Israeli archaeologists present clues about Jesus' life and death

Almost Heaven

There's good news," said Gideon Avni, head of the archaeological division of the Israel Antiquities Authority. "Today we can reconstruct very accurately many, many aspects of the daily life of the time of Christ."

Israel is one of the most excavated places on the planet. Some 300 digs take place each year, including about 50 foreign expeditions from as far away as the United States and Japan, the Antiquities Authority said.

About 40,000 artifacts are dug up in Israel each year. A third of all the antiquities found attest to the ancient Christian presence in the Holy Land, Avni said. Historians now know how long it took to travel between cities and villages where Jesus preached, and what those places looked like at the time.

Avni said knowledge of the period has advanced over the past 20 years. "We can reconstruct precisely how the country looked," he said.

In a brightly lit, 5,000-square-meter (54,000-square-foot) warehouse crammed with stacks of ancient jugs and pottery sherds -- what the Antiquities Authority calls its "Ali Baba cave" of ancient treasures -- officials set up a simple white table with finds from the time of Jesus.

There were well-preserved limestone drinking cups and dishes, widely used by Jews in the Holy Land at the time as part of their strict practice to ensure the ritual purity of their food. There was an intricately decorated limestone burial box belonging to a scion of the high priest Caiaphas, known in the New Testament for his involvement in delivering Jesus to the Roman authorities who crucified him. In ancient times, families would gather the bones of the deceased and place them into boxes known as ossuaries.

They also showed off a replica of a major artifact located in the Israel Museum in Jerusalem -- a heel bone pierced by an iron nail with wood fragments on each end, discovered in a Jewish burial box in northern Jerusalem dating back to the first century C.E. To date, it's the only evidence found of a victim of Roman crucifixion buried according to Jewish custom.

The artifact has helped archaeologists reconstruct how the man was crucified -- with his feet nailed to the sides of the cross. Avni said Jesus may have been crucified in the same manner, unlike the way the crucifixion is depicted in traditional Christian art.
Read More....http://www.israelhayom.com/site/newsletter_article.php?id=41189

Brother Albert R.

Jesus loved us and said we should Love our enemies
There's good news," said Gideon Avni, head of the archaeological division of the Israel Antiquities Authority. "Today we can reconstruct very accurately many, many aspects of the daily life of the time of Christ."

Israel is one of the most excavated places on the planet. Some 300 digs take place each year, including about 50 foreign expeditions from as far away as the United States and Japan, the Antiquities Authority said.

About 40,000 artifacts are dug up in Israel each year. A third of all the antiquities found attest to the ancient Christian presence in the Holy Land, Avni said. Historians now know how long it took to travel between cities and villages where Jesus preached, and what those places looked like at the time.

Avni said knowledge of the period has advanced over the past 20 years. "We can reconstruct precisely how the country looked," he said.

In a brightly lit, 5,000-square-meter (54,000-square-foot) warehouse crammed with stacks of ancient jugs and pottery sherds -- what the Antiquities Authority calls its "Ali Baba cave" of ancient treasures -- officials set up a simple white table with finds from the time of Jesus.

There were well-preserved limestone drinking cups and dishes, widely used by Jews in the Holy Land at the time as part of their strict practice to ensure the ritual purity of their food. There was an intricately decorated limestone burial box belonging to a scion of the high priest Caiaphas, known in the New Testament for his involvement in delivering Jesus to the Roman authorities who crucified him. In ancient times, families would gather the bones of the deceased and place them into boxes known as ossuaries.

They also showed off a replica of a major artifact located in the Israel Museum in Jerusalem -- a heel bone pierced by an iron nail with wood fragments on each end, discovered in a Jewish burial box in northern Jerusalem dating back to the first century C.E. To date, it's the only evidence found of a victim of Roman crucifixion buried according to Jewish custom.

The artifact has helped archaeologists reconstruct how the man was crucified -- with his feet nailed to the sides of the cross. Avni said Jesus may have been crucified in the same manner, unlike the way the crucifixion is depicted in traditional Christian art.
Read More....http://www.israelhayom.com/site/newsletter_article.php?id=41189
Thank you Almost Heaven
Archaeologists help confirm the bible yet again...no surprise to me. As I was reading this article I had a thought flash through my mind, that for a moment, could this heel bone belong to Jesus? Then the bible kicked that thought out of my brain when I was reminded of His resurrection. Of course that heel bone could not belong to Jesus, His body was changed into a glorified body. And at this time of year we should never forget the moment that changed history for humanity..."the resurrection". Paul himself states that if there is no resurrection we are the most miserable of all people. "Wow", Most Miserable...I think Paul hit the nail on the head, because without the resurrection we have no future hope, no reason or purpose in being a Christian. We are like everyone else who has no hope, if there is no resurrection...if Jesus never rose, if my first thought was right and that was His heel bone with the nail still attached. But wait....

God the Son, Jesus, on the cross died for our sin.

On the third day, from the dead Jesus did rise.

Seen by His Apostles, that now He was alive.

Preached, by His disciples, the forgiveness of sin.

Everyone is to repent and trust only in Him.

Life will be yours, through His Holy Spirit within.

1Cor.15:1 Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. 2 By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.3 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that he appeared to Cephas, and then to the Twelve. 6 After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. 7 Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, 8 and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born.9 For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10 But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them—yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me. 11 Whether, then, it is I or they, this is what we preach, and this is what you believed.

Luke 24:45 Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. 46 He told them, "This is what is written: The Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, 47 and repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48 You are witnesses of these things. 49 I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high."

God bless all of you here at RF
your brother in Christ,
Brother Albert

Last edited:
Back