Prices Already Rising

mphsmom

I use to be able to spend about $250-$300 at Aldi's, and we would be set for a good 3 months (including laundry detergent, paper products, etc). The last 2 times I went shopping there, I spent over $500, got far less than I usually do, and we were scrounging for things to eat after 3 weeks.

TimeWarpWife

Just looked at Costco for toilet paper I'd previously bought ~ it's called Wind Soft and the last time I purchased it about a year or so ago, it was $50.99 for 96 rolls. Now, it's $67.99 for 96 rolls. Way too expensive, so dh opted to buy some from a company he purchases work cleaning supplies from, 96 rolls for $44. It's not as nice as the Wind Soft, but hey, it's toilet paper.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Just looked at Costco for toilet paper I'd previously bought ~ it's called Wind Soft and the last time I purchased it about a year or so ago, it was $50.99 for 96 rolls. Now, it's $67.99 for 96 rolls. Way too expensive, so dh opted to buy some from a company he purchases work cleaning supplies from, 96 rolls for $44. It's not as nice as the Wind Soft, but hey, it's toilet paper.

I have travel bidets at the house. If TP becomes too expensive to use without them first, or just plain unavailable, I'll have to explain to my very elderly Father how to use one :eek :eek: :apostasy :mad :banning

Andy C

Last year at Fred Meyers Alaska they offered prime rib roasts for $6.77 a pound sale price. This year they're offering the same for $10.99 a pound. That spread is more revealing of actual inflation than the numbers the Feds feed us.
On average, being that you live in Alaska, and shipping food items there is expensive, what percent higher (take a guess) in prices do you pay now, as compared to your new home? I know some place's in Alaska claim to be 20 percent higher than the lower 48.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
On average, being that you live in Alaska, and shipping food items there is expensive, what percent higher (take a guess) in prices do you pay now, as compared to your new home? I know some place's in Alaska claim to be 20 percent higher than the lower 48.

I'm not familiar enough with the Cheyenne market yet to say. In Alaska somethings can be almost the same cost as many places in the lower 48, while others can be double the cost or more. It just depends, I guess. Our Fred Meyers ad is pretty much the same as the ad in the lower 48, but the prices differ by location. I'd be curious to know that that prime rib roast sale price is in Eugen for example. Probably not too much lower. Fastfood and restaurant prices can be much higher here, especially since most of the places won't accept coupons or even in-app coupons.

I've always felt that a 10% bump or so in prices because of shipping was more than fair, but beyond that I feel like we're being taken advantage of.

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
Went to grocery yesterday.
Salad dressing went up even on sale. Use to be $4/2. Now it's $5/2.
Pop tarts went up.
Pie crusts (2 in a pk) were $7/2!!!
Even store brand soda went up but not as much as name brand. I use store brand for most everything.

I did find a small pack of pork chops on mark down. Plan to fry those tonight.

fl2007rn

Last year at Fred Meyers Alaska they offered prime rib roasts for $6.77 a pound sale price. This year they're offering the same for $10.99 a pound. That spread is more revealing of actual inflation than the numbers the Feds feed us.
So true! I know it is way more than the 8% that the media is saying. Every item I buy is at least $1 or $2 more than it was a year or two ago. I feel bad for a young family that is trying to raise a bunch of little kids now.

Endangered

The price of the eggs was a little more than $8.00. I dont think they are free range. I like to fix my wife and I four scrambled eggs in the morning. That just got a lot more expensive.
We are living on Soc Sec and a little retirement income. Budget is tight and gittin tighter every day.

fl2007rn

The price of the eggs was a little more than $8.00. I dont think they are free range. I like to fix my wife and I four scrambled eggs in the morning. That just got a lot more expensive.
We are living on Soc Sec and a little retirement income. Budget is tight and gittin tighter every day.
I am lucky I have about 4 different grocery stores within 5 miles of my house. I check the weekly flyers on-line for their sales and BOGO offers and find deals that way. I hope you could find better prices than $8 for 18 eggs. That means each egg is 44 cents!

ChildofLight

I never look at eggs since I have hens. I did look at butter this morning and yes it’s slightly under $5 for a pound and that’s the store brand. I had stocked up on it so I have several blocks in the fridge. I’ve quit making cakes that use a lot of butter and eggs.

TimeWarpWife

Back in August 2021, I bought several boxes of Morton's Natural Sea Salt for $1.98 each at Walmart. Today I realized I only have one box left, went online to check the price ~ $2.94 for the same box, which is almost a 50% increase in price. :faint2 Well, it's back to good old iodized salt, same size box of the Equate brand for .54 a box.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I never look at eggs since I have hens.

Have you ever estimated the cost of each of your eggs based on the cost of feed and how long a bag of feed lasts? I know hens can find their own food too, but most folks feed them...

Once when I was in the country a good ways from the village of Florian, Colombia, staying with a family while I built a house for them. I asked how much corn they tossed out to their chickens each day and did the math and suggested that it cost them more to keep a chicken than it would to purchase one at market if they ever wanted to eat chicken. Following the blank stare the lady asked me "what would like be like without chickens underfoot?

Later I pulled out all that lady's remaining teeth. Not as an sort of punishment mind you. I practiced dentistry down there and she had about 1/4 of her teeth left and wanted them out. She did benefit from lidocaine :). I think she's the only one I ever pulled a tooth from when the tooth wasn't rotting. While I was building their house they cooked a chicken for me one night. That was a treat, and they kept me well stocked with guarapo while I was working.

Back