Alex Baldwin charged with Involuntary Manslaughter

Andy C

About time:

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainme...aughter-fatal-rust-shooting-district-attorney

New Mexico First Judicial District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies announced charges in the death of Halyna Hutchins.

Alec Baldwin was charged with involuntary manslaughter, according to the district attorney. The armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed was also charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Before announcing the decision, the district attorney's office spent time reviewing a comprehensive report submitted by the Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office.

It's been over a year since the cinematographer was killed on the New Mexico movie set.

Halyna died when a gun Alec Baldwin was holding fired, while practicing a scene on Oct. 21, 2021. The group had been rehearsing in a small church on the Bonanza Creek Ranch set.

The Santa Fe County Sheriff's Department has spent the last year investigating how live rounds made it onto the movie set. Armorer Hannah Guiterrez-Reed and assistant director Dave Halls were the only other crew members believed to have handled the gun that fired on set.

"Never in a million years did Hannah think that live rounds could have been in the ‘dummy’ round box," one of Guiterrez-Reed's attorneys, Jason Bowles, said in a statement shared with Fox News shortly after the fatal accident. "Who put those in there and why is the central question."

Halls allegedly handed Baldwin a .45 revolver, telling him that it was "cold," or safe. Prior to that, Gutierrez-Reed spun the cylinder to show Halls what was in the gun, her lawyer said.

Baldwin has maintained that he did not pull the trigger of the gun – once during a prime-time interview shortly following the deadly shooting and again on a podcast episode. The actor originally said he had pulled the hammer of the gun back as far as he could and released it, but did not pull the trigger

Carmack-Altwies named Baldwin specifically in her request for emergency funding to prosecute the case. The DA explained that she anticipated prosecuting up to four individuals –possibly including Baldwin.

"The ‘Rust’ prosecution could be potentially be prosecutions from one (1) to four (4) defendants," Carmack-Altwies wrote in paperwork filed for an emergency grant. "One of the possible defendants is well-known movie actor Alec Baldwin."

A wrongful death lawsuit was filed against Alec Baldwin and other key members of the production on Feb. 15, 2022.
The lawsuit named Baldwin and others who "are responsible for the safety on the set" and called out "reckless behavior and cost-cutting" that led to the death of Hutchins, according to the family's lawyer.

Matthew Hutchins' attorneys interviewed witnesses before filing and created a video compiling evidence for the wrongful death lawsuit. In the video shared at a press conference, Matthew's lawyers reiterated claims from crew members that the "Rust" set was unsafe. The lawsuit claimed that Baldwin, who was also a producer on the film, and other "Rust" crew and cast committed "major breaches" of safety on the set.
The cinematographer's family sued for punitive damages and funeral and burial expenses among other things originally to be determined at trial. However, on Oct. 5, Halyna's husband announced the civil lawsuit had been settled pending court approval

Following the conclusion of the civil lawsuit, Matthew revealed that filming of "Rust" would continue in January 2023. The western film will not return to New Mexico, where Halyna's death occurred.

"The production of ‘Rust’ will not return to New Mexico," Melina Spadone, attorney for Rust Movie Productions LLC, told Fox News Digital. "The production is considering other locations, including in California, but no decisions have been made."

Although it hasn't been confirmed whether Baldwin will re-join the production, Matthew's initial announcement claimed the production would resume with "original principal players."

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
About time:

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainme...aughter-fatal-rust-shooting-district-attorney

New Mexico First Judicial District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies announced charges in the death of Halyna Hutchins.

Alec Baldwin was charged with involuntary manslaughter, according to the district attorney. The armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed was also charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Before announcing the decision, the district attorney's office spent time reviewing a comprehensive report submitted by the Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office.

It's been over a year since the cinematographer was killed on the New Mexico movie set.

Halyna died when a gun Alec Baldwin was holding fired, while practicing a scene on Oct. 21, 2021. The group had been rehearsing in a small church on the Bonanza Creek Ranch set.

The Santa Fe County Sheriff's Department has spent the last year investigating how live rounds made it onto the movie set. Armorer Hannah Guiterrez-Reed and assistant director Dave Halls were the only other crew members believed to have handled the gun that fired on set.

"Never in a million years did Hannah think that live rounds could have been in the ‘dummy’ round box," one of Guiterrez-Reed's attorneys, Jason Bowles, said in a statement shared with Fox News shortly after the fatal accident. "Who put those in there and why is the central question."

Halls allegedly handed Baldwin a .45 revolver, telling him that it was "cold," or safe. Prior to that, Gutierrez-Reed spun the cylinder to show Halls what was in the gun, her lawyer said.

Baldwin has maintained that he did not pull the trigger of the gun – once during a prime-time interview shortly following the deadly shooting and again on a podcast episode. The actor originally said he had pulled the hammer of the gun back as far as he could and released it, but did not pull the trigger

Carmack-Altwies named Baldwin specifically in her request for emergency funding to prosecute the case. The DA explained that she anticipated prosecuting up to four individuals –possibly including Baldwin.

"The ‘Rust’ prosecution could be potentially be prosecutions from one (1) to four (4) defendants," Carmack-Altwies wrote in paperwork filed for an emergency grant. "One of the possible defendants is well-known movie actor Alec Baldwin."

