Rapture Soothsaying

lismore

I personally have family members who cite the failed dates as a reason why they don't believe in Christianity.
Yes. I think that is the purpose of the false prophecies concerning dates, to turn people off the gospel. As Peter says, 'In the last days scoffers will come'. Many will scoff because of a failed prediction they heard, trying to use this as an excuse. It's enough to know that the day is soon- My righteousness draws near speedily, my salvation is on the way, and my arm will bring justice to the nations (Isaiah 51:5). God Bless :)

RaptureReady

Dancing with my Father God in Fields of Grace
I cringe every time I read or hear date setting for the rapture. IMHO, you can take it to the bank that it won't happen on the set date, as has been proven time after time. It does nothing to lend credibility to Christians and our faith, not to mention it's a mockery to the Lord. JMHO

DWB

Is this post suggesting Christians are under the Mosaic Law? Those laws were crucified with Christ, and Christians are free from the bondage of that Law, which no man but One could obey completely.

“There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead” (Deuteronomy 18:10-11,NKJV).

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Is this post suggesting Christians are under the Mosaic Law? Those laws were crucified with Christ, and Christians are free from the bondage of that Law, which no man but One could obey completely.

“There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead” (Deuteronomy 18:10-11,NKJV).

No, it is suggesting we are under the Law of Common Sense. When the Bible calls something a mystery or does not tell us exactly when something is going to happen, quit trying to say otherwise by setting dates. Do not inadvertently call God a liar by telling us you know when the rapture when God calls it a mystery.

CaryAnn

Oh my, what a great conversation! I know some who believe the rapture will happen during the tribulation or after the tribulation. I have not heard anyone not believing in some sort of taking up of believers. As for me, I just read the Bible and see the signs it tells us to look for. As the time comes closer the days get more wicked. The time of Jesus' coming may be soon or may be a long time off; but as believers our eyes should be on Jesus alone. I think being surprised by His return will be exciting enough.
May the Lord bless you and keep you this week. Shine with the light of Jesus so those around you will desire to know your secrete.

MapleLeaf

"Soothsaying" is such a fun word to say but a horrible word to practice. I wish people wouldn't bother. I'm even super annoyed with those who keep teaching The Rapture and/or The Second Coming has to be during one of the feasts. And part of that is because I think it is very important that Christ fulfilled all of those feasts during His first coming and death on the cross otherwise we'd still be under some parts of the old covenant. It feels borderline heretical to suggest Jesus didn't complete His work on the cross. I know the Old Testament does have a lot of second coming prophecies but the payment of sins is already complete.

soundingthealarm

Noah had NEVER seen a flood, had never seen it rain BUT was in constant preparation for a time that God told Him to prepare for.

I'm soon to turn 55, and since about the age of 8 years old, from watching a movie on a Sunday Night in a little small town Baptist Church about the Rapture (A Thief in the Night) I've been eagerly waiting for the Blessed Hope and there have been many times I believed it was more and more imminent and yet ...it's always been NOT YET and during that NOT YET time, I've seen many family members born into this world and then born again ready for the next, seen friends and that would of had to live through a time we believe that is coming THAT now because they came to saving faith, they are "rapture ready." So its been a tremendously good thing that it hasn't yet happened for countless numbers of souls that have been added daily to the number. BUT there did come a day in Noah's life that what he had only prepared for, what He had been told was coming DID come to be and it came "suddenly."

Can you imagine date setters in Noah's day, like half way through the assembly of the Ark? The angst that would of caused Noah lolol

I live in Tornado Alley and one of the things that truly gets my attention is when seasoned/professional meteorologist begin to warn with a conviction and true sense of urgency to take shelter!!!

The Hurricane heading to Florida, there's an urgency in those warning and every meteorologist worth their salt are warning and watching.

What has me excited is the growing alarm over the convergence of things all transpiring at the same time by seasoned eschatological ministers of sound reputation. IE Hal Lindsey and Terry James and Chris and Pete and many others we'd hold in high regard, there's a growing sense of urgency and we are told we will see the day approaching and that we should be able to discern the signs of the times but until that shout comes, just staying the course of occupying til He comes.

Date setters are very much like Sanballat to Nehemiah's Wall, a distraction from us working while it is still day, for there is coming an hour no man can work.

I do NOT know how any minister can get into the pulpit or blog or write a date when we are told even Jesus doesn't know? lolol

BUT thank God all of His Promises are "yes and amen" and that He is "not a man that He should lie" and He has promised us Revelation 3:10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.

When I was a kid I'd sit and listen to my "church pianist Mom" practice this song for Sunday Service and its getting more and more urgent with each passing day.

Troublesome times are here, filling men's hearts with fear
Freedom we all hold dear now is at stake
Humbling your hearts to God saves from the chastening rod
Seek the way pilgrims trod, Christians awake
Jesus is coming soon, morning or night or noon
Many will meet their doom, trumpets will sound
All of the dead shall rise, righteous meet in the skies
Going where no one dies, heavenward bound
Troubles will soon be o'er, happy forevermore
When we meet on that shore, free from all care
Rising up in the sky, telling this world goodbye
Homeward we then shall fly, glory to share
Heavenward bound, heavenward bound.

*******Jesus is coming soon by Bill Phillips

\O/ Looking Up!!

