comes to me for advice, so I'm preemptively increasing my knowledge in this area by asking the lovely, wise people here in case I'm asked about it. On a side note, if swearing is a sin, is it something I should try to bring up with my friend for the sake of her growth, or should I let God work it out of her without interfering? I've never been good at understanding when an appropriate time to give unsolicited advice is. Looking forward to the responses
I used to give people the laundry list if they asked, now I tell them to learn to listen, to The Holy Spirit within. He is our guide.

Kaatje

My soul waits for the Lord, and in His Word I hope

Maybe you can read James 3 with your friend, or for your friend.
There it explaines so very eloquently as to what a tongue can do.

Back