What did Jesus mean when he said...

endofdays

What did Jesus mean when he said this...

Matthew 10:34King James Version (KJV)

34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

DaveS

Good morning,

What did Jesus mean when he said this...

34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

The expectation of the Jewish people was that the Messiah would regather all of Israel and bring peace and prosperity to Israel. The expectation is valid based on many prophecies concerning the millennial Kingdom... but the establishment of the Kingdom was conditioned upon Israel's repentance and acceptance of Jesus as the Messiah. As one reads through Matthew they'll notice that Jesus refuses to associate Himself with many of the teachings and traditions that the leadership of Israel had adopted and had made sacred or equal to scripture. Based on His refusal to accept these traditions the leadership of Israel also refused to accept Him as the Messiah. Some of Israel of course did accept Him as Lord and Messiah... but it indeed put them at variance with the others who rejected the claim of Jesus. When Jesus began proclaiming that the Kingdom was near to Israel He was forcing them to a decision based on His claim to be the prophesied Messiah, and therefore not bringing peace but a sword.

Paul explains that the refusal of Israel to accept Jesus as the Messiah was for the benefit of all (Rom. 11:30-32).

O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out! (Rom. 11:33)

I hope this helps a little... What I briefly and clumsily described is only a small fraction of the greater picture that can be revealed through a more thorough study.

Kind regards,
Dave

endofdays

acceptedinthebeloved

Here's how I understand it.

We should look at this verse also in the context of what it says in the verses above this one, in Matt 10:5, 6 -

5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: 6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

... and then also view the parallel passage in Lk 12:49-59 (noting that that passage follows a passage regarding His Second Coming to the earth, Lk 12:36-48). As I see it, then, this is something that will also occur during the future tribulation period, leading up to His Second Coming to the earth [see Matt 10:22, 23]... and pertains to Israel in particular, but then spreading out to those to whom they will be preaching "this gospel of the kingdom" (Matt 24:14, especially during the first half of the tribulation period; Matt 26:13; etc), like those "of the nations" shown in Rev 7:9, 14, who believe their message (same for Matt 25:31-34, 40--those who will give aid and service to "the least of these My brethren" during the trib, who "will be hated of all nations for My name's sake" during that time period).

Presently, we are "ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ's behalf, be reconciled to God." 2 Cor 5:20 :) ["for our citizenship is in heaven" Phil 3:20-21]

Last edited:

dave-o

One thing it means is that Jesus was certainly not some social justice warrior who came to bring equality. He came not to change the world but to remove out of the world all those who would answer His call that in Him they would find true and everlasting peace with God.

Andrew

Well known member
Reading that verse in context..

Matthew 10:32-39
“Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven. Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. For I have come to ‘set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law’; and ‘a man’s enemies will be those of his own household.’ He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it.”

The gospel brings in a division between those who accept it and those who reject it.

athenasius

The gospel brings in a division between those who accept it and those who reject it.
Absolutely. Counting the cost of serving God sometimes means family members will hate you and be mean. In muslim families they will kill you if they can. In many conservative orthodox Jewish families they hold a funeral for you and from then on you are as good as dead to them.

Back