A wrongful death lawsuit was filed against Alec Baldwin and other key members of the production on Feb. 15, 2022.
The lawsuit named Baldwin and others who "are responsible for the safety on the set" and called out "reckless behavior and cost-cutting" that led to the death of Hutchins, according to the family's lawyer.

Matthew Hutchins' attorneys interviewed witnesses before filing and created a video compiling evidence for the wrongful death lawsuit. In the video shared at a press conference, Matthew's lawyers reiterated claims from crew members that the "Rust" set was unsafe. The lawsuit claimed that Baldwin, who was also a producer on the film, and other "Rust" crew and cast committed "major breaches" of safety on the set.
The cinematographer's family sued for punitive damages and funeral and burial expenses among other things originally to be determined at trial. However, on Oct. 5, Halyna's husband announced the civil lawsuit had been settled pending court approval

Following the conclusion of the civil lawsuit, Matthew revealed that filming of "Rust" would continue in January 2023. The western film will not return to New Mexico, where Halyna's death occurred.

"The production of ‘Rust’ will not return to New Mexico," Melina Spadone, attorney for Rust Movie Productions LLC, told Fox News Digital. "The production is considering other locations, including in California, but no decisions have been made."

Although it hasn't been confirmed whether Baldwin will re-join the production, Matthew's initial announcement claimed the production would resume with "original principal players."
So is he spending any time in jail or just a fine to pay. It mentions the Rust movie will resume, and doesn't know if Alex will be in it. That sounds like he isn't spending time in jail.

Andy C

So is he spending any time in jail or just a fine to pay. It mentions the Rust movie will resume, and doesn't know if Alex will be in it. That sounds like he isn't spending time in jail.
No, he was never in jail, he has yet to be in court. His day is coming.

Why would he be in jail, because before today, he was not even charged for a crime.

Given all the circumstances of how weapons are handled on a movie set, Im skeptical if he will be convicted, but I hope he is.

lightofmylife

No, he was never in jail, he has yet to be in court. His day is coming.

Why would he be in jail, because before today, he was not even charged for a crime.

Given all the circumstances of how weapons are handled on a movie set, Im skeptical if he will be convicted, but I hope he is.
What I meant is they ruled involuntary manslaughter, and I thought this meant he had been in court. I also thought that the charged with involuntary manslaughter was either sending him to jail or a heavy fine. I didn't believe he was already in jail.

pixelpusher

I think it was a tragic accident because of ignorance, complacency or assumption, doubt he meant to kill her. They shouldn't have had live rounds on the set period, let alone target practicing out back with stage guns. How you even have a live firearm for a set or practice is beyond me, it should be appearance only, entirely incapable of firing IMO.

lightofmylife

I think it was a tragic accident because of ignorance, complacency or assumption, doubt he meant to kill her. They shouldn't have had live rounds on the set period, let alone target practicing out back with stage guns. How you even have a live firearm for a set or practice is beyond me, it should be appearance only, entirely incapable of firing IMO.
It is strange that the gun had a live round in it. It sounds like someone did this on purpose. I would think there would be fingerprints on the bullet unless the person that put it in there was wearing gloves. I don't understand why the gun was pointed in the direction of the lady Hutchins. The gun should have been checked before using anyway.

GotGrace

3 months in a Connecticut rehabilitation facility named “The Puxatawney Community Assistance and Developmental Outreach Center”.

Summer months, of course. No walls, released at night to go home.

Finger painting and trash clean up.
That might ne better than going home to hilarious.
He needs to stay away from her anyway or they’re going to end up with 20 kids.

Umbrella Girl

Now we see through a glass, darkly; (1 Cor 13:12)
What exactly was Baldwin’s responsibility regarding the handling of that gun? Was he supposed to check it for live ammunition himself, or was he expected to rely on crew members to ensure the gun was safe for handling?

I also don’t understand how he can say that he wasn’t the one who fired that gun…

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...
Ist rule of gun safety: The gun is loaded. Treat it that way.

You pick one up, you assume the responsibility for it. Even blanks are lethal.

The Armorer has the ultimate responsibility, but each user plays a part.

As for fanning a single action, if you don't know what I'm talking about, you have no reason to even touch a western revolver.

The hope is a just court can examine the evidence and render justice and mercy to all involved.

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...
I don't know, but I'd be looking at the armourer. That person should have a case with the firearms and the only one with the key. Prop guns should be the kind without a chamber and easily recognized, but even they need to be secured.

IF an actor, I would personally supervise the placing of blanks in the revolver, and it would not leave my person until transferred back to the armourer.

Of course this is reff'ing from the bench in hindsight, which is why you need safe procedures EVERYONE has to follow "religiously".

Hopefully the industry has already taken measures to eliminate this kind of thing.

I watched the LOTR [Lord of the Rings] extras and even when launching arrows, there is a process and an armourer to follow.
Any fail and you will likely get clobbered - disarmed- and hauled off.

I suspect our American familiarity with firearms was one of the root causes of lax rules or carelessness.

penbrat

If Mr. Baldwin had shown any remorse or tried to be more cooperative with authorities when this first happened (at least from what I have read he did neither) then I would be more inclined to feel sorry for him. Praying that the truth comes out and God's justice is done.

Back