DWB

No, it is suggesting we are under the Law of Common Sense. When the Bible calls something a mystery or does not tell us exactly when something is going to happen, quit trying to say otherwise by setting dates. Do not inadvertently call God a liar by telling us you know when the rapture when God calls it a mystery.
I certainly have not set any dates nor called God a liar and I resent the implication. My comment was only to state we are not under Mosiac law.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I certainly have not set any dates nor called God a liar and I resent the implication. My comment was only to state we are not under Mosiac law.

I know that you have not done those things. My post was not calling you out, but it was rather calling out those who do those things. I'm sorry for the confusion there. Maybe I could have worded that better there or been more clear. :thinking

LiCaMi

I understand folks being eager for the Rapture but that date setting is beyond me. If I see an article with date setting, I skip it.
Likewise. Even thought I am extremely guilty of pointing out that Israel is our super-sign. When I caught an article rapture ready mentioned "messiah is here" in Israel, immediately my thoughts were screaming "not my Messiah" because Jesus already warned us about that type of deception in book of Matthew 24. Indeed Israel is our super-sign that should push us to keep preaching in Jesus name and His gospel louder. Louder the deception goes the loudest His gospel should be preach.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I remember "back then," so many were saying the Rapture would happen 40 years after Israel became a country, and then how disappointing when 1988 came and went. And all those people with egg on their faces and eat crow :lol

If I, as a believer, was "just" disappointed, how much worse when a nonbeliever sees pronouncements not come true.

Date-setting is not only unBiblical, it besmirches the reputation and witness of the Church, and its ministry to believers.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, we should not set dates, but know the SEASON of his return. Season implies a general timeframe, not a specific date.

Right. We can say the rapture is "soon" or " around the corner" or something like that to get people excited about the Lord's return especially in light of the rebirth of Israel which is the number one sign of the end times.

But when we give specific dates like Harold Camping, etc. then we make Christianity look foolish to the world.

We need to be responsible and mature with our witness to the world. JMHO. That's what we have always tried to do here at Rapture Forums. :thumbup

Christianos

1 Th 5:1 But concerning the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need that I should write to you. 2 For you yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so comes as a thief in the night. 3 For when they say, “Peace and safety!” then sudden destruction comes upon them, as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. And they shall not escape. 4 But you, brethren, are not in darkness, so that this Day should overtake you as a thief.

What day? The Day of the Lord. A.K.A., the Tribulation. You can put that date-setting story on its side by speculating on the timing of the Day or the Lord. Honestly, I'm guessing that speculation to that date is also against forum rules (not that I have any special insight). All we know is that the Rapture happens before the Day of the Lord. And actually, all of the signs we are speculating about here are TRIB signs, not RAPTURE signs as the Rapture doesn't have any. Even Israel becoming a nation is a Trib sign, not a Rapture sign.

But obviously as we see more and more Trib signs, which means the Rapture is ever sooner. Especially when we hear political leaders saying "Peace & Safety" today - just heard another yesterday on the maritime agreement between Israel and Lebanon. Maranatha!!

homemaker

One of the reasons I love this site so much is I can read the articles, and read the comments, knowing there won't be frenzied date-setting. I love knowing this site is so down-to-earth, so to speak.

But, confession time... Every day when I visit, I secretly hope there is some Biblically-sound post about when we are going home. Even though I know if someone DOES have a date, I would have to immediately discard it. I still foolishly hope... I am just so ready to go home. Do my work while I'm here, but I'm watching the clock. Or, watching the skies would be more accurate, I guess!

Someone said something about hoping they aren't driving when the rapture happens. I have begun actively praying that I can take my pets with me, and that I won't be driving, or doing anything else that will potentially hurt or kill anyone left behind. I know I can't take my pets with me, but I will keep praying, anyway. And I am skeptical that my prayer about what I'm doing at the time is a prayer that will be answered affirmatively. I know that will contribute to the chaos afterwards... But I hate the idea of having an action of mine keeping someone from finding salvation.

Christianos

Someone said something about hoping they aren't driving when the rapture happens. I have begun actively praying that I can take my pets with me, and that I won't be driving, or doing anything else that will potentially hurt or kill anyone left behind.
Oh, I can relate. In the theatre of my mind, I'd love to see myself in a crowded place when the Rapture happens and many people will see. Especially if we are changed instantly but the resurrection happens a bit more slowly - maybe there will be time to run to others or something. But more likely, I'll be in the bathroom. :oops: Maybe once we are there, we can share our "where were you?" stories - it could be interesting.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
There's a thread somewhere over in the fellowship area about where we could be and doing when the Rapture happens.

ChrisT

Great post!

I think it's natural, if perhaps unwise, for believers to be interested in prophecy and eschatology. However, as others have said, as soon as somebody tries to pin down a date, they immediately lose credibility from a biblical perspective. It explicitly states no man knows the day or hour, not even Jesus, only God the Father alone.

My interest generally begins and ends with the "signs of the times." While obsession over the rapture or tribulation can be counterintuitive, I do believe a lot of the confusion of the modern world is not in spirit different than in Jesus' era: O ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky; but can ye not discern the signs of the times? While it's painfully obvious to the believer that prophetic time markers have been fulfilled with quickening pace since at least WWII, non-believers have become increasingly vain in their own perceived wisdom, formulating innumerable 'scientific' and pseudo-scientific theories (climate change, extraterrestrials progenitors and saviours etc.), which ultimately attempt to discredit the gospel truth.

Back