RCC's claim to Peter

Set free 47

Peter led the church at the time of Pentecost, Acts 2. But like other times in Scripture, God uses a person for a while and then the chosen person has to step aside; it is transitional. Peter fulfilled God's purpose in jump starting the church presenting the gospel, showing that the church is no longer under the law, like in Acts 10, forbidden foods, and also bringing in the first gentile Cornelius. We see later that others like Paul are chosen to lead the church. So, we can see that the RCC's insisting that Peter and his successors having continuous supreme leadership is not Scriptural.

Last edited:

paul289

Leadership of the Church is in Jesus Christ. Elders and pastors are appointed to lead local congregations, but nowhere in the New Testaments is anyone appointed as head of the whole Church.

Of course, this lack of scriptural evidence for their leadership is why the Catholic Church must also invoke Tradition as equal in authority to Scripture, so that they can just make things up, and then if they're practiced for long enough, then they become "tradition," and thus valid, according to what they believe.

Jaybird

They don't need Scripture as a basis for any of their beliefs because they believe the Pope is basically representing Christ on earth and in this capacity has the right to create any tradition or precept that he chooses. When the RCC had absolute power they forcibly crushed all resistance to their supposed authority by killing innocent people. The Pope represents Christ? Did Christ set this example during His ministry on earth? This church has the nerve to officially condemn Protestants (anathema they call it) to Hell because they don't follow their dogma. Jesus even forgave those who crucified him. And they call us blasphemers.

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
The RCC is the biggest cult to ever exist.
They and their heretical teachings come from the pits of Hell.
One of , if not the worst , teachings they teach and hang their hat on, is that there is no salvation outside of the RCC teachings.
They call themselves the Universal church as if:fish didn't die for anyone other than Catholics. Yet, they have a priest to go to for confession, and you are not to call a man in the church Father.

Jaybird

I am so vexed by this cult. I have many family members and friends who believe in all of these false doctrines. They are good people, but they need to see the truth of the Gospel. I was raised in this muck until I went off to college. I thank God he showed me the real truth of who Jesus really is. It just kills me that I can't make make them see the Truth.

Set free 47

There is a term for this Jaybird: they are "spoon fed" these dogmas from childhood. They are told to read their catechism, not just rely on the Bible. I watched some of their EWTN TV Channel and they were having some priest explaining that the Bible cannot be taken alone; it must have their church teaching (scripture and tradition.) Justification thru faith alone is anathema to their leadership. Instead, their members are on an endless treadmill they call a "journey" to work their way to heaven. Unfortunately, too many supposed Bible believing churches have cleverly added works to faith in order to be saved.

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
There is a term for this Jaybird: they are "spoon fed" these dogmas from childhood. They are told to read their catechism, not just rely on the Bible. I watched some of their EWTN TV Channel and they were having some priest explaining that the Bible cannot be taken alone; it must have their church teaching (scripture and tradition.) Justification thru faith alone is anathema to their leadership. Instead, their members are on an endless treadmill they call a "journey" to work their way to heaven. Unfortunately, too many supposed Bible believing churches have cleverly added works to faith in order to be saved.
Exactly they are brainwashed in the Catholic teachings. The :bible is the only truth we need not to add or take away from Gods word.:bible

Seashell

If the Catholics were really saved, they wouldn't be going to a man to confess their sins. There is only 1 mediator between God and man :fish . Also, Peter is not the rock:fish is.
You do have to admit though that Jesus changed Simon’s name to Peter and the name Peter means Rock or Stone. Just Sayin!

Seashell

If you ever chose to read the Catechism, you would see where everything they teach is backed up in the Bible. It’s in footnotes at the bottom of every page says where you can find that in scripture.

Seashell

Thessalonians-2:15Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

Seashell

It is when we believe the gospel that we are forgiven, saved, and receive eternal life: it is a gift from God, not from some priest.
Of course it’s from Jesus and not anybody else. All Catholics know that. Jesus died on the Cross for our Sins. The Sacrements are just tools given to us from God to help us be better people. All the Churches which were started by Apostles have Confession. The Ethiopian, Armenian, Greek Orthodox, Byzantine and the Roman as well as others which I can’t remember all the names.

Last edited:

Seashell

I’m done, sometimes I just get irritated because I feel like you are not truly educated about what Eastern and Western Catholics believe and you say things that are just mean spirited and not educated in truth about what they think. I’m sorry and I won’t write any more. With Love in Christ.

Back