When was I saved?

georgeO

Was it at ten years old when I walked down the church isle during alter call at first Baptist church? Or was it at eighteen years old when I wanted to make sure that I was saved and did it again? Or was it one of a dozen or so times that I have confessed that I believe Jesus died for my sins and rose from the dead for me? I really don't know when I was actually saved. I have believed in God and Jesus as my Saviour as far back as I can remember. Don't misunderstand me, I was and still am a sinner. But I'm curious about what it takes to being saved. Some seem to think that one needs to read and study scriptures and study the Bible in order to be saved. Well at ten years old I didn't do that but I believe that I was saved at that time. Although it has taken fifty years of Bible studies for me to get to where I am now. But some other people that were saved at whatever age does not study the Bible. But that doesn't mean they are not saved , right? So what am I trying to say? Does a simple belief in Jesus as your saviour qualify for being saved?

Andrew

Well known member
The Bible teaches that justification is by faith alone. It is seen in Abraham, of whom it is said, he "believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness." (Romans 4:3). We cannot be made right on the basis of our works or efforts - the prophet Isaiah says that "all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags." (Isaiah 64:6).

Abraham believed not just that God existed, but had faith that God was able to carry out promises made to him in spite of the circumstances in which Abraham was found (Genesis 15:6).

It was on the basis of that faith that God reckoned (or counted) Abraham righteous. We are reckoned righteous in the same way, as we believe not just that God exists, but that He is able to forgive us our sins because Jesus met every righteous requirement of God when He died in our place on Calvary's cross.

Len

But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart. 1 Samuel 16:7 (KJV).

Hol

Worships Him
George, we have a series of sermons on the doctrine of salvation, called Soteriology, in the sermons section. I know they are lengthy, but maybe you can find the assurance of your salvation as you read through them. They are from a reliable source, Pastor Andy Woods.

Back