Teachers

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Teachers
By Nathele Graham

It’s a sign of the times that Scripture is not being taught. Too many Christians don’t care to take the time to study – truly study – Scripture. That leaves them open to accept wishy-washy teaching from the pulpit. Many pastors will only preach sermons that are “user friendly” and quote from secular, non-Christian sources, rather than stand upon the authority of Biblical truth. This causes a “dumbing down” of many Christians. If your pastor is a Christ-centered, Scripture preaching teacher, be thankful. There are a remnant few who honor God’s authority. It was very important to Jesus that His truth be taught. After the Resurrection, He met with His disciples on the shores of Galilee. Peter was there, even though he had denied knowing Christ during the trial. He must have been very uneasy at that meeting with the risen Lord, but Jesus knew his heart. Jesus specifically told Peter to feed the flock. That didn’t mean to have a potluck. Peter fed the flock on God’s word. You’ll find the account in the Gospel of John chapter 21. The Apostle Paul was another man whose life was completely changed when He met Jesus. His life should be the model for missionary work. He spread the Gospel. Paul also taught young pastors how to lead their congregations in the way of the Lord. One of those men was Timothy. Paul knew Timothy had been grounded in Scripture since he was a child, and he shouldn’t deviate from truth, nor should he follow “trends” or use gimmicks to spread the Good News of Christ.

“But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; and that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.” – 2 Timothy 3:14-17.

Reproof? Correction? Instruction in righteousness? That’s not “user friendly” and means you can’t accept all manner of sin into the congregation and say it’s OK. Scripture needs to be written on the heart of every Christian, both Old and New Testament Scripture. Feed the sheep and the lambs with good, nourishing food. Milk will help the lambs grow, but the meat of God’s word must be offered so the older Christians can grow stronger. In order to grow in Christ, we all need to study God’s word and use it as our standard of living.

Paul wasn’t a very nice person in his younger years. After Christ dramatically met Paul on the Road to Damascus, Paul was changed from a murderous, angry man into a man who served Jesus with his entire being. Let’s see what Paul has to say about watered-down, ear-tickling teaching.

“For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.” – Hebrews 5:12-14.

The recipients of this letter should have grown in their understanding of God’s truth. They were regressing instead of progressing. Although those who teach are to blame for their lack of instructions, shame on the students who sit quietly in their pews drinking milk, rather than growing strong in Scripture. The pew-sitters allow irresponsible teaching. Too many Christians put their fingers in their ears and think what they learned as a child in Sunday school is enough. Milk is just fine with them.

Some pastors refuse to teach from the Old Testament. By doing so, they fail to teach the whole counsel of God. By doing so, they deny their congregation some important teaching…meat for nourishment and growth. You see, The New Testament has its foundation in the Old Testament and the Old Testament is fulfilled in the New Testament. If you don’t study line upon line through Scripture, you’ll never understand creation and how sin entered. You’ll never fully understand why God had to step into His creation in order to provide the only way to save us from the final death that comes from sin. Study and see how Genesis chapter 1 describes God creating everything, and how the Gospel of John tells us that Jesus was the Creator. Read the first chapter of the letter to the Romans to see what happens when God is rejected as creating all things. Today, we have slid down the slippery slope and the evolution lie is taught as truth. We have fallen right into the perversion described in Romans chapter 1. The Psalmist understood how important it is to know the ways of the Lord.

“Aleph. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD. Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.” – Psalm 119:1-2.

How can a person “keep his testimonies” if they aren’t taught what His testimonies are? That isn’t just an Old Testament idea. Jesus fulfilled the Law, but didn’t abolish it. We need to keep the moral law. Jesus was our final sacrifice to atone for sin, and He is our High Priest, so the priesthood is no longer necessary. Later in Psalm 119, the psalmist wrote,

“Mem. O how love I thy law! It is my meditation all the day. Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me.” – Psalm 119:97-98.

The Psalmist loved the ways of the Lord, and “it was my meditation all the day.” What would happen to your walk with the Lord if you kept the word of God in your heart all day? Like the psalmist, you just might gain more understanding.

“I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep thy precepts.” – Psalm 119:99-100.

Don’t wait for the man in the pulpit to teach you. Pray that the Holy Spirit will guide you in your studies of Scripture.

To gain the fullest understanding of God’s word, it should be taught from Genesis 1:1 through the book of Revelation. In that way controversial subjects aren’t skipped. You will learn why God honors a one-man/one-woman marriage, you’ll learn how the heroes of the faith struggled in life just like we do, you’ll be amazed by prophecy, and you’ll know why God Himself had to step into His creation and be our final sacrifice for sin.

