Hershey warns of looming Halloween candy shortage

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
You never had those? If you can find a store that sells vintage candy..you might find them..Try the NC mountains..or Virginia and Kentucky...
Those I remember. Never had any though.
There were also the miniature wax coke bottles that were filled with some kind of sweet liquid.
Nik-L-Nips is what they were called, and they are available at Cracker Barrel restaurants in their vintage candy section. We weren't allowed to have candy very often when my sister and I were young, but somehow I was occasionally allowed to have these. They were my favorite treat.

SkyRider

Nik-L-Nips is what they were called, and they are available at Cracker Barrel restaurants in their vintage candy section. We weren't allowed to have candy very often when my sister and I were young, but somehow I was occasionally allowed to have these. They were my favorite treat.
Nik-L-Nips, eh? I don't remember that name. I don't think I never knew what they were called. It was one of those things I probably tried once and that was it. Just a novelty candy. But then fast forward to years later when I was living in Germany and then tried those liqueur filled chocolates. Wow! They were good!

katt

I love those little hard candies that had white power in them...I put one on my tounge and let it slowly dissolve..when it got to the powder it gently sizzled.. tickling my tounge..I loved them..when I describe them many folks confuse them with Pop Rocks..they weren't the Pop Rocks.. something different all together..to this day I can't remember the name of them.. except..it started with a z...

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
I love those little hard candies that had white power in them...I put one on my tounge and let it slowly dissolve..when it got to the powder it gently sizzled.. tickling my tounge..I loved them..when I describe them many folks confuse them with Pop Rocks..they weren't the Pop Rocks.. something different all together..to this day I can't remember the name of them.. except..it started with a z...
They were called Zotz, and they are available at Cracker Barrel in their candy section which is actually in several different places in the shopping area of this restaurant.

NewWine2020

Hershey warns of looming Halloween candy shortage

The Hershey Company – the fifth-biggest candy company in the world in 2021 – is sounding the alarm that they will experience a Halloween candy shortage this year.

The Hershey Company warned that it would not be able to supply enough candy for Halloween and the Christmas holiday season. The candy company blamed a scarcity of raw ingredients on the insufficient supply.

Reuters reported, "Pandemic-induced global supply chain disruptions and the Russia-Ukraine war have crunched supplies of cocoa, edible oil, and other food ingredients, pinching production lines of packaged food companies around the world."

Hershey Chief Executive Officer Michele Buck said on Thursday, "We will not be able to fully meet consumer demand due to capacity constraints."

Buck said that the company sources a great deal of its equipment and supplies from Europe – which has faced an economic downturn because of its reliance on energy from Russia. The invasion of Ukraine has also put a strain on getting products such as cocoa and edible oil.

Buck also noted that despite the candy shortage, the company expects sales to top last year still.

"Historically, Hershey's sales growth has been driven by higher prices and not necessarily volume ... The company is entering this period from a position of strength with that expertise," CFRA Research analyst Arun Sundaram said.

The Hershey Company saw its net sales rise more than 19% in the second quarter – raking in $2.37 billion compared to estimates of $2.22 billion.

The Halloween season is Hershey's best-selling time of the year – comprising approximately 10% of the company's annual sales.

The 128-year-old company manufactures some of the most beloved Halloween candy – including Hershey's Chocolate Bars, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Kit Kats, Mounds, Good & Plenty, Bubble Yum, Twizzlers, Jolly Ranchers, Whatchamacallits, Milk Duds, 5th Avenue, and Hershey's Kisses.

On Thursday, food behemoth Nestle said it raised prices by 6.5% in the first half of 2022 because of an "unprecedented" rise in costs.

Nestle – the world's largest food company – hiked up prices in North America by 9.8%.

Nestle CEO Mark Schneider said, "We limited the impact of unprecedented inflationary pressures and supply chain constraints on our margin development through disciplined cost control and operational efficiencies."

https://www.theblaze.com/news/halloween-candy-shortage-food-hershey?utm_source=theblaze-breaking&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=New-Trending-Story_WEEKEND 2022-07-31&utm_term=ACTIVE LIST - TheBlaze Breaking News

Perhaps "they"(the Globalists) realize that children have no concept or concern of taxes, energy prices or inflation BUT they wanted to make sure that even children had something to feel deprived and stressed over?

But seriously, the concerns we have now in the world, this fabricated concern about candy is so trivial it's stupid.

Who cares?

:)

SarahRose

This isn’t chocolate but does anyone remember those GIANT pixie stix? It’s literally just powdery sugar with citric acid I think. Maybe some artificial flavor added to make it whateverberry flavored.

There is a corner store by the house I grew up in (and now my husband and I live just down the road) that used to sell them and as a kid I would walk there, buy a tube of sugar and be on my merry way.

katt

This isn’t chocolate but does anyone remember those GIANT pixie stix? It’s literally just powdery sugar with citric acid I think. Maybe some artificial flavor added to make it whateverberry flavored.

There is a corner store by the house I grew up in (and now my husband and I live just down the road) that used to sell them and as a kid I would walk there, buy a tube of sugar and be on my merry way.
Ohhh..I loved those...so much better than the small ones.. remember the paper straws they came in? Until one got the hang of it..you had one collosal mess..ended up chewing the paper to get the wet clotted up powder out...then spitting out the thing in colorful sweet spit balls all over the place..it was delightful!!!...

I had to pick up a few items at my least favorite store, Walmart, there was no shortage of candy and no shortage of Hersheys.

I did notice the prices were exponentially higher than previous years. If I recognized halloween, this would be the year I began my boycott.

We don’t get trick or treaters here. I’m in a remote wooded area full of critters like snakes, alligators, and dogs. It gets real dark out here.

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
This isn’t chocolate but does anyone remember those GIANT pixie stix? It’s literally just powdery sugar with citric acid I think. Maybe some artificial flavor added to make it whateverberry flavored
Years ago there was a comedian who had a whole little pixie Stix skit centered around kids on the playground trying to get their "fix" from the playground dealer. I can't remember who it was but it was funny.
After all, who doesn't love a tube full of powdery flavored sugar????

SkyRider

Years ago there was a comedian who had a whole little pixie Stix skit centered around kids on the playground trying to get their "fix" from the playground dealer. I can't remember who it was but it was funny.
After all, who doesn't love a tube full of powdery flavored sugar????
Nowadays, with all of this fentanyl garbage going on, and the targeting of kids with Skittles colored and shaped drugs to entice them, I could see how a fake pixie stick full of that stuff could be used by subversive people. Pretty bad when your mind starts going in that direction because of all the crap going on around us these days.

katt

Nowadays, with all of this fentanyl garbage going on, and the targeting of kids with Skittles colored and shaped drugs to entice them, I could see how a fake pixie stick full of that stuff could be used by subversive people. Pretty bad when your mind starts going in that direction because of all the crap going on around us these days.
I remember when we quit going trick or treating and started going to parties because of things like razer blades in apples..the police started offering the scanning of candy way back in the late 60's..so tampering with Halloween candy is really nothing new..unless one wants to count less than a hundred years ago as being recent..

SarahRose

Ohhh..I loved those...so much better than the small ones.. remember the paper straws they came in? Until one got the hang of it..you had one collosal mess..ended up chewing the paper to get the wet clotted up powder out...then spitting out the thing in colorful sweet spit balls all over the place..it was delightful!!!...
Yes!!! Or fun dip? I think that’s what it was called. Just dunking a sugar stick into pockets of more sugar?! Amazing

Back