These ‘Moonwalker’ Shoes Let You Walk at the Speed of Your Run

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Betting criminals will be loading up on these. Maybe police should, too :tappingfoot

Wonder if TPTB will impose "walking license" requirements like driver's licenses :mad

Wonder if they'll be outlawed for military physical fitness tests :hehee

These ‘Moonwalker’ Shoes Let You Walk at the Speed of Your Run​

By Andy Corbley
Jan 6, 2023

"This summer, a pair of strap-on shoes will be available that allow you to walk at the speed of a run.

Aptly titled, “Moonwalkers” a set of eight wheels per shoe move your feet as if you were on a moving walkway at an airport.

The obvious question is, ‘how is that different from a rollerskate?’ with the answer being that the wheels move only when you do, and only when you reach a regular walking stride.

On stairs, entering or exiting public transit, or in crowded areas, the wheels won’t move a millimeter.

Designed by an American tech start-up called Shift Robotics, they accelerate normal walking pace to around 6.8 mph, around the clip of a comfortable run. Their crack team from the Carnegie Mellon Institute consisted of jet propulsion engineers, race car technicians, and running shoe designers.

“I asked myself why I never walked to work – and it’s not just me, a lot of people don’t rely on walking, which is surprising considering it’s much safer, easier and more convenient, plus it’s better for the environment,” Zhang Xunjie, founder of Shift Robotics, said in a statement.

“The problem is that walking is just too slow and inefficient. So I made it my mission to enhance walking instead of replacing it”.

More
https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/these-moonwalker-shoes-let-you-walk-at-the-speed-of-your-run/

Andy C

Watching a video on these shoes was interesting. However, if Im walking somewhere, its for exercise, not trying to get there faster. These shoes would’ve come in handy a few years back. My wife and I walked 2.5 miles to the Fred Meyer store for some light shopping. I had a backpack for the return trip, so I stayed outside the store while my wife went inside. I expected her to buy a few smaller items for me to carry back. She came out with a watermelon, pineapple and a few other items. :eek2 But, Im still lean, not as mean, not as green, but still a Marine, I loaded the pack, and begrudgingly humped it back home.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
They have a user weight limit of 220 pounds. Given the condition of mankind these days, they might need to work on bumping that number up. They also have a max range of 5-7 miles. That's not very far. Like an electric car, some can manage with the short range on a charge, but people who walk for fitness and just because they like walking will find these fall short on range. Each strap on moonwalker is 4.2 pounds.

I think it could be very useful for college students on campuses that are spread out, Especially if students can charge them while they're in class to ensure they stay functional throughout the day. They'd be a lot of fun on paved trails that follow rivers or lake sides, but for that you might wish you had more range. Might be real useful for someone in a job that requires lots of walking... I'm thinking along the lines of an Amazon warehouse.

They seem pricey but there's quite a bit of high tech built in to them.

JSTyler

Look up the One Wheel. It's the same idea, sort of, but in the skate board realm. Look into the fails resultant from the 'tech' limitations, human error (stupidity), and physics. They have a limiter that can kick in if you hit the top-'no-no'-speed and in some cases can toss the rider head-over-teacups at around 24 mph.

It's almost certain that these shoes will suffer from similar issues. I have to admit that these look like they're a lot of fun, but long ago I resigned from being a human guinea pig. Also, in my rock climbing, mt. biking days best shape the 220 limit would be just a bit out of my reach. Now, that weight goal though attainable is not worth the effort and denial it would require.

Our e-bikes can really move, however if the e-tech fails, we're still on a bike and can brake and coast safely to a stop.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Look up the One Wheel. It's the same idea, sort of, but in the skate board realm. Look into the fails resultant from the 'tech' limitations, human error (stupidity), and physics. They have a limiter that can kick in if you hit the top-'no-no'-speed and in some cases can toss the rider head-over-teacups at around 24 mph.

It's almost certain that these shoes will suffer from similar issues. I have to admit that these look like they're a lot of fun, but long ago I resigned from being a human guinea pig. Also, in my rock climbing, mt. biking days best shape the 220 limit would be just a bit out of my reach. Now, that weight goal though attainable is not worth the effort and denial it would require.

Our e-bikes can really move, however if the e-tech fails, we're still on a bike and can brake and coast safely to a stop.

If we fall off a well-trained horse (or mule or donkey), he or she will go for help :lol A camel, not so much :eek :lol

Back