“For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little: For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.” – Isaiah 28:10-11.

Don’t be afraid to dig into Scripture, but do avoid false teachers. They are wolves in sheep’s clothing.

Scripture discloses that the time would come when questionable doctrine would be normal. Paul urged the young pastor Timothy to stay true to God’s truth.

“Preach the word, be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; and they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.” – 2 Timothy 4:2-4.

Today, I thank God for men like Chuck Missler who wasn’t ashamed of the Gospel and his teachings have outlived him. I’m also very thankful for my husband who stood on God’s word without wavering and drew me deeper into the study of Scripture. There are other very sound teachers of God’s word, so don’t be deceived by those who are leading the flock astray.

Bible teachers need to take heed to stay true to God’s word.

“My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation. For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.” – James 3:1-2.

James warned that not everyone should be a teacher. If a teacher teaches false doctrine or waters down the full counsel of God’s word, their judgment will be harsh.

The best teacher is the Holy Spirit. He is not a false teacher and will only lead you deeper into God’s truth.

God bless you all,

Nathele Graham
[email protected]
[email protected]

All original scripture is “theopneustos” God breathed.

If you’d like to be on my mailing list to receive the commentaries just drop me an email and let me know.

https://www.raptureforums.com/ron-nathele-graham/teachers/

DWB

Many pastors will only preach sermons that are “user friendly” and quote from secular, non-Christian sources, rather than stand upon the authority of Biblical truth. This causes a “dumbing down” of many Christians.
This is one of the main reasons I seldom attend church. The lessons are always something from the four gospels or one of Christ's earthly miracles. Nothing of the Resurrected Christ and his revelations to the Apostle Paul which our doctrine to live by. IMHO many pastors are more concerned with pastoring the congregation and not preaching the Gospel.

cheeky200386

This is one of the main reasons I seldom attend church. The lessons are always something from the four gospels or one of Christ's earthly miracles. Nothing of the Resurrected Christ and his revelations to the Apostle Paul which our doctrine to live by. IMHO many pastors are more concerned with pastoring the congregation and not preaching the Gospel.
I believe God wants us not to forsake fellowship. Keep on praying for God to lead you to a Bible Believing church with a God fearing Pastor. If he was able to lead me to one in MA, he can definitely do it for you.

An isolated Christian is a vulnerable one.

Andy C

I believe God wants us not to forsake fellowship. Keep on praying for God to lead you to a Bible Believing church with a God fearing Pastor. If he was able to lead me to one in MA, he can definitely do it for you.

An isolated Christian is a vulnerable one.
Sadly, many live in areas where a solid bible teaching church is not possible to find.

I dont believe a Christian who does not attend a church is more vulnerable. Not reading His Word on a regular basis could certainly cause one to be more open for a satanic attack.

There are many ways to fellowship in the absence of attending church. I do think church attendance is important, but its not a sign of a more mature or stronger Christian.

Jaybird

Sadly, many live in areas where a solid bible teaching church is not possible to find.

I dont believe a Christian who does not attend a church is more vulnerable. Not reading His Word on a regular basis could certainly cause one to be more open for a satanic attack.

There are many ways to fellowship in the absence of attending church. I do think church attendance is important, but its not a sign of a more mature or stronger Christian.
My church offers its Sunday service online so perhaps you could find a church in a nearby city that you could not travel to but could at least stream the service. It's better than nothing at all.

Andy C

My church offers its Sunday service online so perhaps you could find a church in a nearby city that you could not travel to but could at least stream the service. It's better than nothing at all.
Thanks, but the church I have been attending for the last several years is a solid church.

Jaybird

I
Thanks, but the church I have been attending for the last several years is a solid church.
I didn't mean you specifically - just anyone who doesn't have a local church to attend. It took me a long while to find the right place when I moved so I know the struggle. :):):):):)

SarahRose

I agree.

I think it just depends on the person. I’ve known some really strong Christians who didn’t attend church and some weaker ones who did, and vice versa. We’re all different and God knows our hearts and our situations.

cheeky200386

It makes them an obedient Christian. It's one thing if you literally can't find anything near you, but I've met and heard many Christians just cross their arms and give up looking. They stay content and just grumble about churches. That's where prayer and trusting God to find the church is crucial.

Trust me I was almost there and wanted to just give up in MA, crazy liberal state. Yet I knew what God says about assembling and the value of doing so. I prayed and months later he led me to Adam's Square Baptist Church where I grew iny Faith until I moved to FL.

Andy C

It makes them an obedient Christian. It's one thing if you literally can't find anything near you, but I've met and heard many Christians just cross their arms and give up looking. They stay content and just grumble about churches. That's where prayer and trusting God to find the church is crucial.

Trust me I was almost there and wanted to just give up in MA, crazy liberal state. Yet I knew what God says about assembling and the value of doing so. I prayed and months later he led me to Adam's Square Baptist Church where I grew iny Faith until I moved to FL.
From Jack, which I agree with

Question: What is your view or opinion on whether we should or shouldn’t go to church? My sister, who by the way is the one who told me about your site, said she read on the site that you said believers don’t have to go to church. Does the Bible speak to this specifically? I know our salvation doesn’t depend on it but shouldn’t we be a part of a body of believers?
Answer: I think attending a church can be beneficial, providing you can find one that’s focused on the Bible, and enjoying periodic fellowship with other believers is likewise good for us. But in my opinion there’s no Biblical requirement for a believer to attend Church. Paul said we should not let anyone judge us with regard to this (Colossians 2:16). He also said that one man considers one day more sacred than another, while another man sees all days alike. Each one should be convinced in his own mind (Romans 14:5).

Hebrews 10:25 says we shouldn’t give up meeting together, but this can be accomplished in a group Bible study, a home fellowship group, or other such meeting and does not mandate Church attendance.

In other words, if you think attending a church is the right thing to do then you should do it. But you shouldn’t let any one tell you it’s wrong if you don’t.
https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/is-church-attendance-mandatory/

cheeky200386

From Jack, which I agree with

Question: What is your view or opinion on whether we should or shouldn’t go to church? My sister, who by the way is the one who told me about your site, said she read on the site that you said believers don’t have to go to church. Does the Bible speak to this specifically? I know our salvation doesn’t depend on it but shouldn’t we be a part of a body of believers?
Answer: I think attending a church can be beneficial, providing you can find one that’s focused on the Bible, and enjoying periodic fellowship with other believers is likewise good for us. But in my opinion there’s no Biblical requirement for a believer to attend Church. Paul said we should not let anyone judge us with regard to this (Colossians 2:16). He also said that one man considers one day more sacred than another, while another man sees all days alike. Each one should be convinced in his own mind (Romans 14:5).

Hebrews 10:25 says we shouldn’t give up meeting together, but this can be accomplished in a group Bible study, a home fellowship group, or other such meeting and does not mandate Church attendance.

In other words, if you think attending a church is the right thing to do then you should do it. But you shouldn’t let any one tell you it’s wrong if you don’t.
https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/is-church-attendance-mandatory/
I disagree with the last statement. It's not about me thinking it's right, it's what we are told to do in the Bible. We are commanded not to forsake the assembly. Not my opinion nor command.

Remember, I'm not talking about Christians that literally can't attend church due to disabilities or because there is actually nothing near them. Like living in the middle of nowhere. Even then, I don't know how often that is actually the case.

I'm speaking about Christians that give up on the church because they don't believe God can find them somewhere to assemble. There are many like them that are just looking for a reason to stay home because they've been burned before and so they give up on the whole thing.

daygo

Try living in the UK.

Andy C

I disagree with the last statement. It's not about me thinking it's right, it's what we are told to do in the Bible. We are commanded not to forsake the assembly. Not my opinion nor command.

Remember, I'm not talking about Christians that literally can't attend church due to disabilities or because there is actually nothing near them. Like living in the middle of nowhere. Even then, I don't know how often that is actually the case.

I'm speaking about Christians that give up on the church because they don't believe God can find them somewhere to assemble. There are many like them that are just looking for a reason to stay home because they've been burned before and so they give up on the whole thing.
I think its more likely some have been taught, and yelled at from the pulpit, that they MUST attend church. I have heard that before, and I came away feeling he was only interested in getting the offering baskets full.

We are in the end times, and as predicted in the bible, many false teachers have taking over churches, leaving a huge portion of His church to seek out fellowship in other places.

The best teaching I expose myself to first thing every morning is sitting here, in my chair, bible in hand, learning from the Holy Spirit, His Word.

We are called to fellowship together, and that can come in many different ways.

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...
Iron sharpens Iron...

Fellowship is important. It is helpful. It is strengthening.

Fellowship with darkness, pollution, compromise is not at all good.

Remember Fellowship is not exposure. We do need to confront darkness, error, unbelief. However we are to be wise and not self-destructive in the process.

The Lord will provide and guide us. Pray earnestly. Perhaps it will primarily be the open doors of our homes where Truth will be shared during the last days.

Back